Help 91fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to get some advise on my fj80 on any performance mods to the engine I can do, I have just installed front and back ARB`S, and 4.88 gears

By "front and back ARB's" you mean lockers or bumpers? About preformance? The preformance exhaust from Man-A-Fre soon to be released is really the only "bolt-on" preformance mod. Advancing your timing some and a good tune-up are just about your only other options. There are other things, check out the "Since the 3FE is so slow..why no aftermarket support?" thread that I started a couple of months ago (use the search). Some good info there, from the $100 job to some $3000 jobs. Good luck, and welcome to the 3FE aka Dog world! :flipoff2: (Mud salute, our greeting and salutations to you!)

help 1991fj80

the ARB`S are lockers for the front and rear my next step will probable be my lift I would like to run 285/75r16 mtrs

I think you need bigger tires with 4.88s :) I would almost think you are overgeared for 34s..I haven't done the math but it seems like you went past stock.

Have you done the plugs, wires, etc? I found the exhaust (cat back), ensure all vacuums are good and hooked up, etc.

I have found just improving what is there makes a big difference.

Well, you're already locked so I would suggest run the 285/75s and put some sliders on. Save for the lift later. With sliders and lockers, you can slide over almost anything and not do much damage. Without the sliders, but with the confidence of lift and lockers, you might find yourself with a little more rocker damage than you'd like. BTW, those 285/75s fit on a stock rig, but since you're in a '91, you have 15" rims, so go with some 33x12.50s and run your stock rims.

T hank you all very much for the help it is much appreciated, I went to 4.88 because of the conversation I had with the sales rep at randys ring and pinion in hopes to gain a little extra power even with the tire increase but like you said maby i went to far

I would have done the same, 4.88s would get you a little more "pep" out of that 3FE, and would make 35's bearable if you decided to run them on down the road. Just get a good tune-up (replace distributor cap, plugs, wires, worn belts, cracking/worn hoses, and base-line try some synthetic gear oil) and maybe try some sea-foam to clean out your engine, it seems to do a good bit for the F series engines.

I am a service manager for a GM dealership, and our local justice brothers rep gave me a additive to try in the diff`s I dont no if I should have but its in there the performance is not horred but I wanted to go a little lower in the gear because I have a small moto trailer I wanted to pull behind on some of our trips. any place particular I should get those parts from or just a local parts shop ok

I wouldn't recommend additives in any oils, Mobil 1 synthetic has worked well for me, and many here will stand behind it. About those parts, give CruiserDan a PM telling him that you need the parts necessary for a tune-up on a '91 FJ80 and he will hook ya up...and if he likes you, you get 15% and free shipping.

No problem. And, good luck with your journey into the dark side of Cruiser headedness...here there is mad addiction to modification and maintainance, money magically dissapears here, so do beers and time.

You said 285s so you must have 16" rims on your FJ80. With 4.88s you should by all means get away with 315/75s which no doubt you'll wish you did if you get a lift. 1st lift, 2nd tires.

but wouldnt the higher I go increase body roll, I am confused then wich lift I should actually go with then

Last edited:
Where are you at in Idaho? These darn FJ80s keep popping up here :) I'm over in Mtn. Home.

With 4.88s I would go directly to OME J springs, L shocks, and 35x12.50x15 tires. Screw the 16" rims and tires. They are a lot more money and harder to find in stock.

When I had my 91 I ran J springs with 1" spacers in the front, 35x12.50x15s on Eagle Alloy 589s. It handled Awesome. Those wheels only had 3.25" backspacing so as I moved up I also when out. 15x8 wheels rather than 15x7s from the factory. I was about 4" wider than stock at the wheels. Slightly wider than that on the tire.

You are welcome to drive my 94 with 315s and 16" rims. Heck I'm trying to sell the darn things. I want to go to rim with less backspacing and I want to go more aggressive. I have BFG ATs with 1035 miles on them.

Shoot me a PM if you want my phone number. I'll most likely be bringing my 80 to Boise Sunday if that is close to you.

I am in Jerome Idaho about 2 hours away from you , so you dont think I will have a problem with my 4.88s and 35 " tires, is there much difference from 35"tires to 315s

Since the 3FE has a difficult time pulling the skin off of a custard, 4.88 gears are just dandy for 33 inch tires. With that ratio you will recover some of the lost mechanical advantage.

The "correct" original tire size for 3FE 80's is 235/75/15 which works out to be about 27 inches tall. Toyota also fitted 31x10.50 15 tires but did not bother to correct the final drive ratio in doing so.

D-

That would depend on what you intend to do with the vehicle.

Please expand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom