help a brother out on a score (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lurking from the 60/100 forums, but need some 55 advice -

Found a beat up looking 55 while in the desert SW this weekend, just sitting in a off the path parking lot with a sad "for sale" sign on it -
73, same owner for last 18y, odometer broke a decade ago per owner; prev 2 owners in the same area -

but fairly well "used". Some broken glass, bumpers and corners with dents, minor fender well rust. Paint nearly gone (oxidized), interior and dash shot beyond repair.
Frame looks straight, though, and scuffed with a little surface rust only; suspension pretty flat; reportedly $1,000 spent with a local mechanic over the last year for the front end and brakes; engine "runs". Did not get chance to drive it, just saw it, looked it over perfunctorily, and called the owner.

So - I realize this is pretty sketchy info - but what would a safe offer be for a good metal, good frame 55 that needs some superficial body work including front and rear bumpers, complete paint, needs interior complete including dash, and suspension?

I'm out of my league on 55s; but would love to rescue this one and give it a good home

txs

That's the bottom denominator amoung 4's, three speed, F engine, needs everything, yep, 500-1500 just depending on your desire for it.

Ditto that, I'd say $500-$1000. Seems weird, since they are becoming so rare, but a low price encourages someone to buy it, spend thousands (unintentionally) to "fix it up", then release it again to the market in much better shape.

thanks for the input. Seems to be a consensus.

Talked to the owner again, she wants 3K. Too bad, I was getting kinda jazzed about doing a frame off, have access to a rotisserie, sounded like a fun project to do over a year or so, after using a rotis once body work gets to be a lot more fun, will have a 2F and a 4sp soon as I'm converting my 60.

Ah well.

thanks again

I looked at a 55 a couple of weeks ago, they want $1,500 for it and there is a LOT of rust, like Flintstone mobile if it didn't have 3 sets of floormats. I think the rust free part of the one you are looking at makes it more valuable. I mean, pics would help, but they are getting very scarce.

Based on what you've said and what she is asking, offer her 2K and see what happens.

Ed

It will never sell for that much... Keep your eye on it and keep in contact with the owner...

800-1100 sounds about right for what you described. If you are able to drive it at 55 MPH and not feel like you're about to die, its probably worth the money dude. However, saying that, pigs are ugly; you have to really like them and have a special place in your heart for them. =)

Howdy! Well, you could arranage for an occasional visit from a few of your buddies. They could act interested/curious, and then bust out laughing about the price. They could explain that the owner would be WAY lucky to recover most of the $$$ spent on recent repair work. Just a thought. JOhn

Howdy! Well, you could arranage for an occasional visit from a few of your buddies. They could act interested/curious, and then bust out laughing about the price. They could explain that the owner would be WAY lucky to recover most of the $$$ spent on recent repair work. Just a thought. JOhn

Love it... Thats great...

town of Mesilla, a suburb of the metropolis of Las Cruces, right along the river in the Hatch/Mesilla Valley. Pretty country, it's a 3 owner truck, in that area its whole life, this owner x 18y.

She or someone has wheeled it with gusto as it has the scars to prove it, there's not an intact corner on it but the sides look pretty good - just really oxidized.

I'm torn, I can tell I need pics for more review by the x-sperts on the forum. It really is a pretty straight rig, just looks wildly neglected. And the interior is TOAST.

Emotionally it reminds me of a neglected dog in a pound, just want to take it home and fix it up.

But it's just a car; metal, glass, rubber and petroleum products.

Isn't it?

Howdy! Unless the current owner knows how to market that rig on Ebay, she will never get over about a grand for it. If she has owned it for 18 years, then she has got her money's worth. She should just cut her looses and sell it because it will be nothing but a money pit for her. Give it a couple of months of just sitting there, and then talk to her again. John

Emotionally it reminds me of a neglected dog in a pound, just want to take it home and fix it up.

Wow, sounds like you are somewhat attached already!

But it's just a car; metal, glass, rubber and petroleum products.

Isn't it?

I don't know, it's a Pig!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom