Help! engine cuts at 2200rpm..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
94 FJ80 with 93k miles, past two days, runs and idles fine untill revs to about 2200rpms then ignition cuts out and catches back at about 1200 rpms, will not get to above 2200 or so without total ignition cutout. Checked points etc. Any ideas? Could it be a throttle linkage issue? Thanks, Joe.

Checked points etc.

Wow I thought they stopped using those about 20 years ago? In all seriousness have you had it in any water lately? Possibly a little over zealous at the car wash? Any recent mods? Has the distributor ever been changed? A little service history will help. I wouldn't think that your throttle linkage is the culprit...

Moralien, ya got me. Should have said I did pull the distrubtor cap. Matter of fact, did happen after hosing the thing off, including engine and the distributor's never been changed. No significant service history save the full 60k suggestions. This help any? What's with the water thing?

It doesn't take much moisture in the cap to cause trouble. It's probably a wet distributor. Dry it out well and try a re-start.

Holy thread revival!
OK, so I have the EXACT same issue as JoeR did 6 years ago.... exactly as he describes... and I just pressure washed the junk and lightly under the hood...

Dan, you say it's the distributor, the first thing I pulled was the cap and looked at it, seemed dry, but it's dark, I'll check it again tomorrow...
Even though the dizzy was the first thing I thought of as well.... has anyone else experienced this? Or what else could it be?

Take off the covers over your spark plug cylinders, pull the boots, and check for moisture in the spark plug cylinders.

off topic?

I had a 2001 Maxima a bit ago and it did something similar. The computer put the car into "limp mode". I am not sure if a 1994 (OBDI) is capable of this but it might be. Car computers are car computers. Just sayn'.

How did I solve this issue? Well, I sold the thing and got an 80. Never been happier.

On a '94, I'm always suspicious of the wire harness that runs behind the EGR valve. Kind of a PITA to check, stick some cardboard (very temporarily) between the harness and the valve and see if it goes away - then remove cardboard!

g'luck. Dan.

On a '94, I'm always suspicious of the wire harness that runs behind the EGR valve. Kind of a PITA to check, stick some cardboard (very temporarily) between the harness and the valve and see if it goes away - then remove cardboard!

g'luck. Dan.

Dan you're gonna love the 3FE in your sig...

Didn't get a chance to do the cardboard trick... whatever it was is now dry from the pressure cleaning yesterday... works fine as i was suspecting/hoping... this now only means that i gotta an opening where i shouldn't and i didn't find it...

I will say this though, I'm positive it was something got wet that should remain dry. Not a coincedence that people have these exact issues after water cleaning thier engine... before i even told my mechanic friend that I had cleaned my engine, he told me "it sounds like the distributor got wet"...

I had this exact thing happen last week and CDan is exactly right. I was out crashing through puddles, and after about an hour I couldn't move over 2 grand. After some stupid tests (more on that later) I pulled my coil wire and found that not only did it have a nick that was carrying a lot of current on the outside of the wire, but also the silicone insulator on the distributor side had pulled away and let some water in. I dried out the distributor and changed my wire set and now I run fine. And just a word of advice, even though it is super funny for those watching, it isn't a good idea to test current by grabbing the wire while the engine is firing. I was on the side of the highway when I did it. I'm sure I made someone's day...lesson learned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom