Hello! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! I’m Elizabeth, but I go by Liz, Lizzie, or Izzy (never Beth lol). I’m new to NM. I just moved here from San Diego in July. I drive a 2018 4Runner TRD Pro. She’s my baby. Her name is Freya. Yes, I’m that person who names their vehicles hahaha. I’ve always been a passenger when my bro and his friends went off-roading and loved every minute of it. Now I want to be the driver, and learn what it takes to be the driver. So, that’s some of who I am. I’m looking forward to meeting all of you, and thank you, for welcoming me to the group!

Welcome. Looks like the club's stable of Gen5 4Runners continues to grow.

Welcome and please try to make it to our breakfast next weekend!

Eventually we'll have you talked into getting a Landcrusier as your second ride :rofl: I think that's the unofficial vehicle ownership M.O. in this club, you can't just have ONE vehicle. Next thing you know, you'll be joining a 12 step program..... :hillbilly:

Eventually we'll have you talked into getting a Landcrusier as your second ride :rofl: I think that's the unofficial vehicle ownership M.O. in this club, you can't just have ONE vehicle. Next thing you know, you'll be joining a 12 step program..... :hillbilly:
Oh gawd. How many of us fit this profile? If anything we will help you spend your money. :beer:

Welcome! We look forward to meeting you, and meeting Freya as well, hopefully on the trail somewhere!

Thank you! I’d already planned on going next weekend ;). I’ve been looking into getting an ‘86-‘89 4Runner. I had one many years ago but it died and the bf at the time deemed it a goner. I was broken hearted (still am tbh) and still think about it, so now I’m on the hunt for another one. This is one addiction I don’t mind having :hillbilly:.

Welcome, and lets see some more pics of Freya.

Thanks! I don’t have that many pics of her.....yet. But I’ll post what I got.

8AE0866B-DE6C-445D-BA15-338F91F55CA4.jpeg

A037EECD-58BC-4DEA-B8A2-FD136B46D16B.jpeg

E42BB019-FFA6-4643-97F8-3E1A873EDC85.jpeg

F6AD3ED8-DF54-44F3-9CB1-22BAA0278CD5.jpeg

Welcome! that's a cool color. we just got a silver one.

not yet, but we have an FJ Cruiser, FJ40, FJ45, and FJmix. my avitar is the FJ40. I put up a thread on the lift for the runner. we'll get out soon, I'm sure. we have been thinking of inviting the group for an outing in the Jemez.

not yet, but we have an FJ Cruiser, FJ40, FJ45, and FJmix. my avitar is the FJ40. I put up a thread on the lift for the runner. we'll get out soon, I'm sure. we have been thinking of inviting the group for an outing in the Jemez.

Do you rotate through your FJs daily? Like, "I drove the FJ45 yesterday, so I'll drive the FJmix today" hahaha.:rofl:

I saw that! I'm in the process of researching bumpers. I feel like that should be first on my list especially since I drive through the Jemez fairly regularly. I don't need a deer or elk to rearrange my front end.

That would be an awesome outing! I love the Jemez. I'm definitely down for that outing!

I'm not the best guy to take advice from on modifying your vehicle because I'm tighter than bark on a tree and it takes me years to make up my mind. But I would recommend getting sliders/rock rails as your first upgrade. It's pretty easy to slide into a rock/tree/ditch/ dirt berm and crunch a rocker or door. That's a much more likely event to occur than a frontal impact. Not saying a front bumper is a bad idea and they look great. Sliders are kind of boring and most folks don't notice them. But repairing a trashed rocker will get real expensive real fast.

Oh, and welcome. That's a very nice looking rig. It needs some mud and trail pin-striping on it now.

- Marc

I'm not the best guy to take advice from on modifying your vehicle because I'm tighter than bark on a tree and it takes me years to make up my mind. But I would recommend getting sliders/rock rails as your first upgrade. It's pretty easy to slide into a rock/tree/ditch/ dirt berm and crunch a rocker or door. That's a much more likely event to occur than a frontal impact. Not saying a front bumper is a bad idea and they look great. Sliders are kind of boring and most folks don't notice them. But repairing a trashed rocker will get real expensive real fast.

Oh, and welcome. That's a very nice looking rig. It needs some mud and trail pin-striping on it now.

- Marc

Thank you, Marc. I agree 100%! Now I just gotta find the mud. I like to do my research and get the opinions of people I trust before I make a decision. It’s all part of the process. It won’t take me years, but it does take time. I don’t like rushing into these kinds of things.

In terms of sliders, would you recommend bolt-ons or weld? Weld is most likely more expensive, but I’d think it’d be stronger than bolt-ons with fewer/no weak spots. I’m definitely open to suggestions/recommendations.

Bolt-on are plenty strong for all but the most extreme, hardcore wheeling. Just make sure they bolt onto the frame, not to the underbody, like a lot of cheap nerf bars and tube steps do. Don't get anything from places like Smittybuilt. There are bound to be plenty of companies out there that make good, strong sliders that bolt to the frame. I just don't have any 4Runner experience. Try some of these places to see if they have 4Runner parts: MetalTech, Slee, White Knuckle Offroad, Shrockworks, 4X4 Labs or just try a Google search for 4Runner Sliders. Here's a good article to get you started:
Best 4Runner Rock Sliders, Bolt-On 5th Gen 4Runner Rock Sliders

Those of us with the bigger Land Cruisers are pretty pleased with Slee, Metal Tech, 4X4 Labs, Bump It Off-road, Dissent Off-road, to name a few.

And get some opinions from the larger MUD community. There is bound to be a 4Runner/FJ Cruiser/GX470 forum section.

Last edited:
Bolt-on are plenty strong for all but the most extreme, hardcore wheeling. Just make sure they bolt onto the frame, not to the underbody, like a lot of cheap nerf bars and tube steps do. Don't get anything from places like Smittybuilt. There are bound to be plenty of companies out there that make good, strong sliders that bolt to the frame. I just don't have any 4Runner experience. Try some of these places to see if they have 4Runner parts: MetalTech, Slee, White Knuckle Offroad, Shrockworks, or just try a Google search for 4Runner Sliders. And get some opinions from the larger MUD community. There is bound to be a 4Runner/FJ Cruiser/GX470 forum section.

Perfect! Thank you!

weld on are MUCH cheaper for the 5th gen 4runner. I almost fell over at slider prices for these things. $500-800 for bolt on's is common.:confused: weld on's $160-300 with some variation outside those.

I believe the TRD Pro has a factory lift of about 2", so you are already good there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom