Help finding part (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1996 FJ80 and the ignition lock cylinder barrel rod has broken. (See Photos)

When looking for the part I see many that are for 100 series and other Toyotas, but not for my 80.

I have found the housing for the lock cylinder barrel rod, Toyota part # 45280-60290. However, I have not seen a photo of part # 45280-60290 that shows the internal barrel rod, so I am not even sure it is in there.

Does anyone know where I can get just the rod, or do I need to order the housing?

Thanks for any help,

Mack
IMG_2787.PNG
IMG_2788.PNG

Didn't you already start another thread about this?

LMGTFY

Whole switch assy. not little pieces.

Thanks for your help, and Yes, that was when I still had the engine still running and I was looking for a quicker solution.

The part you are listing is the electrical switch that attaches to the back of the assembly, not the complete assembly.

15229866708711070461202.jpg

Try this

Getting closer.... I need the part that connects the Ignition Lock Cylinder (69057-60030) to the Ignition Switch (84450-60270).

BTW... I like your 80. I have the same, 96 Dark Emerald Pearl - Now approaching 350K

Getting closer.... I need the part that connects the Ignition Lock Cylinder (69057-60030) to the Ignition Switch (84450-60270).

BTW... I like your 80. I have the same, 96 Dark Emerald Pearl - Now approaching 350K
I guess I'm missing something on how these parts stack up then. I'm not finding details on something between them. I've not had one apart.

Get with @slow95z and get the used parts from him. He says he's got them. Get the entire assembly with a key.

Thanks on the truck!
The Dark Emerald is a bit deceiving. Mine is actually black. I have the Chrome option for 96, the only year that package was offered. Many of the Dark Emerald trucks look black to me until they hit the right sunlight.

Well, I replied way back when on this, now it's my turn.

NOW I know for sure what you're talking about.

This appears to come as an assembly.

Upper Bracket Assembly, Steering Column, 45280-60290, Qty (1)
Steering Column Lock Bolt, 45897-12020, Qty (2)

My ignition switch assembly is still OK and the Key Cylinder is OK.

I had to stop at the warehouse for work, (about 7 miles from home) and it just decided it wasn't going to continue. it broke with no warning and the key is still in the ACC position, so I had to disconnect the battery in order to keep it from going dead. So, I took a bunch of stuff apart to determine the cause, then spent a couple hours trying to figure out WHAT you call it.

Since It's Sunday, I cannot get anything today, so I will be stopping at the local dealership tomorrow to order it and see how fast they can get it.

I'm at 331009 miles, BTW.

This is for a 1996 FZJ80 with 1FZ-FE.

I'm just thankful I wasn't on the road someplace random for this to happen. It took me about an hour to tear things apart to see the problem, but procuring parts will be some time, then I still have to figure out how to remove it, as the bolts on the column that hold it on are designed as shear head, so you cannot grip the head to loosen them. I will have to Dremel or saw a slot in the back side and attempt to unscrew them.

There is another thread in here about attempted theft of an LC in Melbourne, AUS, but his P/N are different because his is a manual.

Let me know how you came out on it back then and what tricks you may have done.

Reference search words:
Ignition Switch
Ignition Cylinder
Key switch
Lock cylinder
Steering Column

Last edited:
IMG_20220710_111653354_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220710_110429186.jpg

Let me know how you came out on it back then and what tricks you may have done.

Reference search words:
Ignition Switch
Ignition Cylinder
Key switch
Lock cylinder
Steering Column
Just now see post. I was able to the part used from someone that was selling a whole steering assembly. I paid a small price for the steering assembly and he just shipped me that small part that I needed.

If you are in a pinch. You can take the ignition switch (Part#84450-60270) off the back of the assembly and use a screwdriver to crank and run - Just make sure you have the steering wheel lock mechanism securely disengaged or things could get ugly quick.

BTW: The part is called an "Ignition lock cylinder barrel rod" and you can get them everywhere for a 100 series, but you have to get the whole ignition assembly for an 80 series.

Last edited:
Damn Toyota don't make this one easy. I've replaced the ignition switch and the ignition tumbler only to find it's this p.i.a part that is no longer available. Been broke down for 3 weeks in the jungle waiting on parts.

Toyota has quite the racket on getting parts in or to Hawaii. The local dealer charges 3x or more what parts costs on mainland. Mainland dealers won't let you buy parts online and have them shipped to Hawaii because it "undercuts" the Hawaii dealers who charge 3x what parts cost.

This was a helpful thread thanks
🤙🥃

Damn Toyota don't make this one easy. I've replaced the ignition switch and the ignition tumbler only to find it's this p.i.a part that is no longer available. Been broke down for 3 weeks in the jungle waiting on parts.

Toyota has quite the racket on getting parts in or to Hawaii. The local dealer charges 3x or more what parts costs on mainland. Mainland dealers won't let you buy parts online and have them shipped to Hawaii because it "undercuts" the Hawaii dealers who charge 3x what parts cost.

This was a helpful thread thanks
🤙🥃
in order to link these two threads, here is the detail to what I did.

If you can find a used column, then you can just pull the needed part from it.

I now have in my possession, an ignition barrel, brand new, from Toyota. It took me a full two weeks to get it. I couldn't have my truck down that long, so I got a used one that I pulled the part and replaced. I'm planning on hanging onto it at this time.

Part numbers are listed above.

in order to link these two threads, here is the detail to what I did.

If you can find a used column, then you can just pull the needed part from it.

I now have in my possession, an ignition barrel, brand new, from Toyota. It took me a full two weeks to get it. I couldn't have my truck down that long, so I got a used one that I pulled the part and replaced. I'm planning on hanging onto it at this time.

Part numbers are listed above.

Man that is THE BEST detailed explanation I have seen. Thank you for the wealth of knowledge and the detail in which you laid it out.

Usually finding fixes on mud is easy but this took a bit of searching.

I ordered a new assembly and it's backordered but luckily not discontinued. I'll most likely do what you did and pull out the new barrel rod and put it in my old assembly.

Mine went out with zero warning also. Pulled up to the ocean to swim and the damn thing wouldn't turn off. Had to drive it home and take out the fusible link to get it to shut off.

Glad I replaced the ignition switch even though it was the barrel rod that broke. I had a alarm installed 3 days before I shipped it to hawaii. The ignition switch wiring had been hacked in by a previous owner and it's amazing it never caught on fire. The alarm guy then proceeded to tap into horrible wiring and it was bad. No more clicker to unlock the doors but now after 8 years all my dome lights work, my door open light works on the dash, I never knew it lit up around the key ignition and it never dinged when the door was open with the key in the ignition. Seems my windows roll up a bit faster also. They really hacked the ignition switch up.

I'll let you know how it goes when my assembly comes in.

🥃🤙

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom