Help, can you guys tell me what series this truck is? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

I'm brand new to 4x4's etc. Up until recently I was a legal secretary who drove a nice little girly Jetta. But I'm up north now and desperately need a solid, reliable 4x4 with cargo room for dogs. I live in Fort St. John - an extremely far north and cold town. I'm looking for some help identifying this truck's series - I'm not having much luck with google. I'm also interested in hearing anybodys advice on whether or not this is a good truck for a northern climate. It's got 72,000 km and is the turbo-diesel version, RHD - it's a 1991 - any info you can offer would be much appreciated!
Thanks all, Mary

That looks like an LJ78 Prado and it is NOT a good choice. If you want a reliable vehicle, this is NOT it.

The engines that these vehicles were supplied with are a total disaster. They suffer from numerous serious problems that are all hard to diagnose and expensive to fix.

DO NOT buy any Toyota that has the 2LTE engine.

If you want to own a Land Cruiser, you can get a 60 series, 70 series, or 80 series for only a bit more money and it will be 100X better in every way imaginable.

Outback Imports (a Yukon company) has some very, very good deals on right now. Check out their website for info.

~John

This truck would only cost me $4000 - is it a complete waste of money? I'm trying to find something that is 4x4 with low kms and this seemed to fit the bill - the next truck (Land Cruiser) in price is $16,900 - and that gets wayyyy outta my price range. Does anyone think I'll get any use of out of this truck or is it completely value-less - I doubt I would ever use it hard-core off roading. I just need something to handle the giant pot holes and icy conditions. thanks - I appreciate the advice

Wow!~ That was the link I needed to hit, thanks - I'll post back when I get something...better than the 2LTE - cheers & thanks again

Hi John,

Thanks for the links, did you have to pay quite alot for shipping? I'm very very far from Vancouver!
Cheers, Mary

If you are looking for some advice in FSJ, click on the link in my sig. line for the Peace Canyon Toyota Swamp Donkeys. Charla (Ratpuke) could likely give you some advice, just tell her that her a$$hole cousin pointed you to her. :grinpimp:

If you are interested in a cruiser, and want the space for cargo and dogs, a 60 series (utilitarian but rugged) or 80 series (more refined) wagon would serve you well.

Older Tahoe's , Blazers, Yukon's might be worth looking at. Check out what the "locals" drive... .

Avoid these units.

Very poor build quality all round. Lots of engine/cooling system problems due to GM's use of DexCool.

~John

If were me and I were in the extreme cold...I would not be running a diesel. ...
With a diesel and extreme weather you are going to have to deal with a block heater / coolant heater + fuel addiditives to keep the fuel from turning into sludge.......
I DO live in the extreme cold, have for nearly 30 years. Plug-in preheating engine heaters are necessary for all vehicles petrol or diesel. So are battery blankets, synthetic lubricants, and transmission oil heaters. Plug-ins are available in most workplace parking lots. The refineries and bulk fuel dealers seasonally adjust the diesel fuel so gelling is never a problem. I do use a lubricity additive to improve the quality of the extreme cold ULSD fuel.
I've never experienced any problems operating my Toyota diesel truck in some of the coldest temperatures found in N.America.

Tahoes , Blazers, Yukons, Broncos, Excursions, and newer Dodges are not good choices for cold weather operations.

If one needs a 3/4 ton truck then the older Fords and Dodge Cummins are the most reliable.

disregard my comments.... .. other than check out what the locals use..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom