Help! 2F Desmog not starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gbogh

SILVER Star
Threads
Halp!
I just *attemted to* desmog my truck per http://everythingfj60.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/How+to+Desmog+an+FJ60-2.pdf with the exception of using just plate to block off egr. I recurved the distributor per The Rushing Turdle post #154.
I am not very carb saavy. I tried the normal choke & 3 pumps and it flooded out the top of the carb and then (after waiting a little) no choke no pumps and still flooded the carb. There are times when it seems like it's close to catching but doesnt.
Background:
87 FJ60 just replaced fuel hose & filter, air filter, spark plugs, new (to me) distributor (DIY recurve), carb has not been modified, I kept HAC.
I'm going to play with timing a little tomorrow, and look more at symptoms and research this carb.
I'd rather not have to tow this to Torfab and beg for mercy.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Are you saying there is fuel coming out the top of the carb...or fuel bowl is filling past the glass? Did you have the air horn off the top of the carb?
Have you verified you are getting spark from the new to you distributor? The diy recurve shouldn't effect anything at startup but did you verify air gap when you put it back together? Static timed by any chance?
If you go to post 101 in my sig line, there are some simple diagrams to double check vacuum routing.

Fuel is leaking out of the airhorn. The airhorn is installed. I have not verified spark, but have heard the thumps of cylinders firing, I will verify that today. I did not verify air gap, I will do that as well. I did the static timing per the FSM. I'll double check vacuum routing per your thread.

If you could post a pic of where the fuel is leaking, that may help....and maybe just some general pics around the carb and engine bay. When you replaced fuel line, which ones?
If you static timed, the air gap should be good enough to get it started.

I replaced all the engine bay soft line. The leak is coming from between the air horn and carb, you can see it's a little wet

IMG_20171211_104042.jpg

That gasket needs to get seated better up into the rim of the underside of the air cleaner cover BUT.... fuel should def not be seeping up and out of the top of the carb. Pull the air cleaner cover and get a better photo of how it looks exactly once pulled. I would be hesitant to tell you to start it w/o the cover with THAT much fuel leaking up. I'll step back for the gurus to chime in if they can but I'll be the first to say something went way wrong...
Felicity

And from what I see you have not pulled anything apart from the carb? Didn't open it up yada yada and happen to forget to add the spacer between the base and the middle section?
Better pixs of the carb from further back would be helpful too.

Lunch break
The phenolic spacer is installed, the pipe that comes off it has a slight jiggle though.
I didn't touch that line when I replaced the fuel lines, I will look at that when I get back to the truck.
I put the timing light on while cranking and no spark. Upon further investigation it looks like the distributor was 180° out. ROOKIE MISTAKE. I am very embarrassed. I have my stepdad over here watching me do everything with the FSM in his hands. Gotta slow down a bit. I'll update again when I'm back at the truck.

IMG_20171211_104050.jpg

IMG_20171211_104050.jpg

Last edited:
Picture of the body of the carb might help more but good to know you figured out the diz being flip flopped.

It runs! Timing was out. I'm a doof. Next issue- the puddle tof oil that formed in the 15 min it was running (oil pan gasket).

15130383449694160085490515529126.jpg

Glad you fixed it. Even better it was an easy fix. We all learn by trial and error. For me, the best lessons are when I mess it up.

I did make one change in the vacuum routing. You can see the tube from the phenolic spacer is capped with the red plug and the drivers side vcv is now routed to the air cleaner.
Idle is high (even warm it's hovering around 900). I'm going to change the pan gasket and play with timing & idle tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom