Help, diagnosing sound. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to do a diesel purge first, clean out any crud in the IP and lines then have the injectors rebuilt. For that price I can't see why not.
That's definitely a good plan of action, while you are at it don't forget to replace the fuel filter.

That's definitely a good plan of action, while you are at it don't forget to replace the fuel filter.

Good point. Plan on doing that as well. Will do the purge with the current filter, no need to ruin a new one.

I will for sure do a wrote up now. Sorry no pics as it was raining:
Hope this helps...

Materials:
Liqui moly purge (used due to the good reviews), 3' rubber hose, mason jar or any clear container. In line fuel filter if you have a return fuel line. Couple of beers wile you sit around waiting to use up all the moly.

1. Connect the 3' hose to the IP pump in place of the fuel line
2. Fill container with Liqui moly and place the hose connected to the IP pump in the jar.
3. Start up engine and let it run for 10 or so minutes to get all the old diesel replaced with the moly in the IP and the fuel filter so that the engine is running on the moly.
4. Run a few more minutes, make sure you keep enough moly in the jar so it does not run out.
5. Once I hear a smooth running engine I turn off so that the moly has about 5-10 minutes to soak.
6. Start the engine back up and run at alternating throttle until you just about run out of the moly. Example, rev engine then idle...do this multiple times. When I rev mine, I use 75% full throttle.
7. Once all the moly is used, reconnect the fuel line. Bleed to make sure no air is trapped per the FSM instructions.

Note: the B engines have no return fuel line so if you do just make sure that the return line is fed into the container as well. Be sure to use a cheap plastic inline filter for the hose you are using to feed the IP. If not, the return line will circulate the crud back into the clean container with the moly which makes the process pointless.

Engine runs much smoother, better revs as well as throttle response. I will still have the injectors rebuilt but I feel I removed a lot of carbon and other crud residing within the system removed.

I do run biodiesel at times and feel it cleans out the system. Problem is you never know who made the BD and if it is always clean without contaminants. I think for higher mileage diesels a purge is a beneficial procedure. Especially here in my country where diesel is CRAP!!

Please feel free to ask if you have questions or my instructions are less than you need.
Pura vida

image.png

image.jpeg

When I replaced the fuel filter on my B after import it was one of the dirtiest fuel filters I'll ever replaced. Ran much better afterwards with less smoke.

:beer:
When I replaced the fuel filter on my B after import it was one of the dirtiest fuel filters I'll ever replaced. Ran much better afterwards with less smoke.

Yes, the diesel here in Central America is 1 part diesel and 2 parts dirt/water. We all run a pre filter but still change the fuel filters more often than up north.

Just to update on the original problem, it was indeed a fuel injector.
Had them all bench tested and adjusted to the FSM specs. Did not have to replace the points. New washers were installed and for safe measures new fuel filter.
Runs very smooth, more power and sounds more quite.

Excellent Jimmie!

I found this to be interesting the Liqui Moly primary description line is in Greek.

BTW you need to charge your phone.

image-png.1292632

I know they are a German company and just recently started exporting to Costa Rica.

thanks for the heads up on the phone battery...I knew someone on this forum could offer useful information :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom