help, fj40+2 grand, what would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi,

i have a few questions about the fj40 (79-83) that i cant seem to find the answers to so i was hoping you could help.

1. on a stock truck what kind of diffs do they have (locking, limited slip, or regular)?
2. what is the best lift kit out there (about 4", I'm looking to put 35's on)?
3. does anyone know of a fuel injection conversion kit?
4. what would be the best performance exhaust system for the 2f engine?
5. last one, (be creative lol) if you had a running fj40 with little rust and 2 grand to put into it what would you get?

thanks for your time

1, open diffs, 79-83 US spec have 3.73 gears, 78 and earlier 4.10's

2. don't know, I run 2.5" OME

3. why? I have never felt the need on any of my carbed cruisers

4. no clue, mine are stock

5. I would make sure what I had was mechaical sound, then I would do a suspension and tires, then winch or lockers........all depends on how ya want to use it.

5. Brakes. Every used rig I've ever bought has needed brake work in some form. Most have needed much more. Any 25 year old vehicle will need something, even with low miles. Like the man said, make sure it mechanically sound THEN move on to the goodies.

What are your intended purposes for said vehicle? Wheeling vehicle? Trail only? Expedition?

I think brakes are a huge fix, especially if you are goin with 35" meats....4 wheel disc's are a good thing...

I'd say Spring Over for your suspension...(search for SOA on here)

Lockers....(again search for "lockers")

Roll Cage....(search for....well you get it)

There is a TON of info on here and you can spend HOURS learning just by searching, welcome and enjoy!

2 grand hmm, like everyone says what is the vehicle intended for. The first thing I did on my cruisers was check everything is working like it should: brakes lights, horn, no overy heating problems etc.. Then I dumped 1500 on new wheels and tires on my daily driver. The other installed an alcan 4 inch lift and w/used tires I found for 30 bucks each. I also found fj60 wheels for 60 bucks. Then I bought one uf dem fancy locking consoles and aussie lockers I have yet to install. I use this one around town and fourwheeling ocnce a month.

Brakes, steering - go through them, and make sure they are in perfect working order.

That way, you won't kill anyone.

Brakes and steering ought to just about suck up $2K.

I'm into my rig for almost $20K, so far, since March of 2004. She's looking pretty good, and will be getting OEM PS and new springs this month.

Kirk

apart from the brakes, if you want to run the truck off-road, the single most valuable improvement IMO is a rear locker. Valuable meaning: most dramatically noticeable change for the bucks. I found the rear locker to provide a substantial boost in off-road capability and peace of mind to boot.

I have a 4" Skyjacker lift, but wouldn't know whether that's the 'best' lift to get; it was on there when I got it.

I very much like my new Bilstein shocks, huge improvement in ride on my rig (2 shocks were toast when I got it) and the new bushings were a noticeable improvement as well (stock bushings were completely worn down). Neither is going to break your bank.

And we rebuilt the steering box. Cost nada, only time. Nicely tightened things up.

sorry i wasn't specific about what i plan to do with my truck. it will be my everyday truck but i also plan to do some reasonable 4 wheeling :cool: (nothing major, but i need to be able to traverse rocks, logs, snow, lots of mud, and things of that nature).

thanks.

I would get it road worthy...dependable is another word. Get booster cables, something to tow with for emergencies. Drive it for a couple of months and I bet you will start finding what else needs to be done.

ctnista07 said:
sorry i wasn't specific about what i plan to do with my truck. it will be my everyday truck but i also plan to do some reasonable 4 wheeling :cool: (nothing major, but i need to be able to traverse rocks, logs, snow, lots of mud, and things of that nature).

thanks.

For frequent driving/trail rig. De-bug/tune it up first and foremost. Power steering is also high on the list of first things to do, and rear discs.

VTFJ40 said:
5. Brakes. Every used rig I've ever bought has needed brake work in some form. Most have needed much more. Any 25 year old vehicle will need something, even with low miles. Like the man said, make sure it mechanically sound THEN move on to the goodies.

WORD.

Spend the money on the following:
1) An Odyssey battery
2) Aussie locker for the rear
3) New complete brake job check the master cylinder also
4) My opinion is 35's are dangerous for the birfields.. Stay 33
5) Good tune up including valve adjustment, carb rebuild plugs wires cap rotor
6) Silver Star headlamps
7) 2" lift
8) Use the rest for gasoline.

Why dont you run it as it is, and save the money for when you need it because you busted something and need a new one NOW!!!

MrMoMo said:
Why dont you run it as it is, and save the money for when you need it because you busted something and need a new one NOW!!!

This is not a bad idea - I had to do it out of economic necessity. I got to know my rig well.

Maintenance work, while not sexy, will give you a sound rig.

Fix all that leaks first! Good place to start - again, it will teach you about your 40.

I went 4 inch lift and 33's - so far, so good. You can search for threads started by me.

FI is a good thing - search will keep you busy with posts to read. TIP: search for fuel injection in the 40 AND 60 forums (they both have the same engine - 2F)

Welcome and Good Luck!

Well.... this is exactly what I had to play with when I got my 40. 1973 fj40, mucho rust, $2000 to spend, give or take. Heres how I did it.
new sheetmetal, not preformed. Complete NEW brake system except for hard lines. Clutch, clutch master, slave etc..... OIL CHANGE, spark plugs, standard tune up stuff. BAsically I am more focused on being mechanically sound with all NEW components and will still have enough tire (33x9.50) to go wheeling. Also got some odds and ends here and there but mainly for reliability. Also got alot of paint so as I go along cleaning and detailing, everything underneath gets a new coat of protection.
I have to say, though. By the time my $2000 is gone, I will still need tires, Line-x and exterior paint. But thats what credit is for, right?

I'd say that provided the mechancal stuff such as the brakes is up to par...

POWER STEERING
That will make the truck so much nicer to drive it's not funny

Rear Locker such as a lock right

Gearing. Eitehr an Orion or an SM420/465.

Lift OME with extended shackles to fit 35's

VTFJ40 said:

NO DOUBT!!!!! Not the coolest thing to tell your buddies, but the capability of stopping is way underrated.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom