Help! Broken rear upper control arm 1000 miles from home (SLC)... 100 miles north of Spokane (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Please help! I have a broken rear upper control arm. No parts in sight for the near term. What is the danger of driving the rig like this? Anyone know someone close to Spokane that could help me out?

I wouldn't drive it like that, but I bet you could find someone in town that could weld it up to get you home. man, how does that even happen?

It's a 4 link with panhard so you are probably ok to limp it if you have to.

It's the same as a three link rear, no real issue here as long as your other links are good. Make your way down to Oregon I can meet you off the I5 and bring you one of my spares.

Scratch that, you're close to 600mi away! Didn't realize, still welcome to come pick that up if you want to make that kinda drive.

Haven't seen one broken, but know of a couple that have been driven long term with a bolt missing.
As long as you don't wheel/stress it too hard, break the other one, should be fine.

I may have one in the garage in Spokane, checking now.

I'll shoot you a PM with my info.

-Mike

Check the others, you're fine to drive on it as long as the other one doesn't kaboom.

I have limped home 400+ miles without an upper....just keep the speed low around 50-55mph

I have also driven 350 miles without a panhard bolt...managed to get home just fine!!

If you have jumper cables and some welding equipment, just weld it up the best you can and you should be able to get home just fine!

If you are passing thru LA I can give you a spare and another one for the road!

Just unbolt and bolt in the new one:meh:

Since I am on the road, I have very limited access to real shop equipment. Do you need to put anything on jacks or jack stands?

No other tools than a 22mm and a 24mm maybe a ratchet strap

No other tools than a 22mm and a 24mm maybe a ratchet strap
Using the strap to pull the arm into position? Or pull the axle?

Since I am on the road, I have very limited access to real shop equipment. Do you need to put anything on jacks or jack stands?

Nothing to jack or put on stands. Possible need your jack for hole alignment but should be close enough without it.

It depends on spring/lift/luck, sometimes the axle end bolt will run into the spring, so may need some jacking to sneak it past. On suspension fasteners, turn the one with the washer, the flanges have locking protrusions, on these, always turn the nut to loosen.

See them often like this when they come in for service or suspension install, as long is the other one is still good, just drive it.

Often we see they can touch the top of the chassis mount bracket which can cause this.

Ends up both are bad. Crap. I bet I was already driving on one... The other just broke and now I noticed it...well back to having just one... Can't find anything for over night here in bufu Washington.... Big shoutout to yohavos for getting me one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom