HELP! 1993 FZJ80 (US Spec) starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
I am having some electrical issues and the truck won't start. It happens once in a while.
Here is a recap on electrical things installed and overhauled on the truck.

July 2022 Installed ARB Intensity solis lights. On the first trip, I had a christmas tree on my dashboard. All things pointed towards alternator. So an overhaul was done and it worked perfect, also the lights.
January 2023 Installed a new stereo (Alpine) with 4 new speakers and tweeters, antena on the windscreen and USB charging outlets. On the next day post installation, the truck didn't start and also the stereo had like a short circuit because it stopped working. Had a mechanic tap on the starter and it then started. So inicial thoughts pointed towards the starter engine. Did an overhaul, seemed to work OK till last Friday. Same issue, truck wouldn't start. But then magically, it did start.
Yesterday I did a few errands, truck worked perfectly fine, until late in the afternoon it refused to start again. Tried for half an hour, tapped the starter engine and nothing.

It has power, voltmeter seems ok, everything electric works, lights, windows, power lock etc. Even when I turn the key I can hear something (really low), but it seems as if there is now power reaching the starter motor, because it doesn't even turn.

So my guess is that it has something to do with the stereo installation. Since that installation, this problem appeared. I believe they also installed a "thing" so that I could watch videos/movies while not in "P".

Does anyone has any idea as to where I can start looking for my problem.

Battery Optima D34 2 years old.
Alternator Overhauled 6 months ago
Starter motor overhauled 1 month ago.

Any input would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers

Are your fusible links good? Do you have the factory alarm system? Check Your grounds to the chassis and engine block.

Hi guys,
I am having some electrical issues and the truck won't start. It happens once in a while.
Here is a recap on electrical things installed and overhauled on the truck.

July 2022 Installed ARB Intensity solis lights. On the first trip, I had a christmas tree on my dashboard. All things pointed towards alternator. So an overhaul was done and it worked perfect, also the lights.
January 2023 Installed a new stereo (Alpine) with 4 new speakers and tweeters, antena on the windscreen and USB charging outlets. On the next day post installation, the truck didn't start and also the stereo had like a short circuit because it stopped working. Had a mechanic tap on the starter and it then started. So inicial thoughts pointed towards the starter engine. Did an overhaul, seemed to work OK till last Friday. Same issue, truck wouldn't start. But then magically, it did start.
Yesterday I did a few errands, truck worked perfectly fine, until late in the afternoon it refused to start again. Tried for half an hour, tapped the starter engine and nothing.

It has power, voltmeter seems ok, everything electric works, lights, windows, power lock etc. Even when I turn the key I can hear something (really low), but it seems as if there is now power reaching the starter motor, because it doesn't even turn.

So my guess is that it has something to do with the stereo installation. Since that installation, this problem appeared. I believe they also installed a "thing" so that I could watch videos/movies while not in "P".

Does anyone has any idea as to where I can start looking for my problem.

Battery Optima D34 2 years old.
Alternator Overhauled 6 months ago
Starter motor overhauled 1 month ago.

Any input would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers
Battery to chassis ground x2 especially on the battery side. Are you running stock battery cables? Post a picture of your battery cable setup

Thanks for the replies.

Checked every connection, seems OK.

Tow truck came, connected a battery starter, and the started cranked like new. Alternator is charging. Battery seemed dead, it’s a 2 year old optima D34, with stock cables.

I have the factory alarm system, I believe.

Just left the truck at the music shop, and the guys already told there is a “loss” of battery somewhere, don’t know yet. Will keep you posted on any news!

So maybe the battery died slowly with that loss. Don’t know yet.

Cheers

Battery to chassis ground x2 especially on the battery side. Are you running stock battery cables? Post a picture of your battery cable setup
D32FB582-7C01-4F40-AF6F-754C53A35A11.jpeg

This is where I suggest you start. Lots of great info in this post on what to do if your engine doesn't want to start. Print it out, keep it in the glovebox!

Hi guys, thanks all for your replyies your advices are being addressed.
NEWS:
The guys at the music shop found a "leak". My insurance company installed a few years a go a sat track device, but instead of having an autonomous power supply (battery) they connected it to the harness on the vehicle (really stupid). Thery removed it and the leak stopped. The thing is that it drained my battery, currently at 9.3 V. Don't know if it is possible to bring back to life a yellow D34 Optima.
Also they removed a remote locking aftermarket system, don't want anything non OEM on my electric wiring. Except my ARB lights,
So next step is to check everything again, battery cables, connectors, alternator, starter motor etc.

On the audio part, that wasn't working, the thing is that the back door speakers were in contact with the sheet metal on the doors. This is because my instructions were not to cut or bend the OEM speaker holes. Unluckily, this had to be done in order to accommodate the speakers.

Will let you know if something new comes up,.

Cheers and thanks a lot!

Glad you fixed it.

Hi guys, thanks all for your replyies your advices are being addressed.
NEWS:
The guys at the music shop found a "leak". My insurance company installed a few years a go a sat track device, but instead of having an autonomous power supply (battery) they connected it to the harness on the vehicle (really stupid). Thery removed it and the leak stopped. The thing is that it drained my battery, currently at 9.3 V. Don't know if it is possible to bring back to life a yellow D34 Optima.
Also they removed a remote locking aftermarket system, don't want anything non OEM on my electric wiring. Except my ARB lights,
So next step is to check everything again, battery cables, connectors, alternator, starter motor etc.

On the audio part, that wasn't working, the thing is that the back door speakers were in contact with the sheet metal on the doors. This is because my instructions were not to cut or bend the OEM speaker holes. Unluckily, this had to be done in order to accommodate the speakers.

Will let you know if something new comes up,.

Cheers and thanks a lot!
You can install spacers on the rear, i’ve done that for my speakers.

For your troubles, i would still look at the starter. How was it overhauled? Get a new one or jam a screwdriver and jump start the starter when it’s having trouble starting.

For your troubles, i would still look at the starter. How was it overhauled? Get a new one or jam a screwdriver and jump start the starter when it’s having trouble starting.
On Monday is going back to shop that did the starter.
Will keep you posted.
Will have to look at the battery also

Sorry for my ignorance.
How is that "jam a screwdriver" trick done?
Thx

Sorry for my ignorance.
How is that "jam a screwdriver" trick done?
Thx
search on YouTube for a video explanation. This was the trick I used in my early teenager years when I wanted to "borrow' my dad's car, friend's motorcycle, or other shenanigans. :rofl: It's a little harder these days due to the intergrated starter solenoid and the location of the starters but still can be done through persistence.

search on YouTube for a video explanation. This was the trick I used in my early teenager years when I wanted to "borrow' my dad's car, friend's motorcycle, or other shenanigans. :rofl: It's a little harder these days due to the intergrated starter solenoid and the location of the starters but still can be done through persistence.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Cheers!

I’m order to give you guys a closure on my issue, the thing was that the battery was semi dead. Below 12 V. The guys did a slow charge and seems OK. Hopefully no more starting issues.
Currently at 13.3 V while stopped, 14 V at idle and with AC and lights ON
Nevertheless, I bought some fuses and relays to stock in the truck. And I am considering a new battery

I’m order to give you guys a closure on my issue, the thing was that the battery was semi dead. Below 12 V. The guys did a slow charge and seems OK. Hopefully no more starting issues.
Currently at 13.3 V while stopped, 14 V at idle and with AC and lights ON
Nevertheless, I bought some fuses and relays to stock in the truck. And I am considering a new battery
So, the 80 didn't start again. Did a jump start with my daily car and it started like a champ. So the starter seems OK.
Went to a battery shop, the guy told me the battery is fine! He didn't wanted to sell me a new one.
Tomorrow I am loading the 80 in a truck, I am having a trip up north with my family and some friends, but the situation has me really nervous. I don't know when it will fail again. I am carrying fuses, relays, but maybe I should carry a new battery? Just in case

Had intermittent issues too. Replaced starter, links, starter switch, wiring, etc...still had issues. Best mod ever..jumper switch:
Screenshot_20230320-120913.png

Had intermittent issues too. Replaced starter, links, starter switch, wiring, etc...still had issues. Best mod ever..jumper switch:
View attachment 3277733
"My mechanic" told me the same I believe. He will put a cable directly from the starter to the battery I suppose, so if I have the issue I can bypass "something"?. Didn't quite understand him but I believe it is the same thing you are telling me.
Thx.
Cheers

"My mechanic" told me the same I believe. He will put a cable directly from the starter to the battery I suppose, so if I have the issue I can bypass "something"?. Didn't quite understand him but I believe it is the same thing you are telling me.
Thx.
Cheers
My issue was (i think) the logic side of the ignition switch/starter was not seeing the proper amount of power in given circumstances, and created the no start. This made it hard to troubleshoot- also during these times, I couldnt jump the car off either with a jumpbox. But wiring in a direct power source that I can cut power to with a switch eliminates any stranded situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom