HELP - 1973 TOYOTA FJ40 VIRGINIA BEACH, VA - MILITARY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post on this forum but you guys have helped me over the years with everything to replacing my gas tank to rebuilding the carb on my 1973 FJ40. Appreciate all the help. Asking for some more help... I am currently in the Navy stationed in Virginia Beach, VA. I just found out I am being stationed OCONUS (Rota, Spain) for 3 years- sounds amazing right? Except I can't bring my beloved FJ40.

The way I see it -I have two options: Sell or Long-term storage somewhere. I don't want to sell it, however it is tempting especially when I am getting offers for $35K. My FJ is in amazing shape. Original everything and runs great.

Does anyone have any experience in using long term storage for a classic car. Or is anyone in the Virginia Beach, VA area that wouldn't mind holding on to it for three years (starting it, driving it around, ect)
From my understanding the military will not pay for my to store it...

Thanks,
Jack

IMG_4013.jpg

Double check on whether the military will pay for storage (at least for one year). I worked for the Department of the Interior and was offered a promotion to GS-12. The Gov paid for my move and 1 yr of storage until we bought a house. I do know the Gov has tightened up on relocation benefits, though.

Maybe a "loan" to a family member?

I would try to store it near a family member who can look in on it. Having a friend babysit it works ok, until the friend gets divorced or moves or the apple cart gets upset and your truck gets ignored/abandoned. It might cost a fortune, but there is likely a collector car place that would store it and start it (for a fee) for this time. You're not the only person in this situation.

You might check with that place in VA Beach that has the tv show. That guy may know of a place nearby, Shoot tell him you want a 12v outlet installed and you will pick it up in 3 years! lol!

Wonder if they'd drop their price if all you want is it stored inside and not driven or anything. Remove the battery, drain the carb and gas tank and put it on jack stands. Assuming they have rodent mitigation that thing would start back up no problem after sitting 3 years.

Wonder if they'd drop their price if all you want is it stored inside and not driven or anything. Remove the battery, drain the carb and gas tank and put it on jack stands. Assuming they have rodent mitigation that thing would start back up no problem after sitting 3 years.

Well, you can always call and ask. Three years of secured storage and starting is around 6,000.00. Perhaps in three years the going price will be much higher than 35,000.00 ?

Good news...you're going to love Spain. I lived there for a year a long time ago and really enjoyed most everything.

Longshot, but maybe the Land Cruiser Heritage museum in SLC might put it on display for you.

I was in the Navy, stationed in both Norfolk and Charleston...road submarines....and for long deployments there were several long term storage warehouses that catered to sailors. In Va. there was something over near Portsmouth NSY. And in Charleston, near Goose Creak.

When I was transferred from west to east coast and immediately sent on a med cruise, my dad found clean storage for my cars in NY....so don’t count out your relatives.

As far as letting someone drive your rig, I’m not sure I would go that route...there’s insurance and tags, etc...I remember pulling carburetors and draining fuel tanks, fresh oil and engine coolant....with the last step pulling spark plugs and squirting oil in the cylinders...leaving the plugs finger tight.

Stop at Honey Don’t Cry in Rota down by the marina and see if Yolanda still works there....😉

Also, see if you can get an inexpensive video camera pointed at it so you can check on the truck remotely. Both for security and you will probably start missing your truck. Agree with the above, don’t trust friends as there situations can change quickly. Invest some money in protecting the investment in your truck.

Wouldn’t sell it.

Build me a shed on a concrete slab and you can house that bad boy in my backyard!! At damneck just extended here in VB for another 3 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom