Hello, Thanks, and a cup holder... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello good people of ih8mud! I'm a new member today, though I've been reading for a few years already. I'm a current owner of a 2000 LX. This one has lived most of it's life in NYC, and it still does! I've racked about 20K miles since I've taken ownership and hope for many more! This forum has helped me baseline the truck and do some much needed maintenance(wheel bearings, heater T's, fluids, etc...). So, many thanks for that!

I thought I'd share my solution for the cupholder conundrum that many of us new owners find ourselves in. It's simple and a bit humble, but it holds everything up to Yeti sized tumblers without issue. It's also easily removed or stowed if necessary. Mine is pressure fit, which has not caused any issues- however, a bit of velcro or double sided tape could make it more permanent. I've been using it for about a year with no issues, so I feel it's a worthwhile endeavor.

It's basically an 8 ply walnut cutout. I made this one by cutting 8 separate veneers on a cricut vinyl cutter then stacking and gluing them up with CA glue. I made a few protoypes out of cardstock to check the fit, then moved on to cutting the wood veneers. Obviously, one could make it from any wood, plastic or plywood. I just happened to have everything at hand to make it this way.
I included the cut file to use for a template, which should help make the process a bit less trial and error. I used CA as a finish and ended up sanding the edges for a solid fit. As such, that's how the template is presented: just big enough to sand down the edges for a good fit.
Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone, and if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!
Thanks again!

Cup holder empty.jpg

Cup holder loaded.jpg

paper cupholder cutout small.jpg

Cup holder plies.jpg

Cup holder 7.23 3.66.png

That’s neat. I like it.

Hello good people of ih8mud! I'm a new member today, though I've been reading for a few years already. I'm a current owner of a 2000 LX. This one has lived most of it's life in NYC, and it still does! I've racked about 20K miles since I've taken ownership and hope for many more! This forum has helped me baseline the truck and do some much needed maintenance(wheel bearings, heater T's, fluids, etc...). So, many thanks for that!

I thought I'd share my solution for the cupholder conundrum that many of us new owners find ourselves in. It's simple and a bit humble, but it holds everything up to Yeti sized tumblers without issue. It's also easily removed or stowed if necessary. Mine is pressure fit, which has not caused any issues- however, a bit of velcro or double sided tape could make it more permanent. I've been using it for about a year with no issues, so I feel it's a worthwhile endeavor.

It's basically an 8 ply walnut cutout. I made this one by cutting 8 separate veneers on a cricut vinyl cutter then stacking and gluing them up with CA glue. I made a few protoypes out of cardstock to check the fit, then moved on to cutting the wood veneers. Obviously, one could make it from any wood, plastic or plywood. I just happened to have everything at hand to make it this way.
I included the cut file to use for a template, which should help make the process a bit less trial and error. I used CA as a finish and ended up sanding the edges for a solid fit. As such, that's how the template is presented: just big enough to sand down the edges for a good fit.
Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone, and if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!
Thanks again!

View attachment 3072530

View attachment 3072531

View attachment 3072533

View attachment 3072534

View attachment 3072536
What an oversight they originally had with these cupholders. Thanks for sharing, it's the little things in life that sometimes bring the most joy. Cannot imagine having the LX in NYC, I assume you have a garage somewhere. Just me being a noob as most of the time I am in NYC I take a cab or uber everywhere and never considered how challenging owning/maintaining a 470 would be in the city.

Yeah, after the 3rd or 4th coffee spill during one weekend trip, I set out to find a solution. I don't have a 3d printer, or I'd probably have made something more substantial, but I've had zero spills with this little unit. Also, I like that I can either remove it(which I rarely do to fit a 1 liter bottle) or just close the little cover with it still in place.

This is the largest car I've owned in NYC. Thankfully, it's not *that* much bigger than most cars here. I almost always park on the street, but a friend has a garage and driveway where we work on our vehicles. Mine came with a professionally installed backup camera(on the rearview mirror), which is almost a necessity. I recently got a wide angle one, which is much better. NYC parking is downright annoying in every neighborhood these days.
Personally, I don't feel public garages are any safer than parking on the street in Queens, your car is just as likely to get crunched during a parking fiasco. Actually, I think garages are worse because of the nature of parking lots: pulling nose in or out of a narrow space is more likely to get a nice dent in a door or fender. Street parking is tough on your bumpers, but I feel less likely to get side swiped. Who knows, maybe fate will prove me wrong!
Also, I'm not always the largest car parked on the block. This may have been the biggest SUV in Y2K, but compared to the new trucks barreling down the road, it feels downright sensible! ;)

Am I the only one who’s center piece works well enough for all sorts of drinks, except massive big gulps which I don’t drink anyway.

Am I the only one who’s center piece works well enough for all sorts of drinks, except massive big gulps which I don’t drink anyway.
The early model 100's have the compromised cup holders, unsure of the exact years, they are almost useless. Unless you need a stain on your trousers or seat. 3d printing has brought some options but you lose the door cover. Really not much to pick on about the 100 series. Okay, ABS booster brakes and heater Tees.

The early model 100's have the compromised cup holders, unsure of the exact years, they are almost useless. Unless you need a stain on your trousers or seat. 3d printing has brought some options but you lose the door cover. Really not much to pick on about the 100 series. Okay, ABS booster brakes and heater Tees.

I wasn't aware. So this center piece for the cupholders is not used in the earlier models? Although the same alignment tick marks are there in OP pics?
1659233078896.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom