HELP! Diesel techs in Omaha, NE area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

If any of you are on the Facebook land cruiser page, you know that my head gasket blew and I'm currently TDY to omaha. I ordered the head gasket from Toyota and already have it and brought it across the street from my hotel to the mechanic shop. When I made the appointment they said they would do it, but when I brought it to them today they told me they wouldn't because it was an unfamiliar engine to them (2L-T).

So now I'm less than a week from having to drive back to Illinois and I don't have a firm answer from a mechanic here that said they'd do it (I don't have my tools with me so I cannot). I have a guy that said possibly, but he has to stop by to see the truck to say, Yay or nay.

Does anyone know of a diesel tech/mechanic in the omaha area that's willing to replace the head gasket and have it done by Monday?

I'm struggling here.
Thank you,
Andrew

What are your symptoms? Sadly with these motors its rarely just the headgasket. Usually the cylinder head is cracked (if it's the original). Also, just a headgasket is not enough to do the whole job. You'll need all the upper engine gaskets and seals. Toyota has a kit. It'll need machine work to swap components from the old head to the new one.

I'd be looking at getting the truck shipped home so you can take your time and do it right. You can put the savings of doing the mechanical work yourself towards paying for the shipping.

Yeah, time to ship that home and deal with it when you get home. As stated wisely, the head is probably 100% toast and you will need tons more parts than just a head gasket (also, head gasket has 3 different thicknesses... Without taking the head off, you have no idea of what thickness to purchase).

Good luck.

What are your symptoms? Sadly with these motors its rarely just the headgasket. Usually the cylinder head is cracked (if it's the original). Also, just a headgasket is not enough to do the whole job. You'll need all the upper engine gaskets and seals. Toyota has a kit. It'll need machine work to swap components from the old head to the new one.

I'd be looking at getting the truck shipped home so you can take your time and do it right. You can put the savings of doing the mechanical work yourself towards paying for the shipping.

Yeah, time to ship that home and deal with it when you get home. As stated wisely, the head is probably 100% toast and you will need tons more parts than just a head gasket (also, head gasket has 3 different thicknesses... Without taking the head off, you have no idea of what thickness to purchase).

Good luck.

Both are absolutely right. :( cracked head.

Anyone know of any available heads in the states?

I'm so defeated right now, I could cry... I have to leave tomorrow to go back home and the truck is going to sit at the mechanic's.

I'm so defeated right now, I could cry...

Many have felt the same pain with these motors. Upgrading to the later generation head is worth the peace of mind though. They seem to last at least two or three times as long as the original heads did. Toyota definitely did something different with them. The part number you want is: 11101-54121 . Should not be hard to find one. You should also order new head bolts and the Toyota 'Valve Grind Gasket Set' (upper engine gasket set). Just go for the thickest head gasket (there are a number of different thicknesses). Might consider a timing belt kit and water pump also?

Many have felt the same pain with these motors. Upgrading to the later generation head is worth the peace of mind though. They seem to last at least two or three times as long as the original heads did. Toyota definitely did something different with them. The part number you want is: 11101-54121 . Should not be hard to find one. You should also order new head bolts and the Toyota 'Valve Grind Gasket Set' (upper engine gasket set). Just go for the thickest head gasket (there are a number of different thicknesses). Might consider a timing belt kit and water pump also?

Do you happen to have the part numbers for the valve grind gasket set? i have the head gasket (11115-54021)... it was pretty thick. its looking like $1k for the head you've posted straight from toyota.

Do you happen to have the part numbers for the valve grind gasket set? i have the head gasket (11115-54021)... it was pretty thick. its looking like $1k for the head you've posted straight from toyota.

I'm pretty sure it's 04112-54103, but best to check with one of the Toyota parts gurus on here.

It's important you know exactly what head gasket version you have. The wrong one can cause the pistons to hit the valves.

Have a read through the manuals to learn about identifying the head gasket and the job in general. The first manual has most of the info you need for working on your motor. The second is a supplement with some specifics about the turbo and things like that.

RM520E (Main for 2L, 3L & 5L engines)

Dropbox - 2L 3L 5L ENGINE RM520E.pdf

RM582E (Supplement for 2L, 2L-T, 3L and 5L engines)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1joci2o0xtg6ujv/2L%2C2L-T%2C3L%2C5L ENGINE SUP. RM582E.pdf?dl=0

Just to confirm, I'm giving you info on the 2LT-II engine here. However this engine came out in 1989 which is the year of your vehicle. Do you have the 2LT or the 2LT-II engine? The parts you need a fundamentally different between the two motors.

Just to confirm, I'm giving you info on the 2LT-II engine here. However this engine came out in 1989 which is the year of your vehicle. Do you have the 2LT or the 2LT-II engine? The parts you need a fundamentally different between the two motors.

I have a 2L-T no e or II

I have a 2L-T no e or II

Glad I checked! Everything I've told you applies to the 2LT-II. :frown: Manuals included.

I'm surprised the head has issues on your motor. The first generation 2LT usually doesn't have this problem as much as the second gen. Many early 2LT here in Canada over 400,000km with the original head still.

Glad I checked! Everything I've told you applies to the 2LT-II. :frown: Manuals included.

I'm surprised the head has issues on your motor. The first generation 2LT usually doesn't have this problem as much as the second gen. Many early 2LT here in Canada over 400,000km with the original head still.

Mine had 432km

Well, if thats the original head, I guess its done ok.

Could consider a 1KZ swap or maybe 1UZ.
I'm thinking about the 1uz, as it's easy to come by and relatively cheap. My only concern is keeping it manual and getting my truck back to Illinois.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom