Help! Busted Front End Don't Know What It Is (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wrench

One Bashed Up 80
Threads
Hi I was wheeling over the weekend and I busted something in my front end. I was throttling up a snow covered hill when I hit a bump and jumped the front end up and when it came own something broke. I thought I broke a birfield but today I pulled both sides out and they both look fine. No metal bits or anything in the grease. How notacible is a broken birfield? I'm at a loss right now don't know where to look next. Someone on the trail said I broke my ring and pinion. At the time I don't think so. Wouldn't the birf go first? Should I check the ring and pinion? Any ideas?

Most of the broken birfs I have seen were quite obvious. Also if the front shafts are out you're only like 12 bolts away from pulling the diff anyway. might be worth a look.

Drain the front diff and see what comes out. A busted ring gear should leave some big chunks on the magnetic drain plug. A broken birf is very noticeable... lots of clanking and loud metallic noises, plus driving it is dangerous because the steering could get jammed and you are very likely to do irreparable damage to the axle housing.

When you say you pulled both sides, you don't say how far you pulled them. Did you remove the hub so you can see inside the knuckle?

Does it still drive? Do you have to lock the center diff to get it moving? What noises does it make?

-B-

Last edited:
You really need to describe what symptoms your currently experiencing.

Did you drive it back home?
Does it make noise going straight ahead or only on turns, right or left?
Does it rattle or grind?

Have you checked the shocks and springs? Driveshafts and U joints?

I had it flatbedded home. It still drives but makes a loud clunk and shakes the truck violently every so often. This is like driving under 5 mph. And on a steep hill it makes the sound of someone taking a metal hammer and hitting a piece of 1/4 inch steel at a rapid pace.
It will drive either way CDL engaged or not.
I pulled both birfs out and physically looked at them and they looked fine every ball was in it's place. rotated fine.

I pulled both birfs out and physically looked at them and they looked fine every ball was in it's place. rotated fine.

Then it is not a broken birfield.

It has to be either the ring gear or maybe a drive flange or a selectable hub if you have a PT conversion. Drain the front diff.
-B-

R&P sounds like. I have broken them on these trucks before...only twice :p

Most of the broken birfs I have seen were quite obvious. Also if the front shafts are out you're only like 12 bolts away from pulling the diff anyway. might be worth a look.

2nd that, its only another 15 min of work and will narrow down your search

oooh, if you have a crawl box it could be bad news indeed...but you should be able to tell if it is coming from the R&P pretty quickly with a second set of ears near the front end while rolling forward.

Bingo!
DSCF0905.JPG

DSCF0907.JPG

DSCF0908.JPG

OUCH!

4.88 or 5.29? Not that it probably mattered since the teeth shattered in that circumstance.

^ 4.56

Yup, that is how they break. Front end in the air under power, then suddenly comes down and grabs traction. BTDT a couple of times.
Christo why didn't the birfields break first before the ring and pinion? I always thought the birfs were the weak link in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom