Help deciding on fj please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so you're not some noob who doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold, who will be posting up in a month asking for recommendations for a shop near Berkeley to adjust his timing.
You could probably deal with any oddities or Mickey-Mouseness that lands.
As always, buy the best body/frame you can find.
Pre-smog best in my book. Don't know if SA even offers these.
Brakes, steering, drivetrain can be pretty bolt-on.
For drivetrain; SBCs are boring, LS are getting there. A nicely put together Toyota straight 6 always gets attention. Search "Big gay 2F" or similar. A Toyota diesel would be sweet.

If you have to have one from Costa Rica:

Fly down, take a mini vacation, fix it and ship it back.

If I was looking for a 40 this is the one I’d buy. It’s coming from a known seller in the community who has a great reputation.

I don’t know what one of the SA rigs actual landed cost is…but I’d be willing to bet that it’s getting close to this? US spec rigs sell for a premium and in my humble opinion will maintain their premium well into the future.

I’d ask yourself this….with all the knowledge and experience that the guys here have why aren’t all of them running down to SA and buying up trucks? They clearly have the resources if they can afford to purchase US spec trucks.

I’d ask yourself this….with all the knowledge and experience that the guys here have why aren’t all of them running down to SA and buying up trucks? They clearly have the resources if they can afford to purchase US spec trucks.

not too many people wants to take a chance like this, going to a foreing country with cash without the language or knowing where to go and who to trust. same thing happens with japanese vehicles, they got s*** loads of cars there that a few of us would like to have here in the states.
even thou vehicles are cheaper a lot cheaper in other countries is still a pain to deal with all the paper work there and here to get it legal and being able to drive em here.

Land Cruisers in South and Central America were used hard. They were typically worked hard in a harsh environment, most were beat to death. Parts are scarce down there, so they are usually cobbled together with a mix of used parts to make a runner. The prior linked ad is probably a better starting point. As others have said start with a decent body. Mechanicals are easier and less time consuming than body work. This subject comes up often around here, usually after someone questioned what they bought.

Found one, flew there this week and bought it.
I really was looking for an fj43 but this thing was super clean and all original I couldn't pass it up. a folder with paperwork from when it originally enter Colombia, original purchased receipt, receipt for hard top, even for that rack on top from 1980, etc,
2 owners!
2f motor runs top notch, original paint unmolested truck. super clean. Never farm or work hard nor abused. The owner cried when he handed me the title.
No power steering but drove fine in the streets of Bogotá.
I'm still gonna keep looking for my 43 while this one gets here.

20220412_170353.jpg

IMG-20220329-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20220329-WA0007.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad you were able to go down to lay hands on it before buying!
That is a sweet looking truck, can't wait to see what you do with it back home.

I went and in the little time I had I was able to see 3 I had already contacted the owners before and we set up meetings.
Super nice and helpful they all understood I was in a time crunch and helped me out or picked me up in the fj even.
Like I said I after a 43 but the one I really wanted was too far.
So I ended up with this one because I know one of my buddies might want it down the road. I'm still gonna try to get me a 43 so I won't be keeping this one too long.
I did see a beautiful fj45 with a hilux motor and I tell ya she was pretty and pricey.
Great tip tons of fj40s and 43s on the road, lots you can tell they had been worked hard but still running great.

Looks like a nice rig. Interesting to see the "special details" like the weird top (ABS plastic????) and funky bumperettes.
It's fiber glass, Colombians fjs didn't come with hard tops so there were a couple of companies there specializing in making them with a 3 year warranty at the time, I have the paperwork for it with cerfiticate for it from when purchased which was right after the vehicle was purchased.

It's fiber glass, Colombians fjs didn't come with hard tops so there were a couple of companies there specializing in making them with a 3 year warranty at the time, I have the paperwork for it with cerfiticate for it from when purchased which was right after the vehicle was purchased.
I've seen them before, but didn't know that.

An interesting detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom