Help/Advice Needed - Front Differential (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d almost put money on drive flange. Unless the front end was run dry which isn’t very likely. They typically seep oil for years as they don’t develop fast leaks.

It really would have to be a dry-diff, or a shock load before getting onto the highway for it to go.

If CV's had been pulled or the oil seal at the diff was compromised when doing the wheel bearings its completely feasible that the diff lost oil.

I would expect that low diff to sound like a supercharger. I put an conventional gear oil in my front diff this fall. The first cold day we had, the diff had a light gear-lash whine all the way down my street. Dumped it and put in synthetic and it went back to being quiet again.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat, with an ‘04, but was able to pull the front diff, CVs, and such in a couple hours by myself. I am also having it rebuilt with Nitro gears and ARB locker. Being charged $250 labor for full rebuild, but with gears, seal/bearing kit and locker are closer to $2k, all in. I decided to go that route since my carrier also had one of the teeth pierce through it. If it had been just ground up gears, the rebuild would have been about $650 with labor. I still will be re-installing the diff, CVs, spindles, brakes, compressor and a special bracket for it. (Keeping AHC). Cruiser Outfitters out of Murray, UT will be doing the work when I can get the empty diff up to them, but it’s a 270 mile roundtrip. Not sure what it would cost to ship, but may look into that since no one near me is going up that way anytime soon...

No problems with my 99 model's front diff. I just wanted to move up to something stronger with a front Harrop eLocker for the long haul.

Gearinstalls will be doing the installation. Each installation is documented on their web site.

http://gearinstalls.com

1584526905167.png

No problems with my 99 model's front diff. I just wanted to move up to something stronger with a front Harrop eLocker for the long haul.

Gearinstalls will be doing the installation. Each installation is documented on their web site.

http://gearinstalls.com

View attachment 2242162
Jealous!!! That is the route I will eventually go. Plan to grab a button for blank over the rear diff locker (probably like ATRAC button from other vehicle and then go from there and have that energize it.

Thanks, that's a great deal on labor.
And he is one the best Toyota diff guys in the US. You will have a prefect job done by him.

And you don't need to pull diff for 2wd. Just pull front drive shaft and the two drive flanges on outboard end of hub. Number of write up here on how to.

Last edited:
And he is one the best Toyota diff guys in the US. You will have a prefect job done by him.

And you don't need to pull diff for 2wd. Just pull front drive shaft and the two drive flanges on outboard end of hub. Number of write up here on how to.

I'm planning to keep looking for a factory 4 pinion 3rd member. I've put a lot of miles on this thing in 4lo and where I go and what I do 2x locked works for me. Great to know this team as a resource though, thanks.

Update 4/8 - Front 3rd Build Finished and Shipped. Zuk at Toyota Gear Install Harrop has fast turnaround. He received the old diff late Monday and shipped the upgraded unit on Wednesday afternoon.

Bench testing the new eLocker.

Ohm Testing.

1586430013591.png

eLocker testing with 12 volts. All good.

1586430164933.png

Backlash Testing

Backlash was right at .006~.007.

The original setup with 235,000 miles measured 007~008. So just a touch tighter - but not too much.

1586430272863.png

Okay Guys,

Reviving this old thread mostly just to prove that I've tried a little to search it up but I may not
have the skills to search effectively...

What I'm looking for is simple (to ask anyway):

What 4 pinion third members are plug and play to replace a 2 pinion unit in a 99 100 series?

Obviously, a locker and aftermarket R&P are the best solve
but the "best" is sometimes the enemy of "the adequate" or the "best for now"...

Pretty sure a 2000 front diff will pop right in but for how many years is that the case?

1998-2002

99' LC. Front differential went out last week. Does anyone know of a good place to buy a replacement? Also, does anyone have any advice or know a forum listing the steps to taking out the driveline and just using RWD until I can find a replacement?

Thanks for any help!
I have one in Houston Texas I just removed for a solid axle swap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom