Help fitting champion 4 core radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Installing champion 4 core radiator. Boy, is it thick - and tall. Putting it in the way the old radiator (not stock) was installed, the hood is hitting the radiator cap. However, it can go lower without modification, the radiator is very close to the support. Is there a standard modification that needs to be done so it will sit low enough? Champion said that they were aware people were modifying them to fit, but weren't exactly sure what they were doing. Grind out the radiator support so that it can be bolted lower?

What are people using as bushings between the support mounts and the support? Mine were disintegrating, so I used 1/4" body mounts I had, but clearly those are going to have to go.

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5543.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

Okay, answering my own post. Not sure what that ways about me.

You have to cut the forward side of the support (unless you offset the radiator off the support a little, then you can cut the front) to clear the entire bottom of the radiator, and cut the hole for the petcock (he said petcock) bigger. Doesn't seem to really change the strength of the support much.

IMG_5546.jpg

This far down, the outlet and the trans adapters are now hitting the front of the support. this is where I'm hoping I'm stopping, about 1 1/4" down from where it was. I could notch for them and get a little lower, but I don't think I need it.

IMG_5548.jpg

Now, to drill and tap holes in the support (or just drill new holes in the radiator where the old holes are).

And we'll see how it sits.

Found some 1/4" weight room/gym floor tiles at home depot that seemed pretty tuff and I cut them up for shims. No access to conveyor belt material and Cool Cruisers is out of stock shims.

Yes, with electric fan

So, the champion 4 core is in. because the bottom of this radiator sits so much lower, and because the engine was moved to the passenger side, the lower radiator hose would no longer work. And the way the the lower radiator hose leaves the engine, the routing is very tortured. In case this helps anyone in the future, this is the NAPA hose 8943 worked.

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5555.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom