Help! 77 Bj4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I just got my hands on a fully restored 77 BJ40, it's in N.Carolina and going to take a few weeks to make the trip across the nation, so I thought I would hop on the forums and find out what I've gotten myself into.

I've heard stories that the new diesel goofs up the fuel pumps. Has anyone tried to run one of these beasts on grease? I guess the gearing is REAL low, is there any kind of conversion, or mod I can do to the cruiser to make it a little more "in town" friendly?

Any help is greatly appreciated!:)

Hello,

I just got my hands on a fully restored 77 BJ40, it's in N.Carolina and going to take a few weeks to make the trip across the nation, so I thought I would hop on the forums and find out what I've gotten myself into.

I've heard stories that the new diesel goofs up the fuel pumps. Has anyone tried to run one of these beasts on grease? I guess the gearing is REAL low, is there any kind of conversion, or mod I can do to the cruiser to make it a little more "in town" friendly?

If the gearing is to low for you, you can get taller tires.

Hello, welcome to the forum. Your truck is a 40 series, and diesel. This is for the 70 series trucks.... no biggie. I will move you over to the diesel section.

Then if you have an chassis questions feel free to post in the 40 series section.

Cheers.

My fault =) thought it was delineated by year, not model.

Hello,

yup there is few BJ 'S Running on waste veg oil/bio diesel. If you search those things in the diesel section you may find them.

The new Ulsd has also just been discussed on here a bit, see here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=94337

The gearing will not be a problem. It has the same ring and pinion as an FJ from the same year. You will see a difference in the transmission, where you have a super low 1st gear. s you get higher in the gears, they will eventually match the H42 that is in the same year FJs. Your 4th gear is 1:1 just like a domestic.

I have the same tranny and I love being able ot use the super low and still have a decent cruising gear.

Kraig.

The newer diesel doesn't affect the inline fuel pumps so much and it doesn't happen overnight so you should be safe for your trip home.

I would just make sure the batteries and glow system are working ok,I guess its still pretty cold up that way.

Sounds like a fun trip;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom