Help! BJ74 won't start/run after sitting over winter... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help with with my 87 BJ74. It was my wife's daily driver till last fall when I bought her a newer truck and parked the cruiser in the garage for the winter. Forward to about a month ago when my wife decided to take it for a spin and it died on her. I got it towed back home and found it has an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes it will start right away but then stall out. Other times it won't start at all. At this point i unscrew the manual priming pump and bleed nipple on the fuel filter and pump it till I get fuel squirting out of the nipple. Tighten both then proceed to crack open each injector, crank the engine till a bit of fuel comes out. Tighten the injectors and then it will fire up only to stall right away or at some point there after.

I have already taken the primer pump off and cleaned the screen on it, also I have completely cleaned and inspected the fuel system all the way back to the fuel tank. Included in this process was dropping the fuel tank to inspect and clean both the tank and the filter basket at the pick up.

I'm starting to think my lift pump is on its way out or air is somehow getting into the fuel line before or at the lift pump.

Hope someone can lead me in the right direction...

I would also like to mention that when I go to use the manual priming pump it has the pumping action but tends to leak quite a bit fuel in the process.

Sucking air!
You really can't find this by looking for leaks it's a tedious task.
I'd bypass the works with a clear hose looking for bubbles!
Btw ran my 3b out of fuel Saturday because of a faulty gauge sender.
It stalled a couple times but started without priming.
Primers can leak that's why we screw them back in.
I carry a 12v inline pump with clear hose just for type of issue.

Get fuel as close to the IP as possible ensure she runs then work your way back towards the tank, pay attention to filter and sediment bowl.

I would also like to mention that when I go to use the manual priming pump it has the pumping action but tends to leak quite a bit fuel in the process.

There is your problem. They leak air. I doubt its your feed pump, it wouldnt run properly. The priming pump can be replaced with a bosch type used on mercedes.

There is your problem. They leak air. I doubt its your feed pump, it wouldnt run properly. The priming pump can be replaced with a bosch type used on mercedes.
It leaked just as bad 10 years ago when I run out of fuel.

I will replace it just to eliminate it as one of the possible causes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom