Help! Engine rebuild on 1 week old 89' fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish I could do that!!!! But honestly I don’t have the tools or time. I would love to learn all that but I’m just not there!

Jen

I like PitBull Pete's idea. And I'll take it one step further. I recently had a remove, rebuild and replace job done on a head that had two burnt exhaust valves. I was charged way too much for a job that had corners cut. I could have done it myself with the help of MUD for 1/4 the price. I've sworn off mechanics from here on out.

Anywho.. buy the remam, YOU swap it in and then rebuild the original at your leisure to learn, have fun, etc.

Save thousands, learn a ton, and a have the spare engine should you ever want to go back to all original.

If I go this route I’m rolling the dice... For the labor I would put into having another engine installed it could happen again. Don’t you think? I can get a low mile 120k engine from cruiserparts.net for $2250 and $2500 for instal.... but like I said below i’m close to the same price with a different engine and vin... from the guys I talk to locally since my head is good it’s looking like keeping my OG engine is the best option. ????

QUOTE="Seth S, post: 12931845, member: 61344"]
218k 3fe.

Lots of 80’s being parted in the mud classifieds
[/QUOTE]

If I go this route I’m rolling the dice... For the labor I would put into having another engine installed it could happen again. Don’t you think? I can get a low mile 120k engine from cruiserparts.net for $2250 and $2500 for instal.... but like I said below i’m close to the same price with a different engine and vin... from the guys I talk to locally since my head is good it’s looking like keeping my OG engine is the best option. ????

QUOTE="Seth S, post: 12931845, member: 61344"]
218k 3fe.

Lots of 80’s being parted in the mud classifieds
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the miles on an engine really don’t mean much. It’s more about how that engine was driven and maintained. Any used engine is going to be a risk. If you could get another bottom end, do a bore and hone and put in new rod and crank bearings, gaskets and seals. And put it back together and probably be good for a long time. If you can find a bottom end for $500-$1000 then you can save a lot of money and if someone can help you pull it you can save a ton more.

my 2F is at 210k miles and not burning any oil or showing signs of internal distress. I drive it as if it’s an old slow truck and change the oil regularly.

that said it’s all down to what you feel comfortable with. And what you feel is good value. If you don’t have the tools, space, or know how and no one around to help then you are probably stuck paying for all the work.

Unfortunately the miles on an engine really don’t mean much. It’s more about how that engine was driven and maintained. Any used engine is going to be a risk. If you could get another bottom end, do a bore and hone and put in new rod and crank bearings, gaskets and seals. And put it back together and probably be good for a long time. If you can find a bottom end for $500-$1000 then you can save a lot of money and if someone can help you pull it you can save a ton more.

my 2F is at 210k miles and not burning any oil or showing signs of internal distress. I drive it as if it’s an old slow truck and change the oil regularly.

that said it’s all down to what you feel comfortable with. And what you feel is good value. If you don’t have the tools, space, or know how and no one around to help then you are probably stuck paying for all the work.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I can fix basic things but I’m a mom and my husband isn’t a car guy.... I’m the car girl... trust me if I could do it I would.... but it would probably never start again if I was in charge..... I appreciate all your input guys!

there is no way to know the head is good until it is off and NDT'd

be wary of cruiserparts.net engines, a guy in CA installed 1 of there 1FZ and had issues, posted on mud here somewhere.

How did this pass smog if it had/has issues?

Sometimes you get lucky and find a repair shop with good reviews and who work on everything. Those shops are often very reasonable price and good at sourcing used parts as an option over new Or even rebuilt. I have a shop near me who I’ve had do work as well as my parents and good luck. It’s in Vermont so not good for this case but ask around you might find one that lots of people like. Then talk to them and see what they can do.

there is no way to know the head is good until it is off and NDT'd

be wary of cruiserparts.net engines, a guy in CA installed 1 of there 1FZ and had issues, posted on mud here somewhere.

How did this pass smog if it had/has issues?

Oh good to know .... I’m not getting an engine from them.... but did look into it as an option. Thanks for the heads up.... the engine was good and it passed smog the tapping sound was a bad lifter.... then after smog and a week or so later the engine started going down hill.

Nothing I read has me convinced the motor is shot. The bottom ends of these motors are really sturdy, especially at 218k miles. If you said 400k I might think otherwise. I thought something similar was wrong with my 2F. Turns out I needed head work. So I removed the head and took it to a machine shop. It turned our to be a bad valve. If your mechanic is unfamiliar with the sounds of these tractor motors you could easily think there was a nod knocking. They damn near sound like a diesel compared to other engines.

I may try to employee some SOCal LC friends with wrench turning abilities to help with this diagnostic. Plenty of mechanics are going to call it dead when it simply ain’t. just my opinion...

Man, Mark Algazy of Marks Off Road @65swb45 is in Burbank, seems like he could help shed some light on this situation.

@NeNeFJ62

Does it leak or burn a ton of oil?

No leaks and doesn’t burn oil..:the verdict is engine is shot and has been In the shop for a couple weeks now. I have it over at topline and they specialize in LC..: bunch of my fj friends have had rebuilds and work done and are stoke plus it’s 10 min from my house. Can’t wait to get it back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom