Help....... 2F won't fire up after D.U.I. dizzy re-installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Need help here. My '78 cruiser won't fire up after I re-installed the D.U.I. dizzy. I have to pulled-out the dizzy to remove the snapped hold down bolt. But before I pulled out the dizzy, I marked all the HT wires positions on the dizzy and spark plugs. I also remove the cap and mark the position of the rotor as well. So, after replacing the hold down bolt, I just dropped back the dizzy and re-installed the HT wires and tried to fire it up but no luck.

I search the web for some procedures but I think I'm missing something. Does anyone have a clear procedure on how to re-install a D.U.I. dizzy on a 2F from scratch.

Your help and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

gado

The engine was not turned at all while the distributor was removed, right?

Also, did you push the distributor in far enough to bottom out into the oil pump drive slot and into the cam gears?

Jerry D.

Well, I have installed a many a distributor into unknown engines. You can start from scratch. With the 2F Remove #1 spark plug and then turn the engine over until the piston is at top dead center (TDC, piston is all the way up) on a compression stroke. You can turn the engine by hand using a socket wrench on the front bolt. You can stick something like a wooden dowel into the spark plug hole to feel the piston is at the top. You want the piston at the top on a compression stroke, both valves closed. This can be felt if you are tuning the engine with a finger over the plug hole. Or the valve cover off you see the valves closed. Then insert the dizzy so that the rotor points to #1 plug wire when the dizzy is all the way down, making sure it is seating all the way, engaging the oil pump drive slot and cam gear. Should be in time enough. Start it and throw the timing light on it.

Hi JAFO2014,
Thanks for your comment. Does it matter if I bring #1 piston either TDC or BTDC on compression stroke? The FSM said bring piston #1 to BTDC. Also, when dropping the dizzy, should the rotor be directly in contact with plug tower #1 or there should be few degrees lagging? BTW my dizzy is a D.U.I.

Thanks and regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom