Help: 1hd-ft lost power / turbo does not spool up

Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
74
Location
Vancouver, Canada
Hi Everyone,

Hoping I can get some ideas for diagnosing and fixing this.

1hd-ft engine
Went through a mud-puddle today and then lost all engine power. The best way to describe is that I flooring them gas pedal and get no response. If the vehicle is facing uphill, the only way to get it moving is in low gear. If it’s on a flat surface, it will very very slowly accelerate and rev up until the turbo finally spools up.

This is only in gear. At idle the engine revs up without issues and at top rpm (4000) I get around 4 psi boost.

I checked vacuum hoses and they are all plugged in.

The transmission kick down cable seems quite loose and I tried to tighten it - moved the adjustment but by about 3/4” forward but I don’t think it made a difference.

I am currently limping home :(

Update: glow plug light also came on (I know it has an air heater rather than glow plugs)
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jun 20, 2020
Messages
2
Location
Bangkok, Thailand
Did you managed to fix this? Make sure the hose on top of the boost compensator is connected, had mine out and drove it, was driving like an HZ and soot everywhere.
 
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
74
Location
Vancouver, Canada
Did you managed to fix this? Make sure the hose on top of the boost compensator is connected, had mine out and drove it, was driving like an HZ and soot everywhere.
I spent a week troubleshooting it.

- checked the waste gate actuator by trying to move it by hand - solid, no play
- checked the gas tank screen (clean)
- isolated the pump by running from a bottle, by passing the filter and the fuel lines
- checked the glow screen relay (my glow screen light is on)
- checked vacuum - measured fine and held vacuum with the engine off
- checked the boost tap going from the cross-over pipe to the boost compensator pump and even ran a brand new line bypassing the Turbo Pressure Sensor and the VSV entirely
- checked SICS and BACS
- increased fuel by adjusting adjusted the orientation of the aneroid pin, and
- deleted the ACSD and then adjusted idle back to around 680 rpm
- checked the timing belt for signs of slippage or burn in case the fuel pump bearing was sticky

Nothing was working, until yesterday, when the problem suddenly went away. The last thing I did was the ACSD delete, but I tested the truck after that, and it seemed the same, except for higher RPM at idle, which I adjusted for with the idle screw.

The following day inspected the timing belt, which required me to pull the idler on the AC/ALT belt to remove the timing belt cover. Everything seemed fine, so I put it back together and tested again. Almost right away I got a bit more power, and then as I was driving it was getting better and better until the truck started performing better than ever before, really feeling the extra fuel.

I don't know what exactly fixed it, or whether the fix will persist.

My only real guess at this point is that this was a delayed reaction to deleting the ACSD, as I think it was stuck, and maybe it took the pump a bit of driving to work it out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom