HELP COOLANT LEAK. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I woke up this morning to a leak on the driveway after driving my 2000 LC last night (it is my daily) with AC on and rear AC. Ran fine, no leaks or issues at all until I see the leak today.
Below is a photo of the area and here is the video:

Can anyone help me identify what/where this is and any help if possible? The radiator is full but the reservoir is empty this morning. Didn't notice any coolant leaks at all until this morning after church.

IMG_0257.jpeg

On the 100 the T plastic hoses connector are known to fail with age
They are located on the rear side of engine bay

Start high and work your way down the front of the engine: Upper radiator hose, t-stat housing, front crossover pipe and gaskets, upper oil cooler hose, water pump, lower radiator hose, lower front oil cooler hose (lower rear hose looks ok in your pic), oil cooler, etc. Do the same on the back of engine: Heater Ts and hoses, rear crossover pipe and gaskets, rear heater hoses at firewall...

Start high and work your way down the front of the engine: Upper radiator hose, t-stat housing, front crossover pipe and gaskets, upper oil cooler hose, water pump, lower radiator hose, lower front oil cooler hose (lower rear hose looks ok in your pic), oil cooler, etc. Do the same on the back of engine: Heater Ts and hoses, rear crossover pipe and gaskets, rear heater hoses at firewall...

Thank you. I can't see any coolant dried or leaking from anything on top. No leaks at the from of engine. nothing from the upper or lower radiator hose. thermostat and radiator were replaced 3 months ago. how would I determine if it is the crossover pipe/gaskets, oil cooler hose, water pump etc.?

Heater hoses/Ts were replaced back in February/March but don't know how to identify leaks from the other items

Thank you. I can't see any coolant dried or leaking from anything on top. No leaks at the from of engine. nothing from the upper or lower radiator hose. thermostat and radiator were replaced 3 months ago. how would I determine if it is the crossover pipe/gaskets, oil cooler hose, water pump etc.?

Heater hoses/Ts were replaced back in February/March but don't know how to identify leaks from the other items

Pink or reddish crusty buildup, usually. Poke around with a small telescoping mirror to get a look at the crossover pipe and some of the other areas.

Pink or reddish crusty buildup, usually. Poke around with a small telescoping mirror to get a look at the crossover pipe and some of the other areas.

I don’t know what those are or where. That’s beyond my knowledge at this time.
Here are some other pics from the other side:
34D6D4ED-8A5B-4B3F-B0F3-F78A7AA8E488.jpeg

It is currently leaking small drops and I haven’t turned it on in over an hour. Would that help narrow it down that it’s leaking without running?

how would I determine if it is the crossover pipe/gaskets, oil cooler hose, water pump etc.?

Look through the FSM. There are a few versions available for download here on MUD.

Take a look around the heater T’s. I was losing a small bit of coolant a while ago after swapping them out and reusing the original hoses. The pressure clamps were not holding their pressure well and a minor leak had formed. It was not clear to see the origin even looking over the T’s.

on the first pic up top could coolant come from that tank...? it loos like it is seeping out of the seal there.

Last edited:
Im personally having a hard time getting my bearings based on the angle of the pictures and how close they are to where the fluid is building up.

Would you be able to take a few photos where you take a pic from a few feet back and then move in towards the leaking area?

Sounds like you've had a good bit of work done on the cooling system recently. I'd recommend that being the first place to start, checking over those connections.

But if you can upload a few more images of the issue might help narrow it down.

You can see the front diff in the video. The main picture is under the heater Ts area to my eyes.

Check that area on the rig. A hose or clamp may be the culprit. Did you use OEM Mr. T heater Ts, the Amazon metal ones, or? Original hose clamps, new OEM hose clamps, worm drive clamps?

Hard to tell the location, but on the back of the engine there are two annoying coolant bypass gaskets. One of mine failed. You can see it in this video.

So if I'm able to determine it is one or both of those gaskets, based on your video, I have to remove the engine to get to them? if so, that's well beyond my comfort level and ability so I'll just take it to my local Toyota mechanic if so.

You can see the front diff in the video. The main picture is under the heater Ts area to my eyes.

Check that area on the rig. A hose or clamp may be the culprit. Did you use OEM Mr. T heater Ts, the Amazon metal ones, or? Original hose clamps, new OEM hose clamps, worm drive clamps?

I checked the tees and there is no leak from any hose or T. I used OEM hoses and Ts and reused the clamps but nothing from the top of the engine area. All the coolant is coming from the bottom.

Im personally having a hard time getting my bearings based on the angle of the pictures and how close they are to where the fluid is building up.

Would you be able to take a few photos where you take a pic from a few feet back and then move in towards the leaking area?

Sounds like you've had a good bit of work done on the cooling system recently. I'd recommend that being the first place to start, checking over those connections.

But if you can upload a few more images of the issue might help narrow it down.

I'll take some photos/video tonight for better bearing of the location.

So if I'm able to determine it is one or both of those gaskets, based on your video, I have to remove the engine to get to them? if so, that's well beyond my comfort level and ability so I'll just take it to my local Toyota mechanic if so.

If it is those gaskets, you'd need to pull the intake manifold. It's a lot of labor that involves opening fuel lines and unless you're 6'6"+ it's hard to reach in the back area. If you're not a big "DIY'er" that's probably a good job to let a pro handle.

Got info back form the shop I took it to. Water pump leak so he's going to do that and timing belt today. I knew the belt was coming up in about 10-20k miles or so based on a guess of when the PO last did the timing belt. So, that'll be a nice little chunk of change but glad to have that done and be good to go on the next 100K miles or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom