Help. 78 2f Engine Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the middle of pulling my 2f Engine from my 78 FJ40 and I'm running into a problem. I cannot separate the engine from transmission! I have removed the four main bolts from the transmission to the bell housing. I have removed the side braces from the frame to the bell housing. The engine is swinging completely free but still connected to the transmission. I have put the transmission into neutral. I have supported the transmission and raised the engine slightly and rocked it agressively but still no luck in separating the two. Can anyone help me? I clearly must be doing something wrong.

use a pry bar between the trans and the bellhousing. is there any seperation at all?

you can disconnect the driveshafts and park brake cable and speedo cable and reverse light wires and pull the entire unit trans and engine.

most of the time the pilot bearing "freezes" on the trans input shaft.

Is there any possibility of damage if I use a pry bar between the bell housing and the transmission? Currently I have 1/8 in gap on the passenger side but flush fit on the driver side. Are there also alignment pins between the two? Could I have broken free the passenger side and still need a good amount of force on the driver side?

Just trying to remove the bell housing (engine attached) from the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom