Help! Broken plug boot!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The PO installed cheap Belden plug wires. I'm at 116k and decided to do the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. The plugs, cap, and rotor appear to be original, but someone threw these on at some point. The long black plastic tubes that stick down into the head were all dried out and crumbling. I was able to get four of them out almost completely intact with the rubber boots, then picked out the crumbled pieces. Number one, unfortunately, lost the rubber tip. It took me a very long time to hook it and peel it free from the plug with a coat hanger.

My major problem is that number six snapped right in the middle along with the wire. There is just enough of it sticking out that I can barely touch the broken end with the tip of my longest finger. I can't find a needle nose long enough to fit down in there, and I can't get a coat hanger to pass the platic tube to hook the rubber boot from underneath. I also tried to drive a lag screw directly into the center to hook and pull it out, but the plastic crumbles and I just can't get a grip.

Any advice on this one I'd really appreciate. I thought this would be quick and painless. I've never had a problem like this, and I've done many plug changes. As luck would have it, my wife is out of town. I'm stranded right now, unless I drive on five cylinders... :confused: Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please beware of these wires!!

Sounds like you have a little situation!
All that I can think of @ the moment would be to try a small wire pulling sock.
(kinda like the "chinese finger cuffs" they sell in China town) slip it over the remaining tube and hope it grabs. or maybe some strong nylon twine that you could make a snare to slip down and pull it out.
Good luck

Could they be melted with heat (solider iron) or flame (torch), or at least softened? And then pulled out deformed or scraped out if they melted? Just some ideas as long as you're safe.

how about an epoxy that could bond with the remanants of the boot? i'm no expert on adhesives, but i'd bet there's something out there that wouldn't bond to the head, but would adhere to the rubber.

as i type it sounds crazy, but, as they say, this is one fine mess.

best of luck to you.

whups - see my post on the duplicate thread..

DougM

On a lesser scale, the same thing just happened to my Altima. Damn wire tore halfway down the hole! I might be able to grab if with pliers though; haven't had a chance to try.

I just shoved the torn wire back in the hole... and it runs fine. Or, as well as it did before.

Pulled my plugs Friday night for the whole "blown-headgasket-cylinder-inspection" extravaganza. Boy was it nice popping those things off with all that dielectric grease coating them...

DougM

I haven't had good luck with dielectric grease. Anyone else have it turn into weird powdery stuff that's stickier than nothing at all? Seems like it can't take the heat inside the head. Works great on the coil and distributor. Maybe that was just on my last truck, a Grand Cherokee with a 5.9L. It ran super hot in city traffic, but man was it fast.

Costco is selling a set of super long needle nose pliers, something like 5 for $20, like a foot long or so. Always wanted to get one but no real reason. Now you have a good excuse....

e9999 said:
Costco is selling a set of super long needle nose pliers, something like 5 for $20, like a foot long or so. Always wanted to get one but no real reason. Now you have a good excuse....

I got one pretty cheap at Northern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom