1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - cruiser didn't wanna start.

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by doctorJ, Feb 8, 2004.

1. doctorJ

doctorJ

I had already driven into town and when I got back in an hour later and turned the key, all electrical systems trned on but no ignition. No sense that the battery might be low, lights came on strong and windows all working. Must have turned the key 10-15 times with no luck, then took it out and put it in and truned it 5-6 times with no luck - just all electrical components coming on as they should. Then one time I turn the key and WHAM - starts right up like nothing was ever wrong??????????? ??? ??? :eek:

Jay

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Check your batt cable at the starter solenoid for corrosion, looseness. Could be the solenoid going bad also, fairly cheap fix.

3. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

J -

Likely you'll get a lot of opinions on this one. When I have had similar problems - almost identical to what you described - it ended up being either the battery (or cables, connections, etc), OR the starter.

In the latter case, starter solenoid contacts are a sore spot on many Toyotas, especially Cruisers. If you add a "clicking" noise to you symptoms, the starter would be the first place to start checking. Many, many folks on this board have been down the "fried starter solenoid contacts" road...

Cheers, R -

4. doctorJ

doctorJ

yeah - I was actually hoping for the clicking sound - but none. My Cadillac STS did this a few years ago and it was the computer chip reading inside the stearing column - WAY $$$$$ to R&R. No similar setup on the cruiser is there?
    Jay

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    [quote author=doctorJ link=board=2;threadid=11201;start=msg101386#msg101386 date=1076257164]
    yeah - I was actually hoping for the clicking sound - but none. My Cadillac STS did this a few years ago and it was the computer chip reading inside the stearing column - WAY $$$$$ to R&R. No similar setup on the cruiser is there?
    Jay
    [/quote]

No, not on an 80 at least. 100's do have transponder type keys.

Another possibility that was not mentioned is the neutral safety switch. It is possible that the switch contacts are bad or that the gear selector was not "just right". The starter curcuit is live only in "park" and "neutral".
    I have seen one case where a leaking PHH dripped on the connector for the neutral safety switch and corroded the terminals inside it.

D-

6. BMT

BMT

My cruiser was going through the same thing when I bought it. The seller was really nervous about it. He replaced the battery and when that didn't work he had the dealer replace the neutral safety switch. After I bought it it did what you described and it was the starter.

7. rph74

rph74

Sounds like starter contacts to me. When mine went bad, I got no response when I turned the key, I just got one click, which showed that the starter engaged, but wouldn't crank. I would try like 3-5 times to get it to finally start as if nothing was ever wrong. It did this when cold, but never when warm.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf

Jay,
    You gave us your model year but not the mileage. The starter contacts have been going around 90k miles. If your unsure about whether your starter or the contacts have been replaced and your in that mileage range then that is a likely cause.

If it is the contacts, don't wait too long before getting them replaced. $25 in parts and a couple of hours of your time vs. several hundred for a fried alternator and a reman starter if you are unlucky.

-B-

9. Rich

Rich

Mine started to fail at 50k miles. Its the number of starts that matter, not so much the mileage. I expect most 7+ year old 80s that are daily drivers are probably due.

My symptom was that when trying to start the engine would turn one or two compression strokes and stop, as if it was jammed. Releasing the key and starting again always worked. After replacing the starter contacts the engine now spins faster on the starter than it ever did before.

Just for reference, I measured the old pitted contacts and they were beyond the wear limit in the service manual.

10. Pitbull

Pitbull

Take it to the local battery shop they will have the equipment to check everything out.

11. doctorJ

doctorJ

did a search on starter repair and contact repair - nothing. Should I buy these (contacts) from the dealer? Looked on Slee and didn't see them. Will I need the FSM I haven't bought yet or is there a good thread outlining this R&R elsewhere (pictures always help!)
    thanks
    Jay

ps - i would guess it is worth a trip to the battery shop just to check that out first?

12. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I'd skip the trip to the battery shop and just stuff in the contacts. It's pretty straight forward of a rebuild.

1. disconnect battery
    2. remove starter
    3. remove end cap from starter where cables attach.
    4. remove plunger and spring.
    5. swap out one contact making sure it sits flat in starter housing
    6. swap out other contact with same concerns
    7. re-assemble starter
    8. re-install starter
    9. connect batter
    10. proclaim your manhood to your significant other.

13. Shortbus

Shortbus

Yup.... the search function can be a little tricky here. I usually keep it to one word, as that seems to be about the only way I can get any results. I searched the word "starter" as follows:

- match all words
    - 80/100 series tech only
    - any poster
    - subject & message
    - 600 days
    - show 200 results

Came up with alot of stuff. Here's a link or 2...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=10617

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=10673

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9674

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=8816

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9411;start=msg82112#msg82112

And this poor sucker..... who asked, but evidently didn't search. No love for that. :slap:
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=8931;start=msg77434#msg77434

Hope that helps a bit.
    Brad

14. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> did a search on starter repair and contact repair - nothing. <<

As Brad said, searching is better using one word and an author if you know who posted.

>> Should I buy these (contacts) from the dealer? <<

Yes. Buy the 2.0kw contacts as I believe they will fit either starter.

>> Will I need the FSM I haven't bought yet <<

It helps but is not mandatory.

>> or is there a good thread outlining this R&R elsewhere (pictures always help!) <<

Do a Google Search using geiger starter repair The first returned result will be this link to a rebuild procedure. Chris Geiger is one of our regulars and he did this write up on a 4Runner starter but the innards will look identical to yours. His article has pictures.

The R&R of the 80 series starter will be covered in some of the threads given to you by Brad.

-B-

15. rph74

rph74

[quote author=doctorJ link=board=2;threadid=11201;start=msg102712#msg102712 date=1076449617]
    did a search on starter repair and contact repair - nothing. Should I buy these (contacts) from the dealer? Looked on Slee and didn't see them. Will I need the FSM I haven't bought yet or is there a good thread outlining this R&R elsewhere (pictures always help!)
    thanks
    Jay

ps - i would guess it is worth a trip to the battery shop just to check that out first?
    [/quote]

Here's the link to the write up I did:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9411;start=msg82112#msg82112

If that doesn't work you can find it in the search by typing in "fj100 contacts"

The FSM won't help you much, that's why I did the write up. The FSM was a bit unclear IMO. Any questions, just ask.

Chris