help fj40jim carb rebuild runs like crap now (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it is the emissions box I have a friend here in town that can solder circuit boards.

Is it able to drive into Fresno. If not I can head up there next week, I was planing on heading up there next week some time I just keep having stuff come up. I'm thinking if It wont idle with the idle solenoid jumped you have another issue. Down load the emissions book and we can also look at mine and go over your system.

Ya it's driveable but not very fun. I'm in the process of moving just down the road so i might not be avaiable till next week.

I just replaced the black emissions controller with one out of another fj60 locally here in Clovis and the problem is still persisting. Fuses are still good but still not getting proper voltage at the ICS plug. Are there any other intermediate fuses or relays the might be causing the no voltage issue? I'll get another emissions controller coming my way in case this one is bad.

Thanks for any more additional help that anyone can provide.

Have you checked all your vac hoses? Do you have a vacuum gauge you can put on it?

I'm unsure of how to exactly check for vacuum. I have a mity vac, does the truck need to be running while I diconnect each hose and hook it up? Do I need to apply pressure to the mity vac, or will the truck running move the guage? If you have time I could run it down to Fresno to meet you sometime this weekend. Plus I can drop off those bumpers at the same time.

Thanks

The cruiser is running really good now thanks to cruiserfj45. Thank you so much. Turns out the emissions controller was bad and after replacing it with two different ones I got one that was in working order. The grounding that was performed at the carburetor side of the ICS was re-spliced back into its original location in the stock loom. Now it runs like it did when I got the carburetor back from Jim C., sorry I was so jumpy to conclusions. I really would recommend anyone looking for a rebuilt carburetor to send it to him.

Thanks for finishing this thread.

Wanna send me your old Emissions Box ? I try and fix 'em ...

I actually gave the bad one to cruiserfj45 he said he'd like to do the same or he has a buddy that solders them back to working condition sorry. If one of the emissions controllers that I have goes out again I'll hit you up about it.

No problem. Glad you got the rig running right.

Glad to hear this got worked out. Sorry I've been off-line recently, hardware issues are keeping me away from teh interwebz. :crybaby:

Spike, do you need an EB? I could robably find one if I dug around on the shelf.
Sent one (in a truck) to the crusher last week, didn't think it was a useful item.:eek:

Spike, do you need an EB? I could robably find one if I dug around on the shelf.
Sent one (in a truck) to the crusher last week, didn't think it was a useful item.:eek:

Thanks, Jim, but I'm just stockpiling junk boxes. When I get 10-15, I'll take the bunch to an ex-aerospace solder-jockey I know to get 'em fixed. Not trying to make money off these, but since they're NLA from Toyota, and they seem to be a continuing source of irritation for us Kalifornia 60 owners, I'm thinking it might be nice to have some working ones around -- They'll probably end up with Mr. Algazy, anyway :rolleyes:

Ditch the Stock carb and get a DEGAS. :)

EEK! There is smoke coming from my new carb!

Edgar-Degas-Paintings.jpg

...or..."Hey, I added that Degas carb and picked up 11 horsepower!"

degas 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried several set-ups and the STOCK carb is the way to go. PERIOD... Especially a JimC stock rebuilt with the (HONEST) proper input on what you will be using your cruiser for prior to rebuild. Jim always consults prior to a rebuild from my experiences with him.

I have run several JimC carbs @FJ40Jim over the years and have had great luck straight out of the box with minor adjustments pending my location and need to fine tune to my liking.

SOME GUYS SHOULD NOT TOUCH ADJUSTMENT SCREWS...

J

Why is the DGAS not a good match? Ive been told that the stock carb has to be modified to function at its best. Ive adj my carb to a nice idle and it responds well and without hesitation. I undertand there are purists on this site as well as those who have very little landruser under them aside from a tub and frame.

I had a Weber (NEW) I couldn't keep tuned after about 5000 miles. Almost like everything wore out simultaneously. Went from being a nice fix to a weekend time thief. Seemed all I ever did was adjust it. As long I was on flat ground it ran fine but stuttered in any moderate climb. I couldn't give the thing away and finally pitched it in the trash.

I have one now in the sale section and looks like it will have the same fate.

I've run a Holley 350, Holley early Pro-Jection as well and still keep coming back to the AISIN for my DD or trail rigs.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom