Help Folk, I know it can be bad! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help Folks, I know it can be bad! Help again! :(

I went out this morning and found the LC with a dead battery. My neighbor was walking by and offered to help me with the jump. So, I went back to the house got my backup battery. He connected the jumper cable. I was sitting at the wheel, then I heard, "oh, s***" I jumped and saw he had connnected the cables incorrectly with smoke coming from the battery.:mad: I quickly disconnected and told him to get away from the LC.

So, no fire, but the LC does not start now - it cranks, but it will not start. :frown:

Any thoughts? I checked the fuses and they are good, but I cannot check the main rely.

Thank you! This is not what I had planned this Sunday!:frown:

Last edited:
He probably blew a fusible link. Cheap from Toyota (~$15), and replaced as a set.

This is also why, when I need a jump/jumping someone, I do the connections myself.

Thank you! Any idea where this fusible link is located?

Right off the positive post on the battery. There are three of them... Here's a pic of what they look like.
fusible links.JPG

Okay, I removed them, but I could only get the first part of the connection depicted around your red line. I take I need to change both, right?
connection.jpg

Last edited:
Is this guy an idiot?
If you blew a fusible link in would not crank over. I would check the 15A EFI fuse in the engine conpartment.

Is this guy an idiot?
If you blew a fusible link in would not crank over. I would check the 15A EFI fuse in the engine conpartment.

I took the EFI main fuse relay out, also, I will get it checked at the dealer. yes, the LC cranks, but it will not start, so there is juice going to the motor, but no fuel. I wonder if the EC is fried. Shucks.....:crybaby: But if the EC is fried the LC should not crank, right?

Oops!!:eek:

If you blew a fusible link in would not crank over.

Sure it would. The starter is connected directly to the battery. The motor will not fire, though.

I would check the 15A EFI fuse in the engine conpartment.

Not a bad idea, either.

Check all wires up by the battery,you can use a piece of copper wire inplace of the fuse until you get a link.Got to be a fuse or link.my 2 cents

I went out this morning and found the LC with a dead battery. My neighbor was walking by and offered to help me with the jump. So, I went back to the house got my backup battery. He connected the jumper cable. I was sitting at the wheel, then I heard, "oh, s***" I jumped and saw he had connnected the cables incorrectly with smoke coming from the battery.:mad: I quickly disconnected and told him to get away from the LC.

NOW you can see why I did THIS:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/234463-how-worlds-most-expensive-jumper-cables.html

For all you nay-sayers :flipoff2:

Sure it would. The starter is connected directly to the battery. The motor will not fire, though.

Not a bad idea, either.
The EFI fuse is good! I don't know about the EFI main Rely!

I think you'll be OK - don't panic. Crossing the jumpers is a common ocurrance and I'd bet the fuses and fusible links were designed specifically for this most likely scenario. I'd bitch slap your neighbor though, then yourself for letting someone hook up jumpers...

DougM

I think you'll be OK - don't panic. Crossing the jumpers is a common ocurrance and I'd bet the fuses and fusible links were designed specifically for this most likely scenario. I'd bitch slap your neighbor though, then yourself for letting someone hook up jumpers...

DougM

Well, I cannot bitch slap him, because he came over when I was checking out the fuses with an apology and a brew - I have to bitch slap myself! You know I was about to say no thanks, it is okay and I thought I have got to be a good neighbor!:frown:

I have got to get those fusible links and the EFI main rely and it is SUNDAY!

Probably too late now, but you can buy fusible link wire at NAPA in a pinch. Unfortunately, I don't know what sizes but you can probably search here and find that information. I agree with the others that the fusible links are the likely thing to blow when a battery is hooked up incorrectly.

-B-

Reminds me to get a set of backups to keep in the glove box along with spare fuses.

Its always good to use a DMM and ohm out the fuses and check voltage to test points to find out whats going on.

also i remember there is a chance the voltage could damage the ECM.

Well, I ordered them for $15.00 or so! I hope that's all that has gone wrong, if not it is going to cost 1k or more...:frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom