Help...2nd set of new CV axles in a month and still have vibrations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my right cv axle was completely falling apart and started making a clicking sound and I was already scheduled for new valve cover gaskets so I scheduled the repair. I had all the work done about 4 weeks ago and noticed after picking it up that at about 50 mph there was a pretty noticeable vibration until about 55 mph.

I gave it a few days hoping they just needed to be broken in some but it remained and I actually felt like I could feel a vibration all the time. I dropped it back off at the shop before vacation last week and the shop drove it and agreed and said there must be a bad axle so they replaced both of them again free of charge. It is my normal shop and they normally do great work. The shop did drive it and said it was ok and had driven it before and verified that I was not crazy....for the moment at least.

After picking it up again yesterday with the second set installed I still have a vibration from 50 to 55 mph that anyone driving it would notice and obviously was never there before. The truck does feel much tighter and i feel drives better but still has the vibration.

I think the odds of two bad sets of new axles (not rebuilt) are pretty high so I need any help in what might be wrong or should have been done. I don't know the brand of axles but I do know they were not Toyota and that was after the fact but I did not see as it being a really big deal on a 14 year old truck. Maybe I should have.

Only modifications are Slee spacers in the rear with torsion bar cranked up in the front.

All comments welcomed....thanks in advance.

Seems to be pretty common here that aftermarket cv's with a lift and no diff drop have vibration issues. Aftermarket cv's use a 3-ball design as opposed to the OEM which are a smoother 6-ball. I believe the 3-ball design paired up with a lift causes the vibration issue.

I am running aftermarket cv's with a slee diff drop. No vibration that I can detect. Sounds like you're going to spend more money on OEM cv's or a Slee diff drop.

I have aftermarket CVs with no diff drop and lifted and have no issues.

Are your tires wearing uneven? Have you checked the pressure in them? Could cause some vibration.

I would look at tire balance as well. It's unlikely that two sets of cv's would cause an issue at the same speed.

I am due for an oil, rotation and balance in a few miles so I will have that done probably next week.

I also agree that two sets and the same vibration are just a symptom of the new axles and not the axles themselves.

The front end was aligned last year when I did the spacers and torsion bar up front. Does it need to be done again after the axles are replaced. I know cars pretty well but not really anything dealing with suspensions.

Appreciate all the responses so far...good information.

have an alignment done when they do above

Try lowering the front some to see if it goes away. When I bought mine it had the front bars cranked pretty high and it had a felt vibration, I lowered it about a inch and the vibes went away

check the wheel bearings, rotate the tires, check wheel balance... then probably buy reman'd OEM axles (minimum, others prefer Toyota axles).. but not aftermarket, since, as was said before, the three-ball design cannot handle the angles caused by a lift.

@slacker24-7's recommendation is a smart test to see if the axle angle is the problem. Crank it back down to stock (count the # of turns on the adjuster bolt so you can put it back lifted) and see if the vibrations stop.

Check the front u joints. I had the exact same issue and it ended up being them

UPDATE: finally got the truck in for front alignment, rotation, oil change and to have the front torsion bars adjusted as they were not even and too high. Hoping all of this would take the shake, rattle and roll out of the vehicle since the new non-oem front axles were put in.

Well, he drove it before doing any of this and said right off the axles were crap....just like all of you said...live and learn right.

I can probably get the shop to comp me the labor and credit on the parts but the OEM are much more expensive. My question is: where is the best place to order the parts from for the best price. I have checked a few places online and the prices are from $420 to $580 a piece....DANG!

Any help here...thanks in advance.

Another vote for CVJ, have had no issues with them.

Another note, are you running a lift or a diff drop? You might want to see if you have any angle on your axles. I just had a Tough dog lift installed, the shop didn't adjust the front high enough, the CV's are almost flat and I have vibration at speed. I'm going to bump the front up an inch and see what it does.

These guys are the best. I have run their rebuilt axles on a lifted 100 with 35's with no issues. They are the real deal. Shipping is gonna suck.

Running a lift, UCAs, Slee diff drop.
Just ordered new OEM axle to see if that fixed it. Shop is going to install for free and give me $300 reimbursement for the aftermarket I had just had installed.

Another vote for CVJ, have had no issues with them.

Another note, are you running a lift or a diff drop? You might want to see if you have any angle on your axles. I just had a Tough dog lift installed, the shop didn't adjust the front high enough, the CV's are almost flat and I have vibration at speed. I'm going to bump the front up an inch and see what it does.
Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by bumping it up in the front? Are you talking about cranking the torsion bars?

I'll snap some picks, but yeah, adjust the torsion bars untill there is some angle to the axles.

Drivers Side looks lower/flatter than Passenger. When I get home, I'm going to raise them both level with the rear, right now they are about 1" down.
IMG_20181015_125145.jpg
IMG_20181015_125137.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom