Help! BOUGHT BJ42 IMPORTING FROM NZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

This will be my first BJ42. I found a "rust free" 1982 bj42 from new zealand and out of the blue snatch it up within 10 minutes of thinking.

now the consequence to my action is getting the vehicle into the US. The seller has shipped my vehicle and it should be arriving in long beach california shortly.

Can anyone that have done this tell me what i should do..

did alot of reseach and It seems that i dont NEED an RI. i should just go to the port and pick it up with the proper paper work because the vehicle is over 25 years. two exempt forms from NHST and EPA.

is it really that simple?

please advise thanks everyone.

I did the exact same thing in Long Beach; no, you don't need an RI. However... you can't just go to the port and pick it up; you need someone (a freight forwarder) to pickup the container, unload the trucks, and dispose of the container for you. I don't think the port would let you unload your container on the premises and just drive away. Doubly so if the seller has shipped multiple trucks in one container.

If you're shipping on a RoRo it is probably a different situation, but you'll have to speak to the port.

Anyway, assuming its in a container, the freight forwarder should be able to complete the "entry" (that is, present the EPA and DOT forms) for you for $150 or so. Here is my price list for the actions on US soil:

220.00 terminal fees to port
65.00 import handling
80.00 drayage
175.00 offloading of your car
25.00 courier
36.67 pier cost
90.63 duty & tax
75.00 bond
165.00 clearance
20.00 DOT customs
TOTAL: $952.30
Amazing, isn't it? :rolleyes: I used MMI Logistics.

Did you buy it from chrisman/Kolly Classic Cars?

Thanks for all your info amaurer. So did you successfully got your 1982 bj42 registered? how was the process. and which DMV did you go to?

mind posting any pic of you BJ : )

this forum is wonderful there are so many helpful and kind people on here.

..i got it from an individual in NZ. off ebay.. do you by any chance still have the contacts to who you worked with at MMI? can you PM me the info..

thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for all your info amaurer. So did you successfully got your 1982 bj42 registered? how was the process. and which DMV did you go to?

mind posting any pic of you BJ : )

this forum is wonderful there are so many helpful and kind people on here.

..i got it from an individual in NZ. off ebay.. do you by any chance still have the contacts to who you worked with at MMI? can you PM me the info..

thanks

Nope, couldn't register it in Cali - dunno if the DMVs pencils were particularly sharp that day, or if everyone but me knew to make up some phony emissions labels, but I got blackballed, can't register.

Your shipping company may have already set you up with a freight forwarder - mine did. I used Jenners Worldwide and MMI Logistics.

You should head over to the Diesel Tech board on this forum, LOTS more experience there with this sort of thing.

Last edited:
BJ42 registration in chicago

let say if i "Sold" my freshly imported NZ BJ42 to my aunt in Chicago, do i have to have the car physically there to get it titled
or is the paper work sufficient?

I just brought in an FJ45 from OZ, and here is a list of fees dorm the Customs Clearance Broker. This does not include the $5,500 to ship and the brokerage fees on the OZ side.

Customs clearance:* $150.00 per shipment

Out port handling:* $50.00 min. (if applicable) per shipment

Customs duty:* 2.5% of the value (applies to the auto only)

Customs processing fee:* 0.21% (.0021) of the value.* Minimum charge $25.00, maximum charge $485.00

Harbor maintenance fee:* .125% (.00125) of the value.

Customs entry bond:* $650.00 for a yearly bond or $4.50 per $1,000 of the value, duties & fees for a one time bond.* Minimum charge $55.00

Importer Security Filing:* $45.00

Importer Security Filing bond:* $85.00

Exam coordination:* $50.00 Min. (if applicable)

U.S. Terminal handling:*(expecting about $400).

I hope this helps.

-Ben

are you in california? and who did you use?

I actualy got the good news that it cleared Customs a few hours ago and is only pending a DHS inspection and X-Ray after Manding in Long Brach on Friday.

I used an OZ Freight Forwarder my boss uses and they picked the Customs Clearance Agent.

Globe Express Services ® (Overseas Group)
970 W. 190th Street
Suite 310
Torrance, CA 90502
Phone: 310.404.0014
Fax: 310.404.0018
Globe Express Services, Ltd. ®

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom