Help! Anybody know what this is called? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently I started having issues with not being able to shift out of park, I had to use the bypass button every now and then. Now it’s to the point where every single time I have to resort to using the bypass button. I also noticed that right around the same time, every time I pressed on the brake while driving I would hear a click almost like a relay when they click under my dash near brake peddle. Looking under the dash it looks like there’s a small switch that is depressed every time you press the break peddle and that’s what is clicking. Could this be the culprit to my not shifting out of park problem? Is that part of the Neutral safety switch? Thanks in advance.

718E91CF-C024-4AFB-AFBF-CBFBDF220934.jpeg

It's just an electrical switch - no cable involved (unless you're referring to the electrical harness and connector, which you should not have to replace). It is the brake switch.

The switch could just need an adjustment too... I'd reference your FSM.

It's just an electrical switch - no cable involved (unless you're referring to the electrical harness and connector, which you should not have to replace). It is the brake switch.

The switch could just need an adjustment too... I'd reference your FSM.
Thanks for the info. Do you guys know where I can download a FSM?

Easy stuff first: Make sure your brake lamp fuse is good. That (intact) brake light circuit is integral to the Park release solenoid activation when you step on the brake.

To be clear, you're supposed to hear a "click" when stepping on the brake pedal when in PARK. That is the sound of the solenoid activating in the center console to release the shifter mechanism.
Correct, I’m not not hearing the “click” when in park. I’m actually not hearing anything when I’m park, only while I’m driving and I press the brake peddle do I hear a click coming from under dash.

Just an update. I haven’t had a bunch of time to dig into issue I did check the brake lamp fuse..that was good. No issue with brake lights both are functioning correctly. Since I’ve only had it for a few weeks I wanted to do a complete brake job. I was going to do the brakes my self but decided to took it to a friend of the families who specializes in brakes and alignment figured I have him go over the brake system and insure it was good to go. Especially since he was only charging me $500 for all four wheels plus resurfacing rotors. I figured I would dig into the “not shifting out of park” issue once I got the truck back. Glad I took it for 2 reasons 1 apparently I was missing hardware on some of the calipers and second for some reason the not shifting issue went away. I’ve driven it handful of times and the issues is gone shift perfectly fine out of park. He didn’t mention anything about fixing anything other than the brakes. Well what ever happened I’m glad it’s fixed at least for now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom