Hello world (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well i talked to luke and placed the order for a 4x4labs dual swingout rear bumper kit today for the 80. likely going to go buy the welder tomorrow, thinking millermatic 211... time to get serious!

i can't wait to get started, i've wanted this bumper since i first saw them. :bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce:

Thats a great welder!

well i have run the first test bead with the 211, on scrap of course. but i'm staring at a complete bumper kit in the garage and thinking if i take next week off i could make good progress on it. so i'm gonna be practicing like crazy this week and then just go for it... maybe post a new build thread here, since the 80 section has plenty already. ;)

well i have run the first test bead with the 211, on scrap of course. but i'm staring at a complete bumper kit in the garage and thinking if i take next week off i could make good progress on it. so i'm gonna be practicing like crazy this week and then just go for it... maybe post a new build thread here, since the 80 section has plenty already. ;)

Putting together the 4x4Labs rear bumper kit will give you LOTS of practice at welding and grinding. If you haven't done it already, invest in two portable 4" grinders - one with a aggressive stone or 40 grit sandpaper disc, the other one with a 80 grit flapper/sandpaper disc

Putting together the 4x4Labs rear bumper kit will give you LOTS of practice at welding and grinding. If you haven't done it already, invest in two portable 4" grinders - one with a aggressive stone or 40 grit sandpaper disc, the other one with a 80 grit flapper/sandpaper disc

My gosh yes. I use those 80 grit flap disks almost as much as I use cut-off disks. I hardly ever use the stone grinding disks. And if you buy cut-off disks, purchase at least 10 at a time. You will find them very useful for not only cutting, but for cutting your welds when you need to redo a mistake.

The Home Depot had a package deal - two Makita for $60 or so.

Yeah I have one 4"now, some sanding discs of various grit, a flap, a few cutoff and a stone grinding one... and a big 7 something grinder with sanding disc... Not switching discs would be nice for sure!

Swypo'd from my droid using IH8MUD

I used a Harbor Freight grinder as a secondary grinder for about 2 years until the brushes and springs melted into the house...worked out to be about $15 a year + consumables;)

well i'm almost ready to declare pseudo victory without really battling much but my paranoia...
to refresh, thought i had the hg going out in the 80 last mtg in january... saw muck in the pcv catch trap *thought* i smelled coolant in it... stopleaked it, it held, then dropped (coolant level) guessing now that was a burp from the stopleak addition... started into the hg swap (a few hours, almost to the valve cover) got pissed/came to my senses. stopped, its been sitting torn apart in the garage as i left it till about 2 weeks ago. finally put it back together, been driving it for a week with no coolant level change, bought a coolant system pressure tester (should have at the beginning)... tested it today, no pressure drop in 5mins. i did this cold, so i'll likely repeat at warm, but combined with no coolant loss, i'm thinking it was a condensation scare and the power of paranoia that sent me down a rabbit hole i'd care not to be....

good thing is it pushed me to get the atlas swap lined up i've always wanted. going to drive to boise and have a shop there do it that has done them before... scheduled right around cruise moab timeframe right now... i was going to do it myself and have done quite a bit of research, but after talking quite a bit with the shop and getting a quote, i'm going to drive it the 1k miles up there and let them do it.

anyone interested in an 1fzfe+a442f? will be just south of 200k on the original motor, major tune up about 5k ago, she purrs like an asthmatic kitten/FZ. haven't done the hg, but blows like 12 parts carbon on smog (out of 100+ allowable) the trans is good too. i haven't thought about price or if i'll even bring it back down after, less likely unless someone commits to it before i head up...

sl33p3 said:
well i'm almost ready to declare pseudo victory without really battling much but my paranoia...
to refresh, thought i had the hg going out in the 80 last mtg in january... saw muck in the pcv catch trap *thought* i smelled coolant in it... stopleaked it, it held, then dropped (coolant level) guessing now that was a burp from the stopleak addition... started into the hg swap (a few hours, almost to the valve cover) got pissed/came to my senses. stopped, its been sitting torn apart in the garage as i left it till about 2 weeks ago. finally put it back together, been driving it for a week with no coolant level change, bought a coolant system pressure tester (should have at the beginning)... tested it today, no pressure drop in 5mins. i did this cold, so i'll likely repeat at warm, but combined with no coolant loss, i'm thinking it was a condensation scare and the power of paranoia that sent me down a rabbit hole i'd care not to be....

good thing is it pushed me to get the atlas swap lined up i've always wanted. going to drive to boise and have a shop there do it that has done them before... scheduled right around cruise moab timeframe right now... i was going to do it myself and have done quite a bit of research, but after talking quite a bit with the shop and getting a quote, i'm going to drive it the 1k miles up there and let them do it.

anyone interested in an 1fzfe+a442f? will be just south of 200k on the original motor, major tune up about 5k ago, she purrs like an asthmatic kitten/FZ. haven't done the hg, but blows like 12 parts carbon on smog (out of 100+ allowable) the trans is good too. i haven't thought about price or if i'll even bring it back down after, less likely unless someone commits to it before i head up...

I still want the other 1FZ sitting in your garage. Just gotta figure a time to come and get it.

I still want the other 1FZ sitting in your garage. Just gotta figure a time to come and get it.

roger wilco... it has had your name on it.

for the record ali among others was right, i should have tested the coolant system, and shouldn't have started the hg.

well... the 80 is gone. Just couldn't make the swap work out. The guy who did it has bought it back and as of yesterday says it's a whole new truck at sealevel, which is cool, and not super surprising.

sooo. I guess that ends this build thread. Maybe someday i'll start one for the 4Runner.

Can't wait to hear about your next project!!!:D

Hmmm..I'm thinking something like this

76320947-AB80-488E-B273-A7531659B3A2_zps4kdaraw9.jpg

Buy a 100-series and have Slee put a solid axle under the front of it.

Where is the fridge gonna sit?

Sent from my XT1080

Hole in the Rock will sure be easier in that than the 80. :lol:

You can do the entire trail in a day.

:)

Sorry to hear John it didn't work out. I told you not to listen to Ash. Just sayin'.

:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom