Help! Engine choking out at 2000 RPM's!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the truck was running well, after my major tuneup, and then I power washed the chassis, underbody and engine bay on Saturday. She started up just fine that day, surprisingly, but on it's first journey today on the way to her new, custom exhaust, she started choking out right away at 1900-2000 rpm's, consistently. In Drive or Neutral, it's the same thing...she just dies like there's no fuel, or spark or something. The engine doesn't stall, it just won't go over 2000 rpm's.

I was so looking forward to my new exhaust system!:crybaby: Plus, she's going in for MAJOR cosmetic surgery on Friday for rust...or she's scheduled to. Can you gurus help out a novice wrencher?

Thanks guys.

Nick

First off power washing things under the hood is never a good idea it pushes water into places it doesn't need to be. I'd start at the MAF on the air cleaner and unplug things one at a time blow them out with compressed air to dry things out and plug them back in, check for a loose or disconnected vacuum line and give a good close inspection on the big hose connecting the air cleaner and the throttle body over time it can produce cracks in the grooves and the power wash may have opened it up all this may get you straightened up.
:beer:

It looks like your engine has lack of air. I had the same symptoms with another truck when I changed the engine to a bigger one but leaved the old(small) airfilter.
My point is, check everything related to intake.

Good luck!

This sounds like the classic hesitation that comes from the decel fuel cut system. Its located on the driver side fenderwell. check to make sure its not wet or that the vacuum hose didn't get knocked off when you were power washing it.

Ok, checked the fuel decel cut system. No hoses detached and it looks dry.

Checked and rechecked all vacuum lines. Can't find any detached. Checked PCV valve...seems to pass air intermittently from the wrong end. Ordered a new one...we'll see about that.

Mass Airflow sensor looks good/dry, with all hoses in good shape.

Arghhh

Update...no luck

So I spent some more time checking for vacuum hoses being disconnected today...nothing. I blew compressed air on the mass air flow plug, checked the air filter housing for water, basically went over the whole engine bay(and underneath) for things looking out of place...nothing.
I started the truck and let it run a minute...sounded perfect. Gave it a little throttle..still good...went up to about 2000rpm's and it happened again...CHOKE! I let the throttle go and it stalled. Engine was warmed up at this point. I started it again, and it was misfiring. Seems it got worse after it warmed up...and stayed that way. Tried it once more and it seemed ok at idle, but misfires pretty badly with any throttle whatsoever.
I haven't replaced the PCV yet(tomorrow), but I doubt it's that, right? It's so frustrating because it never ran better than just before I killed it with the pressure washer. Damn my OCD'edness!
Ideas? I'm so pissed off.:mad:

Nick

no news is bad news...

Installed the new PCV today...no improvement, no surprise. One observation though. The truck runs great for the first minute or two the first time I start it every day, then seems to stumble, misfire and choke out as I give it throttle. In other words, as soon as it warms up, it gets bad, and pretty much stays that way for the rest of the day.
I jumped the 'check connector' to see if there were any codes. No codes. Checked pcv hose, ok. Charcoal canister and lines look ok. Vacuum modulator works, hoses clear. Cleaned it's filter. VSV clear/open.
Mass Air flow plug clean. Throttle plug clean. Fuel pump works. Again, all vacuum lines look good.

The Dash Pot is missing the cover, filter and separator. Probably sprayed some high pressure water in there during the cleaning. The VTV hole seems plugged; couldn't fit a paper clip end in there. What's the deal with this thing? Would this be causing my problem? Should I try to push a needle or something in the VTV hole to clear it?

Where is the ISC connector I need to disconnect to test the VTV? I'm going crazy here. The local Cruiser Mechanic told me to park it in the sun with the hood open.
Maybe I try some brief prayers to the Cruiser gods.

Argh, again. :confused:

Changed out plugs...still no improvement. Still runs ok for 2-3 minutes the first time I start it up for the day, then gets progressivley worse as it warms up...misfiring, won't go above 2000 rpms. Let it idle for 1/2 hour, idles fine, but can't give it any throttle without severe misfire...changing out fuel filter tomorrow. At a loss....

It sounds like your TPS (Throttle Position Censor) has water in it. I was doing an engine swap in my GEO and pushed my car outside While I cleaned the floor. I didn't have the hood on the car yet and started to down poor outside. Pulled the car back in to button it all up before the test drive and I started having the very trouble you are now. It wouldn't go over 2000rpm. The engine would kick back in after the rpm's dropped to 1600rpm's. I did some digging and found out the water in the TPS would cause the computer to think your throttle is closed as you reach 2000rpm's and would shut the fuel off to your injectors until the rpm's would come back down to a normal level. I have not changed my TPS yet. but I will do so this weekend. I hope this information will help you out solving your troubles.

will pull the hose and try to dry it out...will keep you posted.

Nick

Fuel pump solved the problem...!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom