HELP! Cross threaded upper shock mount bolts.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to make sure the slotted inside and the hole towards outside on both sides?

look what I've started, sorry!!! I'm still looking for a definitive answer. One of mine was installed one way and the other in the opposite way...
I don't think that possible in less you have a bent shock.

Awesome! can anyone second this?!?!
Dude I posted a picture, like I said they only work one way . Several other poster have already confirmed this !!!!!!!!!!

The previous owner had some wonky things done service/parts wise down to the car. I know this because on one side mud is caked around the mounting plate in one direction and then the other side is the same :banana: I'm going to go with the slot facing out. I just went outside and took a look at how they fit and that looks most likely.They do not sit perfectly flush, I have wrench then down right?

Never underestimate stupid!

There were some things done to my truck that they had to WORK at to make it happen!

IMG_9025.jpeg

Curbside pickup at Ace Hardware saves the day along with the guidance from MUD
IMG_6147.jpeg

Glad you got it straightened out.
So what's next on the short list?

Glad you got it straightened out.
So what's next on the short list?

Rework the whole power steering system including rebuilding steering gear... rear heater hose lines leaking under the house on wheels. I want to install a fridge on board topping off the cake with an Arb bumper after all of that. I've got a build thread going!

Dude I posted a picture, like I said they only work one way . Several other poster have already confirmed this !!!!!!!!!!
Yes and this.

(When putting mine back together I got them backwards, with that orientation it makes it near to impossible to actually install the shock, it won't line up..... unless your talented)

View attachment 2266905

Curbside pickup at Ace Hardware saves the day along with the guidance from MUD
View attachment 2266907
Next time you use a tap, you should ALWAYS use a penetrating oil (or any kind of oil for that matter) when doing threads. It is cutting and cleaning and the oil is used to cool and to clean while you cut.

Also, even though you are in TX, it would be advisable to use anti-seize on threads like those, since you KNOW you will have to remove them again in a few years. It makes things much easier to deal with when you own a vehicle long-term.

Next time you use a tap, you should ALWAYS use a penetrating oil (or any kind of oil for that matter) when doing threads. It is cutting and cleaning and the oil is used to cool and to clean while you cut.

Also, even though you are in TX, it would be advisable to use anti-seize on threads like those, since you KNOW you will have to remove them again in a few years. It makes things much easier to deal with when you own a vehicle long-term.
Thank you for the advise, I used wd40 when cutting and I backed off quite often. What kind of anti seize do you recommend?

Thank you for the advise, I used wd40 when cutting and I backed off quite often. What kind of anti seize do you recommend?
I keep on hand the Permatex brand COPPER anti-seize. O'Reilly's carries it. Or Amazon.

I don't use the aluminum version because if I use it on a bolt that's going into aluminum, there is still a possibility it will seize due to the aluminum flake. Plus, the copper is higher heat and can be used on exhaust as well.

Amazon product ASIN B000HBM65O
Also, WD40 is not a penetrating oil (I used to think it was great also, but I've learned) PB Blaster is definitely a penetrating oil and works way better. O'Reilly carries that too.

I keep on hand the Permatex brand COPPER anti-seize. O'Reilly's carries it. Or Amazon.

I don't use the aluminum version because if I use it on a bolt that's going into aluminum, there is still a possibility it will seize due to the aluminum flake. Plus, the copper is higher heat and can be used on exhaust as well.

Amazon product ASIN B000HBM65O
Also, WD40 is not a penetrating oil (I used to think it was great also, but I've learned) PB Blaster is definitely a penetrating oil and works way better. O'Reilly carries that too.
Will add these two to my arsenal! Thank you :)

Plus with the Copper you just look like you have a 'tan' instead of this :

antiseize.jpg

My apologies, thank you for confirming. I've had check 100 times and do whatever you're doing once nailed into my head by my parents o_O :rofl:

My apologies, thank you for confirming. I've had check 100 times and do whatever you're doing once nailed into my head by my parents o_O :rofl:
No worries glad you got it worked out ;)

Plus with the Copper you just look like you have a 'tan' instead of this :

View attachment 2267733
The herpes of the mechanics world, one infinitesimal stray drop on a rag, and everybody in the shop gets some.
But I put that sh!t on everything. Grew up in Rochester NY, where they mine the road salt an hour south.
Two critical tools for working on cars and trucks in NY, a Blue tip wrench
1586569616392.png
and a bottle of nickle or copper anti-seez.

The herpes of the mechanics world, one infinitesimal stray drop on a rag, and everybody in the shop gets some.
But I put that sh!t on everything. Grew up in Rochester NY, where they mine the road salt an hour south.
Two critical tools for working on cars and trucks in NY, a Blue tip wrench View attachment 2267962 and a bottle of nickle or copper anti-seez.
haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom