Help a brother out. Facts, lies, and opinions 80 series vs. 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I let this get away from me.. the other rear axle difference between 91-92 & 93-97 is the latter is full-float, while the early one is semi-float. Not that many people have problems with the early axle, but the later one is easier to work on and if you break an axle shaft on a trail can still be driven out. Also factory lockers are available from 93-on

Head gaskets are a common issue but I think it’s a symptom of otherwise inadequate cooling. MANY of these have fan clutches that are worn out, when combined with a terrible water temp gauge and small grille opening leads to many many miles of low-grade overheating. Then you take an iron block that is this long and stick an aluminum head on it...
Thank you for the concise replies, So i guess i'm really in the market for a 93-97 FJ80. There is one for sale in North Austin with a lot done to it but he says it gets hot. The head gasket was replaced as was the radiator and the thermostat but is still getting hot. Fan clutch maybe? My Suburban did sell today finally so I will be on the hunt. Pickings look slim at the moment.

Thank you for the concise replies, So i guess i'm really in the market for a 93-97 FJ80. There is one for sale in North Austin with a lot done to it but he says it gets hot. The head gasket was replaced as was the radiator and the thermostat but is still getting hot. Fan clutch maybe? My Suburban did sell today finally so I will be on the hunt. Pickings look slim at the moment.
Yeah I’d see if the fan clutch has been replaced, and even further “tuned”. You can open them up and alter the temp at which it starts locking up. Also possibly the AC condenser clogged with mud.

Keep in mind that with most vehicles simply driving down the freeway pushes adequate air through the grille to cool the vehicle without use of the fan unless you are maybe towing. As good as they look, 80s have a small grille opening that barely gets that job done when stock and everything else is working perfectly. As soon as you put a lift, tires, front bumper, rack, or anything that demands more HP when cruising, or put lights or a winch on that can block airflow, suddenly that fan is required to WORK on the freeway to keep the truck cool. I found high quality belts tensioned properly and a worked over Aisin fan clutch to be the secret to never having cooling issues with mine..

Also not to beat you up on semantics, but technically a 93-97 is a FZJ80, while a 91-92 is a FJ80. Since the 93+ had the 1FZ-FE engine, is a “J“ (landcruiser), and 80-series. Along the same lines as the UZJ100 and my URJ200, or a BJ40 being a b-series diesel 40. Welcome to being a cruiser head.

Josh, I’m thinking of letting go of my lx450 to focus on my LS swap. I was behind you in it on that trail drive what seems like 20 years ago.
1600172374485.jpeg

it's definitely a looker. VA hidden rust though with higher mileage. CA, AZ, NM, TX please.

I live in Cedar Park and you are welcome to come over if you want to check out an early 100.

A.J

Hey A.J,
I was reading through this thread because I’m contemplating buying an 80 or a 100.... i’m located around the corner in round rock, could come by and look at your 100 sometime?
-Jeremy

I might be selling mine (1999 100 series), too. Looking to get an old Gwagen if I can find a good deal on one. :)

I might be selling mine (1999 100 series), too. Looking to get an old Gwagen if I can find a good deal on one. :)
Pics? and Price?

1999, ARB upfront, Ironman/OME lift, BFG AT's, 225k miles. Thinking $10k. Sliders pictured below are not available (now on AJ's truck).

1601252419154.png

What's your budget? Both vehicles are great, but an 80 will be more expensive than an equivalently maintained and equivalent mileage 80.

What's your budget? Both vehicles are great, but an 80 will be more expensive than an equivalently maintained and equivalent mileage 80.
I think you got 80 mixed up with 100 somewhere in there..

Oops...80 more $$ than a 100 for equivalent mileage, quality, etc.
Ah, yeah. That’s my take. 80s have hit nostalgia phase.. they are marginally better off-road but the “coolness” is responsible for part of the higher cost now, despite the 100 being better in most other ways.

Ended up with a LX470. Thanks for all the help and tips! Prepare for a build thread and lots of AHC removal questions. LOL
lexusLX470.jpeg

Well that didn't last long. IronMan is sold out of diff drop kits. Is there any difference between the Slee diff drop vs. the Slinky? Slinky will be cheaper after shipping. Also, looking for 1 matching LX470 16 inch wheel. I don't have a spare tire. Thanks.
2Ironman4x4.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom