HELP - 1969 FJ40 rewire with Kwikwire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to the ones who celebrate.

So, I am rewiring my 1969 FJ40 with the kwikwire. I am stuck in the charging system / voltage regulator part of the wiring.

My alternator has a B terminal and E F N male terminals.
My voltage regulator has E F and IG terminals.
I know the E F terminals of the alternator connect to the E F terminals of Voltage regulator.
How do I connect the B terminal of the alternator? Does it connect directly to the battery? Does it connect to the selinoid?
Which ignition wire connects to the IG terminal of the voltage regulator?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you for your response.

I am rewiring the entire car with a aftermarket wir harness and using the original voltage regulator and Alternator

Sorry, There are 2 questions. I want to get this correct and not cause a fire or damage the wire harness.

From Alternator B terminal straight to to the battery?

What about the IG terminal of the voltage regulator?

IGN means ignition. That wire is connected to switched 12v (ignition switch on position).

IGN means ignition. That wire is connected to switched 12v (ignition switch on position).
Thank you again. Obviously I'm new to this so I appreciate your patience.

Now here is my new set of questions.

My Kwikwire harness ignition group wires has 4 wires labeled:
1) ignition coil
2) ignition power
3) ignition Accessories
4) starter solenoid

On their instruction, ignition coil wire connects to the IGN terminal.

Do I connect the IGN wire from voltage regulator to the same terminal on the switch where ignition coil connects to?

16404945927372091658016555140523.jpg

Look at it this way, when the key is OFF , there is nothing. When you turn the key , as we all do, it goes to "IGN" first and usually you continue to "START" position. Then when it STARTS, You spring back to "IGN". So any item electrically tied to "IGN", will be tied to that. Hope this helps.

I think the IGN wire from the voltage regulator has to be switched power, not necessary directly connected to the IGN on the switch.

You should use these links to understand how your cruiser was originally wired. There are a couple of differences in how a universal kit handles turn signals, brake lights and flashers from how Mr. Toyoda designed the LC.

Look at it this way, when the key is OFF , there is nothing. When you turn the key , as we all do, it goes to "IGN" first and usually you continue to "START" position. Then when it STARTS, You spring back to "IGN". So any item electrically tied to "IGN", will be tied to that. Hope this helps.
Great... thank you. I will try that.

I think the IGN wire from the voltage regulator has to be switched power, not necessary directly connected to the IGN on the switch.

You should use these links to understand how your cruiser was originally wired. There are a couple of differences in how a universal kit handles turn signals, brake lights and flashers from how Mr. Toyoda designed the LC.
Thank you. I'll look into it.

Sorry to bump and old thread, but @Peddyk were you able to figure out how to properly account for the Voltage regulator? I have the same kit as you bought/installed, and I want to ensure I'm getting it right. Thanks~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom