help deciding on which 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would also determine which one you want.

2 door, removable top, soft top, minivan-err I mean 4 door land cruiser 🤣, troopy, diesel, gas, LHD, RHD...

If it was me....

BJ71 in LHD, hard to find not rusty but they are in Europe.

HZJ73 in LHD, same thing as the BJ just easier to find.

LJ79 in LHD if I was after a Prado, 4-door and 3L engine.

HZJ75 in LHD if I wanted a Troopy.

HZJ75 in LHD if I wanted a pickup.

If I didn't care about LHD to RHD, HZJ77 out of Japan but as you can see, I am not into RHD.

If I was Canadian, I would go for a 2003/4 HZJ78/79 Troopy or pickup. And if I didn't care about LHD, most definitely a HDJ78/79.

Cheers

"Trying to pass much of anything in a 25 year old 70 series is simply a joke,"

In my 86 HJ60, I could not pass but in my 91 LJ77, it definately has the ability. I even passed going up hill today. Turbo diesel with a 5 speed and yes the 2L-T.

Still, RHD vs LHD is a decision he will need to live with as long as he owns and drives the vehicle.

"Trying to pass much of anything in a 25 year old 70 series is simply a joke,"

In my 86 HJ60, I could not pass but in my 91 LJ77, it definately has the ability. I even passed going up hill today. Turbo diesel with a 5 speed and yes the 2L-T.

Still, RHD vs LHD is a decision he will need to live with as long as he owns and drives the vehicle.
Yarp, turbo, engine swap..... swapping the steering wheel is annoyingly expensive with all the old bits and pieces. Im sure beno would be glad to supply the parts though :)

I don't like tiling bathrooms, or climbing Everest, so maybe I shouldn't import one. But this was what started it all.

SWB 70 series, it's my personal favorite. If it were me, with less years to my name and more money, I'd go for a LHD FZJ70.

Diesel, schmiesel, unless you really want to burn veggie oil.

swapping the steering wheel is annoyingly expensive with all the old bits and pieces

Don't even consider this. If you want LHD, get LHD. If you can live with RHD, then get RHD. But converting can be a nightmare to do correctly. There's a guy here where I live who's up to his neck in it right now. I feel bad for him.

people here have had...oh, gosh, just LOADS of fun putting turbos on their trucks

True that. If you want a turbo, get a Landcruiser that came with one from the factory--13B-T, 1HD-T, etc. I would wager that the engineers at Toyota are better at engineering than most of us are.

@gilmorneau I think there is one exception for the RHD to LHD conversion. That being the HZJ77, it was never sold in LHD so to convert is the only way to have that.

Not such a bad job if you have a LHD donor but still a lot of work. Can’t be done without welding and paint.

Cheers

Don't even consider this. If you want LHD, get LHD. If you can live with RHD, then get RHD. But converting can be a nightmare to do correctly. There's a guy here where I live who's up to his neck in it right now. I feel bad for him.

True that. If you want a turbo, get a Landcruiser that came with one from the factory--13B-T, 1HD-T, etc. I would wager that the engineers at Toyota are better at engineering than most of us are.

I disagree.

A turbo has to be installed on to a correctly prepared engine system.

And has to be designed into the system with longevity and reliability built-in.

Most people just slap a turbo on and then are disappointed with the results because they didn’t actually do what is necessary to force induction into an engine.

Cooling, fueling, and many other small bits and pieces have to be thought of before installing a turbo. And those parts must be maintained properly during the course of usage.

I disagree.

I think our meanings are similar, Beno just said it better than I did.

Cooling, fueling, and many other small bits and pieces have to be thought of before installing a turbo. And those parts must be maintained properly during the course of usage.

This is what I'd argue the engineers at Toyota did better than most home mechanics. Not to say that a good mechanic can't carefully and reliably turbo a 3B or 1HZ, for example, but Toyota already did it with the 13B-t and the 1HD-t, and more comprehensively than most home mechanics would.

Most people just slap a turbo on and then are disappointed with the results because they didn’t actually do what is necessary to force induction into an engine.

Agreed. And this is where aftermarket turbos get a bad reputation.

I disagree.

One of the reasons Rob spends a considerable amount of time asking the client how he or she is going to utilize their new turbo. Everyone wants to install their CT26 and head down the road. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom