HELP! 2f overheating, cracked block?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So on my first 5k+ cross country trip in my 83 60 series cruiser I overheated and was blowing significant white smoke out the back. Was told it was a cracked head. I removed the head and had it re-surfaced as well as a valve job at wholesale auto machine in San Diego. However they informed me it had no cracks. I reinstalled the head with all new gaskets and torque specked every bolt. Test drive went great for about 45 minutes until I encountered the same overheating issue and the white smoke was back.
Really hoping I don’t have a cracked block as I’ve been told that is super rare. Scoped the cylinders and found cool and in cylinders 2 and 6.
since then I have flushed the cooling system and replaced the t-stat as well as added some block seal As a last resort before pulling the motor all together. Hasn’t overheated at idle but havnt test drove it significantly.
Thinking of replacing the radiator but would love any insight from you cruiser guys as to what my problem may be or if anyone has experienced similar issues.

Do it again with a Toyota head gasket, did mine 3 times before swapping to OEM head gasket, have not had an issue yet

That sucks, and disappointing after you did all that work. Sorry to hear.

My 60 had a cracked block but no white smoke. Telltale sign was coolant leaking down the side of the block - in case you haven't searched for that yet. The crack was right below a freeze plug.

Remove the head again and use the Toyota head gasket. Retorque the head bolts after first warm up, 50 miles, 100 miles, 250 miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom