help deciding on which 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to series 70 cruisers. Was back in my home country and saw a ton on the street and fell in love. Now I want one back in the states. I've done plenty of vintage German cars but never old-ish Japanese trucks. Looking at a couple, one already imported from Japan and one still in Japan. It would be regular use including some road trips, keeping it mostly stock, need it to keep up with normal highway speeds..etc..

First is pricey but already imported from Japan, '88, 4speed auto, 150k km,13bt engine.

Second is far cheaper, still in Japan, '90 5speed manual, 150k km, 1pz engine.

There is also available but seems to be the smaller 2lt engine.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Write Steve a check for the one with LCD. I’d call to see what’s on hand/on its way due to high customer volume as he frequently direct-sells without a chance to update the site.

I would never consider importing my own truck although others have. People have climbed Everest too, I just prefer not to put myself through that.

I got mine from Land Cruisers Direct, and I would buy from Land Cruisers Direct every time (Steve Jackson, in Missouri - not the "other" Land Cruisers Direct that is in fact a Papp operation - don't ask...LONG story 🤣) - if he doesn't have what you want, ask him and he will probably find it for you. If you can't find what you want, don't buy what you don't want just to have a 70. They're fun but they won't change your life, and if you buy a vehicle with issues, or undesirable features, or substandard engines, or rust, or whatever-the hell, you'll be sorry.

No way would I get a 2L or similar engine, especially not the turbo versions of that engine. Or a Prado. Or a Surf. I would get a Troopy or a 4 door wagon although I love my 73. I like my 3B a lot - it's trouble free and economical and I'd drive it to Alaska tomorrow without a thought. It is of course naturally aspirated...I got 99 problems but a turbo ain't one. And no way would I ever add on later. This is my own bigotry, your mileage may vary, but people here have had...oh, gosh, just LOADS of fun putting turbos on their trucks. :rolleyes::worms:

Good luck - don't buy a pig in a poke overseas because once it's here it's yours and good luck getting your money out of a truck with issues. These trucks aren't as rare as people think and more are coming in all the time, so buyers can be very choosey.

Comparing importing a vehicle to climbing Everest is a bit extreme. I'd compare it to people who tile their bathroom. It's not necessarily difficult but occasionally not worth the trouble and easier to have it taken care of. Depending on the state you live in, it's fairly straightforward.

That said, be sure to check out the 70 series classifieds on here. There are a few for sale that may fit your needs.

To answer OP question .. 13BT all the way .. ! the best engine among the 3 options you post .. sure you will take in mind overall condition of the Cruisers ..

To answer OP question .. 13BT all the way .. !

And, as luck would have it, being sold by the vendor the other members are recommending.

Plus, it's got the A440F automatic. What's not to love? :flipoff2:

Seriously, I like that auto in my 62 but it gets a lot of H8 around here.

Love the head cracker 1KZTE, Ive now done almost 10,000 ks of hard heavy towing on 15-20psi and no issues
The 1kzte/2lt 70s are way cheaper down here in NZ because of engine issues I think
Goes just as good and more economical than my brothers nissan 4.2 turbo diesels and keeps up with is ZD30 late model patrol

would have loved to get 80 series or 6 cylinder 70 or the 13bt but they like another 10 grand more than what I paid for my 1KZTE
Plus because this is considered a "light duty" its really mint, no rust , interior is immaculate, all bushes -steering etc are nice and tight,doesnt smell like a dogs behind, I think because people down here used them for towing horse trailers and lifestyle blockers and nothing really abusive.

Thanks for all the great info. I'll give LCD a call to get their input. Only thing I disagree with is that cars can change lives! :)

Simple question, will anyone else be driving your 70 series?

LHD vs RHD may be the first question you need to answer.

Ever try to pass a truck with a RHD vehicle? Yes it can be done but sight lines are not good.

My wife does drive all my vehicles but she would not be comfortable in a RHD car.

Trying to pass much of anything in a 25 year old 70 series is simply a joke, I've been driving a RHD vehicle and accept its limitations and I have had to pass slow vehicles with no problem, in a small rhd sports car may be entirely different, but a much taller Land Cruiser you can see over other vehicles.

Of those 3 I would go the BJ74. I'm not a fan of the A440F auto but it seems A LOT of JDM land cruisers got those. Worst case you could always swap a 5 speed if you hate the auto or it craps out. If it did crap out, there is no way I would spend that kind of money to fix the A440F, swap all the way.

Personally I'd see if you can buy this tire cover separately and put it on whatever you buy. :)
T-LJ73-exterior-5.jpg

I would be the primary driver with the wife driving on very rare occasion. She might be able to do RHD, but not manual. Would prefer manual but I'm flexible from that standpoint.

I never knew I needed that tire cover until I saw it haha.

There are terms that just seem out of place when used in the same sentence. For example "reliability" and "British automobiles" as well as "passing" and "diesel powered 70 Series".

... need it to keep up with normal highway speeds..etc..

Good luck with that. Flat road and plenty of time to get up to speed and you may be able to hold 70-75.

To be fair, my only experience is from owning a sub 100 hp BJ70 for three years. Acceleration was glacial. Slower than a 22RE powered Hilux/4Runner, and that's saying something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom