Hell's creek & Rough Country lift kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.classychassisas.com
I just picked up a 67 fj40 and going to be doing a frame off on it. will post some pics of current condition and do a write up on the restoration as i go along. I was looking at the different lift kits out there. For the most part somone has something negative to say just about any kit out there. That said. Hells Creek seems to be a popular choice. But i couldn't help to notice that Hell's Creek and Rough Country look very similar and practicly have the same exact part number. HC part number being HC-735 and RC being 735H and the stabelizer part number being identicle @ 87435.

Alot of people have negative things to say about rough country and love hells creek. IS it because of the cheap price from rough country that makes people not like it? I personally think its the same product.

I was planning on going with the HC since thats what alot of people like.

Thanks,
Mike

If you are going to the great expense of doing a frame off resto, don't cheap out on the suspension. There are other options out there. Yes those options may cost a bit more. It would suck to spend a ton of $$$ and time on such an involved project, only to be upset with how it rides on the street. As you stated there are tons of opinions on here. Use the search feature, read, absorb, and weigh how you plan to drive your rig with all the information you will find. Do not take this as bagging on the Rough Country or Hell Creek, as I am not because I do not have experience with them, or any other off the shelf FJ40 lift kit. I am saying don't limit yourself to just those 2 kits with such an involved project.

Just to list a couple other options. OME (Old man Emu), custom springs from a company such as ALCAN or Deaver, with your choice of shocks. I am sure there are more that I am forgetting.

Oh and :flipoff2: WELCOME Newbie! don't get mad at the smiley it is how we say hi here.

If you are going to the great expense of doing a frame off resto, don't cheap out on the suspension. There are other options out there. Yes those options may cost a bit more. It would suck to spend a ton of $$$ and time on such an involved project, only to be upset with how it rides on the street. As you stated there are tons of opinions on here. Use the search feature, read, absorb, and weigh how you plan to drive your rig with all the information you will find. Do not take this as bagging on the Rough Country or **** Creek, as I am not because I do not have experience with them, or any other off the shelf FJ40 lift kit. I am saying don't limit yourself to just those 2 kits with such an involved project.

Just to list a couple other options. OME (Old man Emu), custom springs from a company such as ALCAN or Deaver, with your choice of shocks. I am sure there are more that I am forgetting.

Oh and ************ WELCOME Newbie! don't get mad at the smiley it is how we say hi here.

Hey Thanks,

I was actually thinking about the HFS springs and using bilstien shocks. I have been doing alot of looking to choose the kit i want. I have even thought of just getting a good set of springs and choosing my own shocks. I have heard some good things about the hfs springs with the ome shocks. Any helpfull advice would be great. As i don't want to go cheap on anything. but at the same time don't want to overspend either if its not going to make a difference. :steer:

I have read a lot of posts on here, H*ll Creek does make their own, but they also sell Rough County springs for vehicles they do not make them for. I have not read anything bad about H*ll Creek lifts in a long time, at one point someone thought they were to short, but I think they changed them. I have read a lot of bad stuff about Rough Country. I just did the search on this site and every other thing I could find. I placed my order with H*ll Creek on Friday. There are more expensive options and cheaper ones. Every one here praises H*ll Creek so that is what I went with.

I'm also in the process of getting some new springs and am working through logistics of getting them to New Zealand.

For what it's worth, trawling through the wealth of info here I have learned that chosing which spring kit to get is far from a black-and-white choice: there are many pro's and con's for each product offering but one very clear fact stands out - everyone has nothing but good to say about the customer service from Tom at Hell Creek.

So if I can work out how to get them to NZ, I'm also going for his springs with the Bilstein 5125 shocks. Otherwise I think I'd opt for Alcan custom springs.

Keen to see your writeup once they arrive ;o)

As being a person that was in your shoes about a month ago, I decided to go with Hell Creek. First, Hell Creek makes their own springs for the fj40. I am currently waiting on my springs from them. The hold up is that they were waiting on steel to arrive. Tom's family owns a spring factory and he has the factory produce the springs for hell creek is my understanding. The springs are lifetime warranted to the original buyer. The short spring problem has been taken care of and it's my understanding that those who had issues with short springs contacted Tom and he replaced them immediately. I went ahead and purchased the full kit from Tom ie u bolts, 16 bushings (spring eyelet size), steering stabilizer. I didn't buy the shocks though. I purchased a set of bilsteins from a fellow mudder, purchased stock length anti-inversion greasable shackles and pins plus 8 stock size bushings from sor. I am currently waiting for the springs to arrive to install. The total cost of everything I believe was 900 bucks. While OME is nice, and it is preferred, I couldn't see myself spending the big money on that set for something I'll hardly drive except on the weekends and im more of just a off the paved road type of wheeler. However if your planning on driving it every day and hitting the trails often OME I have heard is the best route to go

See i'm doing a frame off restoration to my 67. I don't think i will be out off road. I'm more or less doing it purely for cosmetics. I have been tossing the idea back and forth to maybe even just buy oem springs and keep it stock. But i like the look of a lifted fj40 with taller narrow mud tires.

In your opinions..... Since i'm going to try and get as close to factory look as i can should i stick with oem springs and height or go with the Sexy lifted look :D

Thanks,
Mike

oh crikey - don't ask what to do with your FJ40 - I believe you've just opened up the "SOA" can of responses! :p

For me a 40 needs a little lift and a little larger then stock tires. 100% stock height with stock US sized tires just looks wrong to me. I could not decide between 2.5 and 4 inches. Went with 4 inches and will run 33's. I like the other will be mostly on road, I wonder what the real difference is between Hell Creek and OME springs and the others really are. I know alcan is a different boat as they make them for hight weight and you can really adjust the ride you will get with each order.

The most important factor for the suspension is how your going to use your 40. I agree that a lifted 40 looks great on or off road. Take a look at how the restored CCOT rigs look with 4" lift and skinny 33's. My lift was done with the purpose of rock crawling and not a whole lot of thought about a smooth ride. If your rig will be on road primarily youll be looking for a completely different set up. No leafspring suspension rides great but there are definately options to smooth it out. Do your research before you blow alot of money. Oh yeah, welcome to the madness.:flipoff2:

If you really want to get confused ask what tires you should run.

update

Made up my mind i'm going to just leave it all factory. i started another post about the restoration and have posted some pics there if you guys would like to check it out. Thanks for everyones opinions.

Tom left a voicemail, saying that my springs are finished and will be on their way to me thursday... So it took about a month altogether from day ordered to day recieved assuming they arrive monday or tuesday. Anyways, Ill post some pics up when I get a chance.

My springs are getting made this week, but will not ship till the bushings come in.

az67fj40 as for leaving it factory I had no choice on the springs. All started with a brake job. Font drum full of grease, fixing that on pre 1968 axles very difficult. Found some 1977 axles so disc swap made sense. Broke the ubolt nuts off and the leaf springs that looked in very good shape fell apart. Center pin was just rusted dust. But the Really scary part is the leafs, In the middle each leaf was about 50% rusted away. Years of PO's painting them kept the outside looking good, but between the leafs on the inside was gone. So bad there was no way I was going to keep using them.

WOW! Lucky you found out about the leaves before you had a nasty accident. So it really does pay to peel back the layers of the onion ... complete Frame-Off is starting to sound more and more like the only way to go.

My springs are getting made this week, but will not ship till the bushings come in.

az67fj40 as for leaving it factory I had no choice on the springs. All started with a brake job. Font drum full of grease, fixing that on pre 1968 axles very difficult. Found some 1977 axles so disc swap made sense. Broke the ubolt nuts off and the leaf springs that looked in very good shape fell apart. Center pin was just rusted dust. But the Really scary part is the leafs, In the middle each leaf was about 50% rusted away. Years of PO's painting them kept the outside looking good, but between the leafs on the inside was gone. So bad there was no way I was going to keep using them.

Lucky for me Mine has beein in the hot dry desert all its life :) and has practicly no rust. no repaint on the frame or springs either. Only thing for me is the ugly front bumper that the po decided to put on and when doing that he tossed the frame extensions and gussets as well as the front bumper. so that set me back a little more than i was looking forward to.

OME makes a good product. Put them side by side will Alcan and the are a much better built spring. I would never go with Alcan. They didn't fit my FJ45 in the rear. Charles said he would make me a longer main leaf. All he did was de_arch the spring. I was super pissed after I paid $1100 and then another $75 in shipping back to him to have them fixed.

Are you doing spring over?

I have 4" lift suspension springs made by Skyjacker. They ride nice and off road nicely!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom