1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! 91 LC won't start!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Budd, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Budd

Budd

my 91 LC won't start, it'll turn over but not start. i've not getting any fire past the coil. i checked my FSM and it said to use a ohmmeter and check the primary coil resistance. it said if the coil tested at anything other than .41 to .5 to replace the coil. well it tested at .7. the secondary coil resistance tested ok. so i got another coil, i tested the new coils primary and it also tested at .7. WTF? the guy at NAPA said its probably the module (i forget what he called it) thing thats mounted under the coil. and that a new one is $250. what else could it be? any way to check the module thing? should i just bend over and take the $250? help guys

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

It's probably the EFI relay that's in the fuse box under the bonnet.

I believe this repair has been covered here on IH8MUD. If not, there are plenty of FJ80 owners that can assist with the instructions. Check the archives until one of them responds.

-B-

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    That would be the igniter. Are you sure it is a spark problem and not an EFI problem? 91-92 vehicles have a known EFI circuit issue.

4. Budd

Budd

but would the efi unit keep it from getting spark to the distributor? i'm not getting any spark past the coil

5. cruiserdan

I don't remember if that is the case, IIRC it relates only to fuel delivery. If you do indeed have an ignition issue then your trouble areas are: Coil, Igniter, Signal generator, Power, Wiring. Any one or combination of these couild be an issue. Do you have a FSM?

6. Budd

Budd

yes i do, and i'm going thro the troubleshooting in that but i'm not getting anywhere. is there any way to test the igniter?

7. cruiserdan

I do not have a 91-92 FSM handy My 93 has a trouble-shooting tree. It does not detail an igniter test. It DOES state, at the end of all the testing, that if you got this far and you are still not working "TRY ANOTHER IGNITER"

Pretty helpful ::)

8. 80Diff

80Diff Guest

I know 1st hand about this problem. Troubleshot my ignition for 3 days before having toyota dealer fix it for $200 labor and $13 in parts. Buy a $12 relay and save yourself some bucks. I've seen instructions somewhere on the web (this site maybe) Seams like an easy fix if you like to mess with wiring.

Greg

91 FJ80
    ARB Bull bar, Jacobs Off road ignition, & a Magnaflow exhaust

9. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

[quote author=80Diff link=board=2;threadid=12971;start=msg119739#msg119739 date=1079060334]
    I know 1st hand about this problem. Troubleshot my ignition for 3 days before having toyota dealer fix it for $200 labor and $13 in parts. Buy a $12 relay and save yourself some bucks. I've seen instructions somewhere on the web (this site maybe) Seams like an easy fix if you like to mess with wiring.

Greg

91 FJ80
    ARB Bull bar, Jacobs Off road ignition, & a Magnaflow exhaust
    [/quote]

oh crap -- this is something to look forward to -- :(

10. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=12971;start=msg119746#msg119746 date=1079060671]
    oh crap -- this is something to look forward to -- :(
    [/quote]

No, this is something you need to address.

11. Beowulf

Beowulf

Eric,
    The EFI relay is a known issue with the 91-92 FJ80s and it's not a big deal. The work-around is to buy a heavier EFI relay and there are some good posts that give aftermarket part numbers for relays that are "more robust" than the OEM relay.

IIRC, the root cause is that the wiring to that portion of the fuse box is too small. The permanent and recommend "fix" is to replace with heavier wire; then you can use the OEM relay. Many 3FE owners carry a couple of spare EFI relays just in case.

This is fairly well documented in the archives... if not here on IH8MUD then search Keep's SOR archives. (Where is he anyway?)

-B-

12. cruiserdan

The issue is not the relay, the wire gauge to the relay is what needs to be addressed. I have some old notes at work that I can review tomorrow.

IIRC, there is a reference on 80'scool as well.

13. lagwagon

lagwagon

If it is the relay you should be able to bypass it momentarely to check for spark. Of course it would be safer to try the $12 relay then immediately do any wiring upgrades/repairs so you don't burn your Cruiser.

14. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12971;start=msg119806#msg119806 date=1079064953]
    The issue is not the relay, the wire gauge to the relay is what needs to be addressed. I have some old notes at work that I can review tomorrow.

IIRC, there is a reference on 80'scool as well.
    [/quote]

I would appreciate this tons, C-Dan -- I'll start with your response -- you can throw the cheapie stuff in my latest order -- :)

15. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Eric this is really quite simple of a change. The suppliy wire to the relay needs to be increased. This is done by opening up the fuse box under the hood and swapping it out. Then plug in a new relay.

16. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=12971;start=msg119903#msg119903 date=1079099196]
    Eric this is really quite simple of a change. The suppliy wire to the relay needs to be increased. This is done by opening up the fuse box under the hood and swapping it out. Then plug in a new relay.
    [/quote]

cool rick -- seems simple now --

-- :)

e

17. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Eric, my impression is that a good amount of these trucks have been modified. You might want to open up that box and check it out.

18. cruiserdan

I found my old notes:

There is a 12 gauge wire, red with a yellow tracer that goes from the EFI fuse to the EFI relay. That needs to be changed to 10 gauge. Then there is a 12 gauge wire, yellow with a red tracer that goes from the EFI relay to EB1. That also needs to be changed to 10 gauge. It is a good idea to replace the EFI relay at the same time (90987-02004-83).

:cheers: D-

19. Budd

Budd

w00t!! it was the EFI relay, i had to drive 30 miles to find a parts store that had one, but it worked. thanks for the replies guys :beer:

20. cruiserdan

Make sure to see if the wires have been upgraded. If not, you will eventually have the same problem.