Help, CDL stuck, cannot undo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed the CDL switch this week and had some problems with the actuator. I could get the motor to open or close when I grounded the relay so as to give power to the actuator. After driving to work today, I parked the car and tried the CDL switch for fun, hey it works!!!!!

On the way home, I tried it at a stoplight, and the CDL is stuck on. I can tell postively since the light is on and the front wheels scrub when turning.

Anything other than removing the actutor??????

You can try to jump the wires to the motor itself but you run the risk of frying the motor. try going to some gravel and running back and forth with mild turns.
that should clear it up.

I've never tried, but if the center diff lock bound due to windup, which is probably the case, then I would expect that shifting the transfer case into nuetral should unbind the drivetrain and allow the center diff to unlock.

If it is just a case of windup this is usually fixed by reversing a few metres.
I use mine to reverse my trailer up a steep driveway in low range and after the tight turn I usually have a case of windup. The reverse up the road afterwards allways fixes it. MAybe a sticky relay or a stuffed shift motor Test ing relay and motor should give you some idea.

As Rich has said wind up may be binding the CDL, it is good practice to lock and unlock on a loose surface to help prevent this but we all forget sometimes to do it quick enough, especially if one is jawing at the time, I have found that reversing will unlock a stubborn CDL almost immediately. The alternate thing to do is weave about to create a differential speed in the axles and drive shafts which may take some pressure off the dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom