Help Carburetor Tuning FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone in the Toms River NJ area can tune my carburetor 79 FJ40. $ Will Pay for your assistance.

What year, what carb, what's the issue? Lots of guys on here that could probably help with some basic information.
It's oem looking Asian carburetor. It runs and can drive it. Need to slightly choked to stay running smoothly and from the exhaust tail you tell it's just not correct . It would probably take someone with the knowledge 10mins. to adjust it. I just don't want to make it worse or bring it to the point of no return . Oh it's a 79. Thanks..

It's oem looking Asian carburetor. It runs and can drive it. Need to slightly choked to stay running smoothly and from the exhaust tail you tell it's just not correct . It would probably take someone with the knowledge 10mins. to adjust it. I just don't want to make it worse or bring it to the point of no return . Oh it's a 79. Thanks..

Probably not something that can be adjusted away; the only things easily adjustable on these carbs are the idle air mixture and the idle speed.

The first thing I would suspect given your symptoms is a vacuum leak; at the base of the carb, at the intake manifold, or at the brake booster. Spray some carb cleaner or wd-40 on these locations with the engine running; if the rpm varies when you do, you have found a vacuum leak.

Probably not something that can be adjusted away; the only things easily adjustable on these carbs are the idle air mixture and the idle speed.

The first thing I would suspect given your symptoms is a vacuum leak; at the base of the carb, at the intake manifold, or at the brake booster. Spray some carb cleaner or wd-40 on these locations with the engine running; if the rpm varies when you do, you have found a vacuum leak.
Thanks for the tip / advice

A little research and adjusted idle speed, seems alot better. Thanks for the tip on checking for vacuum leaks. Team Yota...

That is an awesome video! Great demonstration on tuning methodology.

A number of tech sites say that the air cleaner should be in place when doing this, but obviously that’s nearly impossible with the carb‘s adjustment screws located where they are. Which takes me back to my early design days and getting waylaid by AF mechanics (I was a general contractor for military apps) to change my design of XYZ because they couldn’t properly or even easily perform maintenance on some of the crap I designed. Carb designers, pay attention! 😂

Yes, This is an informative video & want to do this. Where/how do you hook up the digital tachometer?

Yes, I saw that video! I just didn’t know how he hooked up the multi meter to act as an rpm gauge?!?!

If you look at the comments below the video, Ryan answers that question. It's the RPM attachment for a Fluke 88v multimeter. My timing light has an rpm indicator on it, so it works just as well. It has a clamp that goes around the spark plug #1 wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom