Help! EGR diagnostics. Am I an idiot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have zero idle on cold start. I also have a P0401 egr code. I’m assuming that’s what’s causing my idle issue. It idles, slightly rough, when warmed up. Going through the EGR diagnostics in my FSM and I’ve followed the steps. When I connect my vacuum pump to the egr on the right side and the left vacuum hose is connected the the intake chamber my engine has no effect when I apply vacuum. If I plug the left side and apply vacuum my engine dies. Would this still indicate a bad EGR?
I’m assuming it wants the left side connected to the intake chamber to give an equal force of vacuum on each side to cause the plunger in the EGR to activate and kill the engine.
Would this indicate low vacuum in the engine if I have to plug the left side to make it die when vacuum is applied?
I have a video of me going through the diag but I can’t figure out how to upload the video in the thread.

Any help would be appreciated.

92574772-ECE3-4665-AFE4-836ED390E005.jpeg

Make sure check the VSV, mine was rusted and totally frozen. I replaced the egr valve and vacuum modulator with no changes. Changing the VSV was able to fix my code.
Check all the metal pipes for air flow and the intake manifold passageways.

For videos you need to upload to YouTube and then post the link to the video on your post.

Working on 0401 myself. Personally I think I need to remove the intake & clear ports, but also looking at VSV & charcoal canister due to vehicle records and some basic tests I’ve done so far. Don’t have much of any real value to add, but for what it’s worth, with the same code, mine runs & idles in an ideal fashion, which is why I haven’t made it a priority. That is to say, don’t assume the code/issues with your EGR system are definitely related to running issues, or vice versa. Yes I know, not helpful 😜 the mystery continues... good luck and keep us posted

Make sure check the VSV, mine was rusted and totally frozen. I replaced the egr valve and vacuum modulator with no changes. Changing the VSV was able to fix my code.
Check all the metal pipes for air flow and the intake manifold passageways.

For videos you need to upload to YouTube and then post the link to the video on your post.
Vacuum hoses, vsv and vacuum modulator are new from last stint with this issue. VSV was the culprit then.

Ended up getting the HuddExpo egr delete kit. Idle is the same. Hopefully the code stays away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom