Help!!! CA Exhaust manifold problem!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let us know how it goes. I had my 3fe swap approved by the local BAR and it was a breeze. They were very helpful.

Also don't worry about having to go to the test only stations. Old cars are often assigned to them and they are there to keep you from getting ripped off by shops that see dollar signs when you drive up. Of course it also makes it harder to find a shop that will cheat the system for you.

Frank
Frank,
Was it an engine swap you dealt with, or just exhaust?
Your's is the first post that hasn't made me wet myself in a while.:crybaby:
But the others definitely have me thinking...

I did an entire engine swap. The guy at BAR was very straightforward, he would smog my truck as the year engine that I put in it, if it passes great, if not he would help me figure out why. I passed but not with flying colors. We talked shop, he gave me some pointers if I wanted to troubleshoot, and slapped a BAR sticker on the inner fender. It was $7, cheapest smog test ever.

All my older Toyota's have had to go to the test only stations and in the end a smog test is a smog test. Test only guys just don't stand to make money off of you from repairs so you have that going for you.

Frank

I found a pair for the 2fe project for something like $60 @ the u-pullit place, from an 80.

t

why not swap over to stock manifold and call it a day or one from the 80 as noted? I doubt the header makes a lot of difference.

I'm supposed to hear from the BAR guy (smog ref) later today, and depending on how that goes I may very well be switching out to stock. I much rather just leave the headers in... My list is already long enough, I hate to add to it. :bang:

Update--

So I waited about 2 weeks to hear from the parts locator service, and heard nothing. 1-2 business days is REALLY long in CA. I then decided to just schedule the appt with the smog referee (hoping for a parts exemption). I went to the ref today, told him what was going on, and he said that he couldn't give an exemption. The parts locator service has to first verify that the required parts couldn't be found, and then I would have to go back to the ref for the smog cert. :bang:
But, he said the odds of that happening are very rare. They will search the entire country, and require you to buy the parts they find and ship them at your expense. The ref was actually pretty cool about it, and quite helpful. Unfortunately, he said, it comes down to replacing the headers with the OEM manifolds. He also suggested a few recyclers in town who might have them.
On the way home I found a set with everything included in front of the cats at the recyclers, so at least I'm not paying for shipping.
In the not too distant future I'll have a set of MAF headers for sale.
Gotta love California! :clap: At least the weather's nice.

I'm sure glad I read this thread and logged on. I have a California FJ-62 with a cracked header (runs loud, low on power, sounds like a steam powered sewing machine built for Godzilla). I was halfway through with buying a Manafre header when I logged on and saw this thread. I guess I'm going to stay stock, so that the bureaucrats can save me from myself.

So everybody tells you to stay away from the BAR refs and you go anyway hoping for an outcome that everybody who's been through it told you wouldn't happen. That's the spirit!

Gotta love Cruiser-heads! :confused:

At least you found the components you'll need. Use a Fel-Pro graflex gasket when you install.

You should ask the BAR ref if he will still smog it, it's only like $9 at the ref.

Your experience was a lot like mine as far as the ref in that he was very laid back and eager to help. He has to obey rules but I did not get the impression at all that he was out to get me or anything like that.

Frank

Frank, did the ref say anything about the manual trans? The smog tech I talked to said that it might be an issue since the 62 originally had the auto.

pre OBD- the trans has nothing to do with the emissions or fuel metering.
3FE manifolds are just cast iron headers...with better flanges

Lambcrusher is right. The rules for a transmission change do require the trans to come with the same type of engine it came with. Basically you can do do an engine change keeping the stock trans even if it did not ever mate to that engine but need the trans and engine to match if you just change the trans. All that said if you swap an engine and get the ref to sign off you can probably swap the trans later. 3F engines did cone with H55f though so you should be ok with a combo like that.

Last edited:
I installed a FJ-62 3FE with H55 into an 87' FJ-60 and had the conversion approved by the referee here in Northern California. I brought everything from the FJ-62, it looked stock. The first time I went they dinged me for the H55 saying that the tranny had to come with the engine. They also dinged me because I left the shifting solenoid on without connecting it to the transfer case vacuum diaphragm. They also dinged me for my timing. I still passed the actual smog test (2-speed idle) but failed visual. I went home and called them and explained that I am upgrading from carberation to fuel injection using all Toyota parts that were offered in the same vehicle just one year later. And that based on my smog test results I was running cleaner than before, which I was. They told me that they would accept the conversion and that I had to come back to re-test. I came back to re-test after correcting the issues (except for the H55) and I passed everything except for the tranny. This referee was an old Toyota tech so he looked in his book and saw that the H55 was offered on a FJ-62. I knew that it was specific to the Canadian FJ-62 but I kept my mouth shut. I passed and got my sticker which told the smog tech to smog my 87' FJ-60 as if it were an 88' FJ-62.

Not sure why the OP did exactly what people here who have been though this told him not to do. The second I read the first post I knew you were going back to stock exhaust manifolds if you wanted to pass smog. Glad you got it taken care of, you will not miss those POS headers.

I replaced the headers with OEM manifolds, and had the cats replaced as well since they were rusty, and my original test was borderline. I then found a different smog shop, kept my mouth shut, and let him do his thing. Of course he noticed the new cats and asked if I'd failed before, so I told him most (too much) of my story. I then saw him looking at everything way too carefully, and it seemed like the test took twice as long as the car ahead of me. I was starting to get nervous, and he finally came back in and told me I passed. I hid my excitement until I drove away. Barely.
I haven't noticed any change in performance with the OEM manifolds. It even sounds the same!

@Aseif007 I had no idea a tranny change would be a problem with smog? The stupidity of CA law will never cease to amaze me!!! Glad it worked out for you. The smog ref I went to was at American River college, was that the same one you saw?

note to self, leave 4 speed knob on after 5 speed swap;)

told ya those manifolds were just a cast factory header...even work on 2Fs with a bit of work

wow. california. not for me.

As one can see, a 62 can most definitely get a manual in CA because the 3FE was available with the manual (just not here). The smog tech will not care if you have 4 or 5 speeds so in reality you can swap an H55 into 60 no sweat. You will probably want the correct shift knob so they can back it out of the garage.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom