Help deciding how far to take my refresh project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm refreshing my '76 (well, 9/75, but registered as a '76) FJ40. I'm waffling between body-off or body-on, and could use some insight from people who have been there/done that. Primarily, I'm looking for guidance how the labor involved taking everything off of the firewall/cowl- wiring, steering column, brake/clutch cylinders, etc etc.

This is what the rig looks like right now, except with more bracing (preparing for quarter panel and sill redos):

IMG_20171210_113656942.jpg

This started as a project to remove the crappy old herculiner that a PO slopped into the inside of the tub, which of course revealed some rust and pitting that I didn't expect (covered by lots of bondo of course)... which then led me to investigate more areas of rust, etc. Which then led me to decide that I wanted to take the rig back to a more stock look (PO cut the quarters for 35's), and to redo a crappy PO rear sill replacement (it doesn't look bad in the pic, but it was done quite poorly). Right now, I have bought patch panels for the quarters, rear sill, passenger side wheel well, amb door bottoms, front door bottoms, and front floor boards. So I have some surgery to do as it is.

I'm going to take all of the peripheral body panels (i.e., doors, hard top parts, etc) to sand blasters for blasting and epoxy priming. I don't see any rust on the underside of the rig, but it's tough to tell with the undercoating on there. The clutch or brake master leaked at one point and stripped some paint on the firewall, which I covered with a rust converter for now. so that currently looks kind of crappy.

Anyway, like I said, I'm debating whether to take the body off the frame to get it blasted and epoxy primed too. My main constraint for this decision isn't budget, it's time. I'm currently working in a space on my parents' property since I don't have space to work on it at home. They want to sell their house this summer, and I only have time to work on the rig on the weekends. Luckily my wife is very understanding, so I am spending almost all of my time on the weekends on this project. And the rig is mechanically very good (SBC conversion, but it ran perfectly when I parked it).

Removing the body will give me a chance to clean up the frame and underbody, and repair any additional rust that I didn't know was there. But i'm worried that the additional work may cause me to miss my spring deadline.

So long story long, my question is: how much extra labor can I expect to remove all of the crap from the firewall, remove the body, and reassemble? I replaced all of the body mounts last weekend, so luckily that horrible project is behind me (eff those front body mounts!!!!).

Sincere thanks for any wisdom you can bestow upon this noob.

Pulling the body is not difficult at all.

I'd do it if I were you. You'll kick yourself later.

Thanks. yeah, the body removal itself doesn't worry me- it's more about all of the stuff I'd have to remove from the cowl, firewall ,and dash. knobs, steering column, electrical, pedal assembly, etc. How much time do you think assembly/disassembly of all of that stuff will take? 3 or 4 full days maybe?

If that's the case, I will probably just do it and have no regrets. If it's more work than that, I'm probably getting into the danger zone for my timeline.

If yours was safe and drivable I would say do a rolling restoration like I did. It can be very frustrating at times but to be able to drive it regularly helps offset that frustration. But seeing where you’re at I would totally do the frame off thing. There really isn’t that much in the dash (easy for me to say since my frame off is already torn apart and I won’t be working on it for several years). But I’ve been up in that area enough with chasing down electrical gremlins, improving The cluster lighting, installing insulation on the firewall, new cowl hoses, stereo, oil/voltage/temp gauges, and so on that it doesn’t appear to be too bad at all. Good luck!

Looks like you’ve been gettin’ after it. Now would be time to remove that stuff if you are inclined to do so. Since your seats and fuel tank are out, you have room to move around during harness removal and re-installation. I’d pull all the switches apart and clean them. Scuff all your harness connectors, coolerman has replacement terminal parts.

If yours was safe and drivable I would say do a rolling restoration like I did. It can be very frustrating at times but to be able to drive it regularly helps offset that frustration. But seeing where you’re at I would totally do the frame off thing. There really isn’t that much in the dash (easy for me to say since my frame off is already torn apart and I won’t be working on it for several years). But I’ve been up in that area enough with chasing down electrical gremlins, improving The cluster lighting, installing insulation on the firewall, new cowl hoses, stereo, oil/voltage/temp gauges, and so on that it doesn’t appear to be too bad at all. Good luck!

Your practilly there already.
What they said...you are 90% there already literally take the dash apart cut it get it cleaned up primed and put it back with new mounts and you are done with it and it will be 100%

Thanks. yeah, the body removal itself doesn't worry me- it's more about all of the stuff I'd have to remove from the cowl, firewall ,and dash. knobs, steering column, electrical, pedal assembly, etc. How much time do you think assembly/disassembly of all of that stuff will take? 3 or 4 full days maybe?

If that's the case, I will probably just do it and have no regrets. If it's more work than that, I'm probably getting into the danger zone for my timeline.

Do it.

I'm keeping a detailed spreadsheet for my total restoration. To completely break >everything< down into separate parts was right at 100 hours with me taking my time to photograph, bag, and tag everything.

I'd guess 2-4 days to carefully take apart what I see there. It looks like you're so close there's absolutely no reason to not do it. You'll be happy you did.

Hi, If you have children ,it makes a great teaching and bonding project. Let your budget dictate the scope. Mike

If the body mounts are new then it should be a breeze. Make sure you tag all the terminal ends on the wiring harness as you disconnect. Time will not be your friend but if you wife is willing to let you work every weekend, then it’s doable. Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom