Help - 2000 LX master key vs copy or valet ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Formulaonehd

NWZ - The storm is here
Threads
Hey all

Was reading through some old.threads hoping to get my answer but not quite and before I head of to Mr T and get slapped an enormous bill (where we live we pay twice what you all pay )

I tried the master key check by popping in the ignition and seeing if the red light goes out. Alas there is no red security light on ours . This key locks and unlocks with the buttons + alarms as well

Main key goes in and the steering wheel then auto extends out and then car will start when giving it the old twist .

Secondary key which I received from PO without a fob does the same thing when inserting however the car turns over but doesn't actually start .

Thoughts here ? Pic of keys below and I'm looking to get a new one anywho but want to know if this means the main key is a master key or not

IMG_20210217_103535.jpg

Just a random thought...can you set the seat preset positions when using the key with a fob in the ignition? I can’t set my presets with my valet key but can do pretty much everything else (that doesn’t require a fob)...

Just a random thought...can you set the seat preset positions when using the key with a fob in the ignition? I can’t set my presets with my valet key but can do pretty much everything else (that doesn’t require a fob)...
my preset buttons dont work unfortunately. Never have since i got it. May be a fuse of bad link. never looked into it. I think in my case the fob (from what i have read) has the transponder and not the key blade. Hence no engine start but steering wheel recognises the key blade hence it moves and it will crank but not start (immbolised)

Take the cut key 'shank' and insert into the ignition. Simultaneously hold the key with the transponder (black head) very near the ignition tumbler and see if the vehicle starts.

OK so i found the flashing light which i thought would be on the drivers dash and if its this one (in the pic) then it turns off straight away with the key fob key but if you insert only the keyblade it keeps flashing. Is this the same on the US versions? or is it up on the speedo dash?
Assuming my understanding , the light going out straight away means its the master key?

lx.jpg

OK so i found the flashing light which i thought would be on the drivers dash and if its this one (in the pic) then it turns off straight away with the key fob key but if you insert only the keyblade it keeps flashing. Is this the same on the US versions? or is it up on the speedo dash?
Assuming my understanding , the light going out straight away means its the master key?

View attachment 2587823

YES....that is it.

It is responding as it should. That light (when a key is not in the ignition) is ALWAYS flashing, its just that you can't really see it very well in the daylight.

A MASTER KEY will cause that light to go out immediately when the key is inserted into the ignition tumbler.

The key blank/shank will NOT turn it off or start the vehicle because no transponder is present. BUT if you hold the other key (with transponder head on it) right near the ignition, while inserting the key shank....I bet it will start the vehicle. To use the second key (to start the car) you'll need a transponder head for it and program it.

Some folks even zip tie a working transponder behind the dash panel (right up against the ignition tumbler) and then use cut keys to start the vehicle. It will NOT start without a working transponder near the ignition.

Excellent, thank god i have the master key. Lexus quoted me $1800 to replace if not! Yowch

Maybe I’m missing something...I don’t know that we know for sure if your key is a “master” only that it has a transponder chip that is tied to your truck. My valet key that is most definitely not a master key will disable the immobilizer, that’s what the transponder chip is for.

I believe it is possible to code the fob key to not technically be a master key, even though it can disable the immobilizer. If your fob key isn’t a master key it is harder to link new keys to the truck. It used to be an expensive service requiring an ECU swap but my dealer recently told me it was possible.

I believe Techstream can be used to verify if the key is a master. Other newer OBD readers/apps may be able to do the same but I don’t know.

Buy a key off eBay and try to program it. If you fail then your key likely isn’t programmed as a master key. That should be much less than the $1800 AUD you are being quoted.

Also, you may not have functioning seat presets because you may not have a master key, not because of a wiring/electrical issue.

Maybe I’m missing something...I don’t know that we know for sure if your key is a “master” only that it has a transponder chip that is tied to your truck. My valet key that is most definitely not a master key will disable the immobilizer, that’s what the transponder chip is for.

I believe it is possible to code the fob key to not technically be a master key, even though it can disable the immobilizer. If your fob key isn’t a master key it is harder to link new keys to the truck. It used to be an expensive service requiring an ECU swap but my dealer recently told me it was possible.

I believe Techstream can be used to verify if the key is a master. Other newer OBD readers/apps may be able to do the same but I don’t know.

Buy a key off eBay and try to program it. If you fail then your key likely isn’t programmed as a master key. That should be much less than the $1800 AUD you are being quoted.

Also, you may not have functioning seat presets because you may not have a master key, not because of a wiring/electrical issue.
If the red security light goes out immediately after you insert the key, the chip in the key is a registered MASTER. If the red security light takes about 2 seconds to go out after inserting the key, the the chip in the key is a registered VALET. If the light keep flashing with a key inserted it means the chip is not recognized or the chip is missing.

TechStream only works on the +03 vehicles to program keys.

If the red security light goes out immediately after you insert the key, the chip in the key is a registered MASTER. If the red security light takes about 2 seconds to go out after inserting the key, the the chip in the key is a registered VALET. If the light keep flashing with a key inserted it means the chip is not recognized or the chip is missing.

TechStream only works on the +03 vehicles to program keys.

^^^^

Correct.

Any key with a transponder can be 'programmed' to be a Master key. I think that is what @utflowerman is confused about.

But as you say IF the security light goes out immediately the key IS a Master Key.

Thanks for the input all, as always MUD has potentially saved the day

$1800? Wow! I can mail you a programmed chip to virginize your ecu for free. Swapping it is easy.

$1800? Wow! I can mail you a programmed chip to virginize your ecu for free. Swapping it is easy.
Thanks mate that is really appreciated. I will get in contact with you if i have no joy with my local locksmith today

Thanks mate that is really appreciated. I will get in contact with you if i have no joy with my local locksmith today
Cool. A locksmith should be able to get it. I think a lot of them can now.

All sorted , it was the master key thank god. Got the new flip key style and a new fob and cut for the master key .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom