Help/advice requested: Did dealer overfill my oil? Pics included (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all...just purchase a 2015 LC, could not be happier!!!

Had oil change at the dealer, came home and checked the oil level (at 52 years old, I guess I have a few quirky habits)...attached are 2 pictures...the first picture, with the Pen pointing to the level (used the pen as pointer as the hot 0W20 oil is hard to pick up with iPhone camera)...this was take a few minutes after hot engine shut off. Reads about 1/2 inch above 'full' mark on dipstick.

The second pic is from the morning, cold car, sat overnight...no pen as an indicator as the oil is cold and more viscous, much easier to see level in the pic...this shows the level MUCH MUCH higher than the full mark on the dipstick.

Called dealer yesterday, very nice...Sr Tech felt the car has about 3/4 quart too much oil..this was based on the first picture, hot engine...I have not showed them this mornings pic yet...

They offered to have me come back to dealer (30 min drive, aargh) and said it will take about 40 min to get LC lifted, drained etc...

So, about 2 hours...TOTALLY worth it is this oil level poses a problem to my engine...my detail oriented self wants the oil level within spec, so I want this done...but if a bit of an overfill is not a problem, then perhaps I wait until I am running errands nearer to the dealer and stop in to get the oil partially drained...

Any thoughts are GREATLY apprecited as I do not plan to start/drive my LC until I get some peace of mind...

Sure wish the dealer would have offered to compensate me for the overfill...unless, as they say, this is not a bid deal...

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

One more piece of info...caution, I am about as technical as a wooden dowel...so, this may not matter...but, I my limited knowledge, as rising engine oil level can be attributed to coolant leaking into oil?? Well, to head that off, when I purchase the car, I checked the oil level, and a few days later, I checked the oil level and both times, pegged at the top fill mark, both checks hot engine, a few min after shut down...

This last oil change was done on Tuesday...these pics were taken yesterday, with perhaps ~30 total miles driven in the previous 24 hours...

Had oil change at the dealer, came home and checked the oil level (at 52 years old, I guess I have a few quirky habits)...attached are 2 pictures...the first picture, with the Pen pointing to the level (used the pen as pointer as the hot 0W20 oil is hard to pick up with iPhone camera)...this was take a few minutes after hot engine shut off. Reads about 1/2 inch above 'full' mark on dipstick.

The second pic is from the morning, cold car, sat overnight...no pen as an indicator as the oil is cold and more viscous, much easier to see level in the pic...this shows the level MUCH MUCH higher than the full mark on the dipstick.

Called dealer yesterday, very nice...Sr Tech felt the car has about 3/4 quart too much oil..this was based on the first picture, hot engine...I have not showed them this mornings pic yet...

They offered to have me come back to dealer (30 min drive, aargh) and said it will take about 40 min to get LC lifted, drained etc...

So, about 2 hours...TOTALLY worth it is this oil level poses a problem to my engine...my detail oriented self wants the oil level within spec, so I want this done...but if a bit of an overfill is not a problem, then perhaps I wait until I am running errands nearer to the dealer and stop in to get the oil partially drained...

Any thoughts are GREATLY apprecited as I do not plan to start/drive my LC until I get some peace of mind...

Sure wish the dealer would have offered to compensate me for the overfill...unless, as they say, this is not a bid deal...

View attachment 2679268

View attachment 2679269

I think your engine has the wrong dipstick!

I have a 2013 LC purchased new in 2012 and should have the same dipstick as your 2015, but it doesn't. My dipstick - and every other LC200 dipstick I've seen - is perfectly straight with no "kinks" as shown at the end of yours and another one above the full mark.

What does the handle of your dipstick look like?

In any event, I wouldn't panic, or do anything about your oil fill level, until you can verify that you are using the correct dipstick.

Is there anyone else on the forum with a 2015LC that has a dipstick that looks like the OP's?

HTH

View attachment 2679268

View attachment 2679269

For reference, here is what my 2013 LC200 dipstick looks like:

Bottom end:

LC200Dipstick1.JPG

Top end:

LC200Dipstick2.JPG

If your dipstick does not look like this, or is not approximately 29.5 inches long from the top of the handle to the end of the stick, then you most probably have the wrong dipstick and should not trust the readings.

HTH

My '13 200 dipstick has kinks and bends like the OP; the dipstick for my 2000 UZJ100 is straight.

*I* would drain it start over - based on what I remember reading about overfill in the 100 forum years ago - it may not do damage, but depending on the amount of overfill - is beyond design spec and could cause expensive problems.

Rather than spend an hour driving, I would drain a quart or two into a clean container and then top it off as needed. Might be a little messy as you reinstall the drain plug, but it is definitely doable.

One more piece of info...caution, I am about as technical as a wooden dowel...so, this may not matter...but, I my limited knowledge, as rising engine oil level can be attributed to coolant leaking into oil?? Well, to head that off, when I purchase the car, I checked the oil level, and a few days later, I checked the oil level and both times, pegged at the top fill mark, both checks hot engine, a few min after shut down...

This last oil change was done on Tuesday...these pics were taken yesterday, with perhaps ~30 total miles driven in the previous 24 hours...
I wouldn’t think twice about coolant leaking into your oil. If you have intermix that would raise the oil level, you’d see a chocolate milkshake looking mess, instead of clear clean oil on your dipstick.

Hello all and thank you so much for your replies!!
It’s encouraging to know that my dipstick matches that have another similar era lc200

I guess it’s part of my personality, but I jumped in the car and drove to the dealer… They’re in the process of taking care of it in, they checked the level and definitely felt it needed to be drained… Very accommodating and very helpful… And minor inconvenience, but if I attempted to do this in my garage I’d probably be cleaning up an oil spill for the next few hours :)

Thanks again for all the help really appreciate the feedback…

Also, and I don’t mean to suggest anything by this, but you said you aren’t very technical: did you wipe off the dipstick, then reinsert it to check the oil level?

Also, and I don’t mean to suggest anything by this, but you said you aren’t very technical: did you wipe off the dipstick, then reinsert it to check the oil level?
Charles’s…Ha ha, All suggestions and assumptions about my technical abilities are welcome :)

Yes… Definitely wiped off the dipstick and checked it a few times… also, when I got to the dealership we let the car sit for five minutes and they checked it as well…Definitely confirmed it was overfilled and they suggested a partial drain

Soon, all will be right in the world!

The dealership is outstanding, they have offered to waive the cost of the initial oil change… they continue to earn my business...

Mistakes happen..
You’re far too kind. “Mistakes” when it comes to oil changes on any vehicle, especially when serviced at a dealer, are absolutely unacceptable.

Checked the dipstick in my '15 tonight, it looks exactly like the one that @acastell posted photos of, with the little kink and the bent tip.

@gaijin maybe YOU have the wrong dipstick! :p

(kidding)

Checked the dipstick in my '15 tonight, it looks exactly like the one that @acastell posted photos of, with the little kink and the bent tip.

@gaijin maybe YOU have the wrong dipstick! :p

(kidding)

Good to know, but now I'm wondering why there are different dipsticks...

Anyone else out there with a straight (no kinks) dipstick on their 2013 or earlier LC200? Inquiring minds need to know.

Good to know, but now I'm wondering why there are different dipsticks...

Anyone else out there with a straight (no kinks) dipstick on their 2013 or earlier LC200? Inquiring minds need to know.
2008-2011 have a different dipstick part number than 2013-current. Your ‘13 made in ‘12 must have the ‘08-‘11 dipstick. I bet ‘13 made in ‘13 started the new one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom