help buying? cruiser

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by jwildzza, Nov 2, 2005.

1. jwildzza

jwildzza

Hey, I wondered if anyone knows about the 75 40 on e-bay. It is a rustic green stock lookingsuspension, and rebuilt 2f. It is in California, I am in Pa. I would appreciate any advice. thanks

2. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    You could start by posting a link. Unless you find a steal of a deal, I would never buy a vehicle for big money that you didn't see in person or drive. Lots of shady folks out there. You searched locally for one? Good luck on your quest. Welcome to MUD! :beer:

3. jwildzza

jwildzza

Thanks I can't even look at a 40 in my town. I saw one (not for sale) in the wal-mart parking lot and tried to find the owner for some info, but no luck! This forum saved me from a mushro-mobile and I am Thankful. I want to drive before I buy, but I've been looking for a while, and gettin antsy. If anyone knows of a 78 + that is pretty stock (v8 is OK) pm me! Thanks john

4. jwildzza

jwildzza

5. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Looks like a nice rig, a little spendy though.

6. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

hey where are you in PA????????///

7. MDH33

MDH33

If you have 14 grand burning a hole in your pocket, Buy it! It's "worth" whatever you're willing to pay. It looks nice, its a great year and you're not going to find rust free cruisers in PA. Fly out there and drive it home.

8. lunap

lunap

Hey

Hey, sent you a message about a PA FJ-40.

9. DaveWest5150

DaveWest5150

You might ask the owner where he got the spare tire holder... dont think thats from a 75,
    Just wonderin what else has been replaced.

10. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:

Yes, it seems spendy, but by the time you buy a lesser rig, paint it, new tires and go through the brakes, TC, etc. You'll be close to the current bid. I would no have any hesitation paying 11-12K for it if it is all true.
    I say this as a guy who bought one for $1800 and I'm bumping 14K, but with a lot of upgrades.
    Guessing you can find a '76> with discs for about the same money. Keep looking unless you like adjusting brakes.

JMO

Ed

11. missipboy

missipboy

i agree, it's usually cheaper to buy a truck that's ready to go than fixing one up. some people like to do the fixin up part, though. it's totally up to you. i like to straddle the fence myself. good luck and welcome.

12. andrew7elk

andrew7elk

Looks like a nice rig, little expensive tho. If your looking at keeping the truck stock and using it as daily driver and dont mind spending the money, than i would say it would probably be a not bad deal. But in the future if your planning on making it into a trail ready rig, than i would probably wait a little longer to find a 40 with some stuff already done to it. You should be able to find sumin lifted, bigger tires, possibly 350, for around the same price. (if you dont mind sacrificing a little bit ie. paint job/interior) ;)

13. jwildzza

jwildzza

Thanks for all the info. Hey Bandy, I'm near Erie. Lunap is sending pics of his 80 which is even better. I'm looking to leave one stock for a while, then 2.5" lift and 33's, maybe more in a couple years $$

14. Doug_S

Doug_S

I agree: it's worth whatever you're wlling to pay. Remember, get a good one from the start so it won't be nickle and diming you to death later. You'll have a much better experience in the long run.

15. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

This is where i'm at too. I think it's expensive, but then again mine which I bought for $5k (in PA for a matter of fact) I have easily sunk another 6-7k into. I just like doing the work myself so I know exactly whats been done and how it's done.

16. Wayneraintree

Wayneraintree

are you set on a 40? there are a couple of good deal FJ-60's in PA....
    http://www.sor.com/sor/class3.tam?rlk=9945060

scroll down, oh, there is a 74' 40 there too..... worry lots about tub/cowl/windshield frame rust/condition/frame as well... discs can be added along with other updates... hope this helps...

17. jwildzza

jwildzza

Yea, I always wanted a 40. I had an87 4runner (stock) that was awesome off road, and a 2000 cruiser (FAT LUXURY ) but want a 40 now. I think a 75 is as old as I want, but I'm looking at all 40's...I appreciate all the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.